uniqs

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

How do I even begin troubleshooting this?

I have some magewell USB capture dongles I use for capturing HDMI video from a microscope & a camcorder. Recently I noticed the microscope camera getting choppier and choppier, adn goign in and out all the time.

I tried using the same dongle & same HDMI cable on the camcorder, and it works perfectly fine. So you would assume the microscope camera is bad, right?

I plug the microscope camera into a TV using the same HDMI cable, at the same 1080p/60hz and it works fine. I even smacked it around a little bit for good measure.

If the HDMI microscope camera works with other monitors, and the capture device works with other HDMI sources, I am probably not getting help from either of them. They will just point the finger at the other. I was thinking of getting a PCI express dual channel HDMI capture card that supports V4L so I can try that out but I am looking for any alternative way to troubleshoot my issue without spending $600.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

Is the camcorder and microscope output the same? ie: same video resolution and bitrate.

As you are dealing with USB, it could be a throughput issue. ALL devices connected to a PC by USB share a limited amount of bandwidth and processing power.