Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

Sony Pictures gets pwned

Click for full size
quote:
Hacked By #GOP

Warning:

We’ve already wasned you, and this is just a beggining.
We continue till our request be met.
We’ve obtained all your Internal data, Including your secrets and top secrets.
If you don’t obey us, we’ll release data shown below to the world.
Determine what will you do till November the 24th, 11:00 PM (GMT).

quote:
According to a Reddit poster (name withheld per request), who says he is also an ex-employee of Sony Pictures, a friend who still works there has informed him that every computer in the New York office, and, reportedly, every Sony Pictures office across the nation, bears this image:

»www.business2community.c ··· Elxdl.99

Blake

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

It's now 0135 GMT on the 25th. Anything happen?

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Reddit has a thread going with some spotty grepped info on the file samples offered back to Sony by #GOP.

»www.reddit.com/r/hacking ··· d_still/

Supposedly GOP = Guardians Of Peace.
jap

jap to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

potentially germain to this forum

from Reddit comments:

XTornado
I did download it two txt files and one readme with some mails in case the zip goes down they send you a copy. The first two files are some kind of list (they are caled list1.txt and list2.txt They are FUCKING HUGE... the first one 600 MB the second one 388 Mb aprox.... Notepad ++ doesn't want to open them it says after a while "thinking" that they are too big to be openend and wel notepad it's still there thinking i don't know if i will read it anytime soon... probabily in linux i could read them , i'm in windows now, just reading line by line and not trying to open the full file like this editors try to do.

EDIT: well... notepad just finished... It's a list of files... i gues is the list of files they hacked from sony... so i guess the emails in readme are to send you the real data ... There is a lot of interesting things in the list from movies,... mostly docs an excels , some inventory reports,... i don't think theres is something really relevant...but there is tons of files... and well i have only the names i don't know what the hell is inside some files... The thing is that i love it.... it's very interesting way to know how they work inside sony... I would like to get the files i might send the email to the readme emails... but i'm a little worried about consequences...
tehrabbitt
I have no interest in the files nor would I recommend e-mailing them. I am curious to how they were compromised however, and via what avenue (Driveby download? Trojan? E-Mail? new 0-Day we haven't seen yet?) etc.
ZPrimed
Given that they are supposedly seeing the screen on all desktops throughout the company, I wonder if someone used the recent Kerberos domain controller hole to 'sploit their AD and give themselves Domain Admin rights, and from there group policy some nastiness down to everything in the company.
tehrabbitt
This is the exact situation I am fearful of... if that is the case, we may see this much more wide-spread than just Sony.

I myself spent many hours up after-hours the night Microsoft released the patches for the security hole, (»technet.microsoft.com/li ··· MS14-068) making sure all my systems, primarily domain controllers and internet-accessible servers, were patched accordingly for this very reason.
Yaroze
Ouch, That's going to hurt if that was the exploit that was used. Although I expect we'll never know.
tehrabbitt
I hope Sony Entertainment Announces what the exploit was, or at least shares some detail in their official post-mortem as it would help benefit the IT community as a whole.
EndlessIke
If they figure it out, I would imagine it will become publicly known. If I was a shareholder I would damn sure want to know WTF happened.

permalink to above dialog: »www.reddit.com/r/hacking ··· /cmbswzb

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to jap

MVM

to jap

Re: Sony Pictures gets pwned

said by jap:

Supposedly GOP = Guardians Of Peace

So again why Sony as it isn't like they are the POW = Promoters of War or anything.

Blake
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to jap

to jap

quote:
Notepad ++ doesn't want to open them it says after a while "thinking" that they are too big to be openend and wel notepad it's still there thinking i don't know if i will read it anytime soon...
Well files of that size are better opened in Word or Wordpad (If I try to open a file over XX size with notepad,i get a popup "Are you sure you want to open this large file"

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: Sony Pictures gets pwned

Maybe someone is still pissed about the CD fiasco. Having to buy a CD for each device was a bit much.

Does Sony have anything really excessively restrictive in any product that would go against fair use? The bug seems to have hit Sony cell phones, too.
Davek
join:2014-07-17

2 recommendations

Davek

As a victim of Sony's CD root kit, I have to admit I have zero sympathy for Sony. May the #GOP rip them to pieces.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

I'm not fan of Sony either. I haven't purchased any of their products in years.

These days people are more about revenge (via cyberattacks in many cases) rather than justice.

I say hit them in the pocket book by not buying their stuff. IMO that's far more likely to have an effect on them.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

That would be a lot of movies/tv to not watch, and a lot of music to not listen to.
Davek
join:2014-07-17

Davek to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I'm like you, Stu. I'm not out for revenge, I just don't buy Sony and never will. Still, I do enjoy seeing them getting a taste of their own medicine.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

To EUS See Profile

So you'd rather have your cake (movies/TV/music) and eat it too. My point exactly.
StuartMW

StuartMW to Davek

Premium Member

to Davek
Nothing wrong with Schadenfreude when it's deserved

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
As I am not boycotting Sony, I have no problem "eating my cake".

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Well the only one that deserves it more than Sony is monsantos. So whatever.

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

That would be a lot of movies/tv to not watch, and a lot of music to not listen to.

Not buying = not viewing/listening? An odd false equivalency to utter these days.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

EUS

Premium Member

How would one boycott Sony yet go watch a sony production in the theatres or listen to an artist signed to sony?
Didn't Sony (with partners) win the hi def war with Blu-ray?

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap

Premium Member

said by EUS:

How would one boycott Sony

Erm, copyright infringement, library borrowing, neighborhood collection sharing. Been alot of it about for the last 30 years. I assumed maybe you'd heard.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

If that's your definition of boycott, ok.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Another funny coincidence:
»www.cultofmac.com/303689 ··· t-worry/

Sony was to do the film.

Are the fanbois that bad?
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

North Korea may be responsible for the Sony attack: »www.foxnews.com/tech/201 ··· testnews

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
quote:
(Reuters) - The Federal Bureau of Investigation warned U.S. businesses that hackers have used malicious software to launch a destructive cyberattack in the United States, following a devastating breach last week at Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Cybersecurity experts said the malicious software described in the alert appeared to describe the one that affected Sony, which would mark first major destructive cyber attack waged against a company on U.S. soil. Such attacks have been launched in Asia and the Middle East, but none have been reported in the United States. The FBI report did not say how many companies had been victims of destructive attacks. [...]
»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20141202

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

3 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

such a useless reuters article - it says nothing about how the payload that ruins your FAT is delivered or detectable - and that sony screener leak blame story is already a week old.

I honestly don't think this was the N.Koreans - we always seem to over estimate their impact and abilities. N.Korea is a cash starved country, so it's more likely they'd be in a Russian credit card scam, then electronically nuking Sony for offending their deal leader. However, in a way it's a good thing this method was used on Sony movies, so security agencies have time to study it before it's used on a much more important target.

more details on what was compromised: »www.buzzfeed.com/tomgara ··· ony-hack
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Homie Don't Play

the attack on "sony" is said to be retribution for sony''s producing a film about assassinating north korea's Kim Jong-un:

»www.telegraph.co.uk/news ··· ilm.html

it seems kind of stupid that the FBI sent out warnings to other businesses in the US when it is "sony" alone that is being targetted..
gnome84
join:2014-04-12
Saint Paul, MN

gnome84

I've read Sony is investigating the North Koreans & that Fire Eye Inc was hired for forensic analysis

more info here:
»recode.net/2014/11/30/so ··· g-sites/

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

such a useless reuters article -

Jim Finkle of Reuters does some excellent reporting but I'm not Jim Finkle.

SONY apparently have some issues protecting their properties and have called in the FBI and other parties.

»arstechnica.com/security ··· e-films/
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Click for full size
Some times we have to think out of the box "How to catch a fish" ¿ ¿

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

North Korea may be responsible for the Sony attack...

North Korea hardly has electricity let alone computers. I'd guess the attack came from outside of NK but in their name.

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan to Link Logger

to Link Logger
AP reports that security experts doubt N. Korea behind attacks, now suspect hacktivists: »mobile.barchart.com/news ··· =3993836

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

I would be one of those who doubt North Korea was behind this, but I also have my doubts this is just some hacktivit group either and hence the warning from the FBI. Its not government sponsored, but I suspect its organization sponsored.

Blake