Search similar:

uniqs

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

Differences between PREVIEW and Mini

The PREVIEW has coax, ethernet, and USB ports. AFAIK
1) The coax carries MOCA network, RCN VOD, and linear TV. Most people only use this connection
2) The ethernet port is a backup shold MOCA fail. If you want to restrict viewing (in child's room) you can connect PREVIEW to TIVO QUAD by ethernet, and the child can only watch shows recorded on the DVR
3) The USB port seems to have no function as far as I can tell
---
Does the TiVo mini work the same way? For example can you watch either or both linear TV and RCN VOD with an ethernet connection only?

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member
join:2012-01-04

astoundcares

Premium Member

This is the answer I was given when I posed your question to the technical team:

No, the mini needs Moca to call the tuner for Live TV . VOD won’t work with Ethernet connection either. Vod requires a tuner in use, and you are not using a tuner via Ethernet streaming.

I hope that helps.

Emilie

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by astoundcares:

I hope that helps. Emilie

Thank you Emilie. Hypothetically you could negotiate a list of programs with your child that would be recorded, hook the child's mini with ethernet only, and the child would not have access to VOD or live TV. Unfortunately many children might figure out how to run a COAX cable while you are asleep.

Other than that, I can't see any use for the ethernet port.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA

rcnman to Pacomartin

Premium Member

to Pacomartin
I'm just going to nip this, and state, there is no difference between the MINI being hooked up with RF(MOCA) or Ethernet. It's the same.. All features / functionality are exactly alike..

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by rcnman:

It's the same.. All features / functionality are exactly alike..

Thank you Jason. Good to know you only need to update your home wiring with ethernet!