Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: Sony Pictures gets pwned

said by Link Logger:

... so someone has to come up with a better smoking gun then the crap presented so far.

Agreed.

SONY's IT Security must be loving it though.
After all ya can't blame them for being hacked via state sponsored hacking.
The list of excuses is growing proportionally with the number of high profile breaches.
"Unprecedented"
"unparalleled"
"undetectable"
"unique"

Latest excuse:
"state sponsored"

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

... I want something other then 'someone said' as proof that North Korea is responsible for this attack as that is utter bullshit. Saying the proof is the IP address was in North Korea is utter bullshit as well. Contents or style of the code, sorry that isn't evidence either as I can whip up malware in whatever style you want, slip in some variable names or references of whatever language or culture you want, what does that prove, nothing, any X letter agency or hacker group worth its left nut could do the same, so someone has to come up with a better smoking gun then the crap presented so far.

Blake

I'm curious... in your estimation, what would constitute a sufficiently 'smoking gun'? If it involves black-world, deep-level traffic and intercept analysis back to some specific NK perps, there is no way they'll ever release that. There's way too much disclosure of capabilities, tactics, and infra-knowledge in that... unless they sanitize it so much that it no longer has any credibility. So, barring that, what would suffice, in your opinion?

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 edit

2 recommendations

Link Logger

MVM

said by Blackbird:

If it involves black-world, deep-level traffic and intercept analysis back to some specific NK perps

And that is ultimately the problem as there is a serious trust issue for things of this level after the whole Iraqi affair and if you toss in the Stuxnet adventure (hello pot meet kettle), phone taps on so called Allied leaders etc, I'm more then just a tad leery of the US government claiming any sort of high ground justification for just about any kind of punitive action.

I'm not convinced that this is North Korea at all, as there are tons of other usual suspects, but if you gave me evidence why its not any one of them (beyond 'someone said who isn't named because they aren't allowed to discuss the matter', like what the hell is that?), then perhaps I'd believe North Korea, but right now it sounds like North Korea is just a convenient fall guy to push forward some sort of alternative objective.

Blake

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

And that's the problem when individuals/organizations/governments tell bold faced lies [in general]. One doesn't know when they're telling the truth or lying.

The US government is very unlikely to release what it knows about this hack. One either trusts them or they don't.

Personally I think it's the kind of thing the Norks would do but I'm not 100% sure.

PS: The US is between a rock and a hard place. If evidence is released many would claim it was manufactured and it'd be dismissed. By not releasing anything it promotes conspiracy theories (which I doubt are valid in this particular case).
StuartMW

StuartMW to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
quote:
Internet connectivity between North Korea and the outside world, though never robust to begin with, is currently suffering one of its worst outages in recent memory, suggesting that the country may be enduring a mass cyber attack a few days after President Obama warned the US would launch a "proportional response" to North Korea's hack against Sony.
»www.vox.com/2014/12/22/7 ··· net-down

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

... I'm not convinced that this is North Korea at all, as there are tons of other usual suspects, but if you gave me evidence why its not any one of them (beyond 'someone said who isn't named because they aren't allowed to discuss the matter', like what the hell is that?), then perhaps I'd believe North Korea ...

But wouldn't that entail proving a 'negative' or the absence of hacking by each of however many (countless?) 'other' potential perps? Which, if I recall my logic classes, is essentially impossible to do. Moreover, attempting to prove such 'negatives' would entail disclosing the same "dark" information about "means and methods" which black agencies are historically unwilling to do.

From my perspective, "official" US gumint' leaders should have simply kept their mouths shut about assigning blame. Period! As StuartMW See Profile just stated, "one doesn't know when they're telling the truth or lying." With their track record to date, they should just keep still. If there's real truth to the NK involvement, then it should be dealt with accordingly, off the record, as it has always been done in the past. Trying such cases in the "court of public opinion" invariably leads to issues of one's past credibility and having to disclose far more than is prudent about means and methods.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Confirm .... and it is time to see some defences, B 4 another attack {{{ GRIN }}}

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Just heard a "security expert" on TV say that NK only has four (4) connections to (backbones?) the internet. He went on to say that the US has some 150,000.

If true it shouldn't be too hard to cut 'em off for a long time.
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

{{{ SMILE }}} ..... interesting CHESS game :"We usually think of cyberwar as a secretive world, dominated by spooks and shadowy government agencies. So why did South Korea recently admit that it is developing a cyberweapon to cripple the North's nuclear capabilities?"...... we will see how the Big_brother CHINA reaction ¿ ¿

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

I'm watching a bunch of "experts" on TV arguing whether

• The US counterattacked NK.

• NK turned it off themselves to prevent any attack (they do that from time to time it seems).

• The Chinese turned it off (apparent NK gets its access through China).

One guy said " only 4 people get internet access in NK anyway"
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

One guy said " only 4 people get internet access in NK anyway"

On one hand we like to enjoy ourselves laughing at their extremely limited capabilities. On the other hand we like to entertain the idea of them, taking huge amount of data from Sony... Is it even possible to link these two thoughts together? Or may we be better listen to "official" tails from "experts" on TV in this case and keep laughing at ourselves?

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by OZO:

Is it even possible to link these two thoughts together?

From what I've read/heard NK has a Unit 121 who are located outside NK.
quote:
According to US intelligence analyst, Steve Sin, the hackers operate out of a North Korea-owned luxury hotel in Shenyang, China.
If true the two things aren't contradictory.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

So, those hacks were coming form China and not form the NK? Or may be they booked at some other hotels, e.g. in Nevada? And they say, a room in hotel now has greater networking capabilities, than whole NK. Yeah, right ... but, whatever.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

3 edits

humanfilth to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Looks at the moment that Lizard Squad took down Best Korea.
Lizard Squad DDOS Attack North Korea

A couple of days ago, a big scan was done of Best Korea IP address range.
»pay.reddit.com/r/netsec/ ··· p_space/

Sony reminds me of a house that gets broken into and gets their things stolen, because they did not bother with locking the doors. So when all the things are replaced 1 month later, you walk in again and get more things, because they still don't lock the doors. I have heard of houses like that too. Burglars love double dipping.

NKoreaDown
@50.182.138.x

NKoreaDown to Link Logger

Anon

to Link Logger

USA shuts down N. Korea Internet

Looks like the USA has shut down N.Korea internet, not that anyone in N. Korea would notice the difference between up or down.

»apnews.myway.com//articl ··· 5b4.html
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Re: Sony Pictures gets pwned

Click for full size
Sinced midnight ..... just BLANK page from everywhere [ OUCH ]

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to humanfilth

Premium Member

to humanfilth
Can't be Lizard Squad they where taken down and put in jail! & They have attacked Sony. »finance.yahoo.com/news/h ··· 021.html

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

This might get highly weird as all sorts of fringe hacker groups get involved so heads up.

At this point we know the 5 internet users in North Korea are gonzo, 3 of them because their batteries ran out and the other 2 because their internet has been killed.

Blake

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
said by 85160670:

Sinced midnight ..... just BLANK...

Just like NK itself.
StuartMW

StuartMW to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Here's some technical data on the apparent North Korea take-down.

»www.arbornetworks.com/as ··· offline/

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to chip89

to chip89
said by chip89:

Can't be Lizard Squad they where taken down and put in jail! & They have attacked Sony.

Oh darn. I was so enjoying this global party between Finest Squad and Lizard Squad.

Tis time again for Hacktivists to rise up and publish secret documents from the many corrupt North American Corporations. Unfortunately still none of the outed Executives going to prison for their crimes. Maybe if they found the alt-emails that name high ranking politicians being in crime collusion.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Internet outage seen in North Korea amid U.S. hacking dispute
quote:
(Reuters) - North Korea, at the center of a confrontation with the United States over the hacking of Sony pictures, itself experienced Internet outages on Monday, a U.S. company that monitors Internet infrastructure said.

New Hampshire-based Dyn Research said the reason for the disruptions was not known but could range from technological glitches to a hacking attack. Several U.S. officials close to the investigations of the attack on Sony Pictures said the U.S. government was not involved in any cyber action against Pyongyang. [...]
»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20141222

Cyberwar ? Not yet

Also:
People Who Haven’t Seen The Interview Think It’s Totally Awesome
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Click for full size
NK back online ...... ZOMBIE ¿ ¿

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to humanfilth

Premium Member

to humanfilth
Like Comcast & AT&T,Verizon!

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
(Reuters)
North Korea's Internet links restored amid U.S. hacking dispute, accusations, fingerpointing - ongoing.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

3 recommendations

Link Logger to Blackbird

MVM

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

"official" US gumint' leaders should have simply kept their mouths shut

You are correct. Here is the script on how this should have played out. First when these no talent hacks came up with this movie someone at Sony should have mentioned that its bad form to assassinate a sitting world leader no matter how whacked they are. Second when Sony was hacked the matter is 'taken' up by the FBI who simply respond that the matter is currently under investigation and that all claims are currently unsubstantiated but possibly under consideration. Behind the scenes FBI/CIA/everybody else on the planet laughs their asses off about how badly Sony got owned and Sony becomes the new poster child for don't let your company be this stupid and perhaps if there is a real possibility that some foreign government agency is involved the CIA goes about doing what they do in the shadows out of view of the public. At some point if the CIA catches someone then they are arrested, not as a government sponsored spy, but as joe hacker criminal (the point is still made to some foreign agency) or is no specific individuals are arrested a little behind the scene tit for tat game is played out so the North Koreans (if they are in fact involved) get a little reminder that they aren't so hot at the game.

The way this has played out couldn't have worked out any better for Sony in that a hack movie has scored priceless marketing and any potentially unfavorable information in the released data is at best on page 37 of the entertainment section. In short Sony has played the CIA and the US Government like a cheap banjo and a bunch of supposedly bright guys got sucked into playing a no win game.

Blake

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
SONY caves - puts The Interview On Demand - YouTube

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook

said by siljaline:

SONY caves - puts The Interview On Demand - YouTube

Sales of medical marijuana have suddenly skyrocketed...

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

SONY caves

LOL, I wonder how many more minutes it will take before the stream is captured and put up as a "DVD Screener" on P2P search sights the World over...

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

The P2P scene gangs made short haste of that. The film is fully out there.