Search similar:

uniqs
ksmith9506
join:2006-07-07
Orlando, FL

ksmith9506

[Internet] Be careful when changing internet tiers

Just a friendly word of caution:
So I was experimenting with the various speed tiers that Brighthouse offers to see which one best suits my needs (wound up with lightning 35) and both of the two times I chatted with a csr to make a change they attempted to add in-home wifi without my consent. I had to specifically ask them for the adjusted rate and call them out on the discrepancy, already knowing what the correct rate should be. I own my own modem which I would assume would be clearly noted on my account, so I do not understand why they would even attempt to add these extra services.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ksmith9506:

So I was experimenting with the various speed tiers that Brighthouse offers to see which one best suits my needs (wound up with lightning 35) and both of the two times I chatted with a csr to make a change they attempted to add in-home wifi without my consent. I had to specifically ask them for the adjusted rate and call them out on the discrepancy, already knowing what the correct rate should be. I own my own modem which I would assume would be clearly noted on my account, so I do not understand why they would even attempt to add these extra services.

Please email the chat transcripts to BHNtechXpert@myrbrighthouse.com. If you did not keep them the email address you used will be fine. Thanks!

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to ksmith9506

Premium Member

to ksmith9506
said by ksmith9506:

Same thing happened to me when I experimented with the Internet tiers several months ago. I had to call to get the Home Networking charge removed that was just tacked on. I do use a BHN modem but it is bridged and use my own router but they did it anyway.
DougHo
join:2012-05-21
Orlando, FL

DougHo to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
Also if you own your modem, always double-check that they did not mistakenly start charging modem fee (that happened to me when I upgraded last month, corrected yesterday).

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
I will check my bill next month. Went from bridged to unbridged with wifi to bridged again however the wifi light is still on the modem. No SSID broadcast but worth checking.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

1 edit

paradigmfl to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
This also somewhat happened to me when switching to Lightning 60 and back. The rep put a ~ $5 charge on there for WIFI and then later when I switched back the rep told me about it otherwise I would not have known. I lease their modem but have my own router so there is no reason I would ever need their WIFI. At that time I also had the same modem for about two years so there was no excuse to charge me more as there was no new equipment. The SB6141 I have also does not have gateway functionality so a charge for it is ridiculous.

This is another reason why I believe people who want to use their own routers should get a standalone modem only. If they end up charging you for WiFi and you have a modem only it is an open and shut case against BHN. Otherwise when you seek a credit for six months of WiFi you never new you had you might get to hear about how it is "our policy" not to give you a full refund, etc. Plus it is so much more simpler than having to mess around with bridge mode all the time. The less complex your setup means the fewer things there are to go wrong.
DougHo
join:2012-05-21
Orlando, FL

DougHo

Thanks for mentioning that (WiFi charge and bridge mode of non-modem). Yesterday the leased SB6141 at my church died during thunderstorm and Brighthouse replacement was the SBG6580. They said that it would auto-detect that we didn't desire WiFi, but when I tried to logon to 192.168.100.1 to check that and bridge mode, it requests username and password which they did not give me. I am hoping that if new setup is doing double-NAT, it does not affect our streaming live worship Sunday morning (Google Hangouts On Air) - otherwise any double-NAT doesn't seem to be affecting us (email/browsing/etc).
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

I will check my bill next month. Went from bridged to unbridged with wifi to bridged again however the wifi light is still on the modem. No SSID broadcast but worth checking.

Your tier includes wifi at no charge.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to paradigmfl

Premium Member

to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

At that time I also had the same modem for about two years so there was no excuse to charge me more as there was no new equipment. The SB6141 I have also does not have gateway functionality so a charge for it is ridiculous.

LOL this made coffee come out of my nose.... this would be funny except that you cannot add wireless codes to non-wireless modems (yes we actually have different device designators for wired and wireless devices and they don't mix). So try again Paradigmfl....
said by paradigmfl:

This is another reason why I believe people who want to use their own routers should get a standalone modem only. If they end up charging you for WiFi and you have a modem only it is an open and shut case against BHN. Otherwise when you seek a credit for six months of WiFi you never new you had you might get to hear about how it is "our policy" not to give you a full refund, etc.

This is absolute rubbish. IF in the remotest of circumstances a true error was made (which cannot be made under the circmstances you claim but whatever...) you would be refunded in full without question.

Your creative license with the truth just amazes me sometimes Paradigmfl.

paradigmfl

paradigmfl

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by paradigmfl:

At that time I also had the same modem for about two years so there was no excuse to charge me more as there was no new equipment. The SB6141 I have also does not have gateway functionality so a charge for it is ridiculous.

LOL this made coffee come out of my nose.... this would be funny except that you cannot add wireless codes to non-wireless modems (yes we actually have different device designators for wired and wireless devices and they don't mix). So try again Paradigmfl....
said by paradigmfl:

This is another reason why I believe people who want to use their own routers should get a standalone modem only. If they end up charging you for WiFi and you have a modem only it is an open and shut case against BHN. Otherwise when you seek a credit for six months of WiFi you never new you had you might get to hear about how it is "our policy" not to give you a full refund, etc.

This is absolute rubbish. IF in the remotest of circumstances a true error was made (which cannot be made under the circmstances you claim but whatever...) you would be refunded in full without question.

Your creative license with the truth just amazes me sometimes Paradigmfl.

That is what I was told by the rep who downgraded me back to standard roadrunner at the time. At first she was telling me my bill and I questioned it being higher. She then informed me that the home networking charge was on my account and she took it off. It doesn't seem like I am the only one who has had this happen.

Perhaps it is possible the original rep also added an additional modem on the account or else your system has/had some bugs? I don't know as it isn't my system or employee. Again though that others report the problem indicates it isn't just me.
paradigmfl

paradigmfl to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
To defend myself after being accused of lying by the Bright House forum representative here is a link to a post in June 2014 where I mentioned the experience here.

»Re: Just Upgraded to Lightning 30 - Doesn't like Linksys E1000?

I believe I did not see the BHN staff member's response at the time as I at that time used a certain forum option to make that member's post not visible then.

In retrospect I do think I recall the downgrading rep asking me about having another modem where I insisted I only had the one but I cannot recall exactly as I believe it happened very early in the year. It seems likely to me the first sales rep who upgraded me probably added this on my account as they did not know what they were doing and then the downgrading rep took it off.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

Perhaps it is possible the original rep also added an additional modem on the account or else your system has/had some bugs? I don't know as it isn't my system or employee. Again though that others report the problem indicates it isn't just me.

And it morphs again ....I must give you credit, your elasticity when called out on the facts is impressive, unfortunately the facts as you present them are a bit off on both fronts. I'm saving the best part for last so go ahead Paradigmfl dig deeper and I'll just wrap it up nicely at the end...cheers...

paradigmfl

paradigmfl

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by paradigmfl:

And it morphs again ....I must give you credit, your elasticity when called out on the facts is impressive, unfortunately the facts as you present them are a bit off on both fronts. I'm saving the best part for last so go ahead Paradigmfl dig deeper and I'll just wrap it up nicely at the end...cheers...

I have no idea what you are going on about. I can only report what the BHN rep told me and they DEFINITELY told me at that time when they downgraded me that Home Networking was placed on my account and that was why the monthly amount was higher than I thought it should be when they quoted it to me as they confirmed it.

I am 100% sure of this much. What they placed on the account, whether a rep lied about it, etc. I don't know. I have no access to the system to verify it.

Lastly I have seen this complaint elsewhere. I believe on another review/complaint site or possibly in the BBB consumer complaint section for Bright House which is available online. It's not just me.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by paradigmfl:

I have no idea what you are going on about. I can only report what the BHN rep told me and they DEFINITELY told me at that time when they downgraded me that Home Networking was placed on my account and that was why the monthly amount was higher than I thought it should be when they quoted it to me as they confirmed it.

LOL you're right you don't which was part of my point to begin with. I'm gonna let you think about this a bit Paradigmfl and I will fill you in a bit later if you really want me to
said by paradigmfl:

I am 100% sure of this much. What they placed on the account, whether a rep lied about it, etc. I don't know.

But you sure were absolutely positive on your first post and many others just like it wern't you Paradigmfl. And here we go with the rep lied thing again....so predictable you are...sigh
said by paradigmfl:

Lastly I have seen this complaint elsewhere. I believe on another review/complaint site or possibly in the BBB consumer complaint section for Bright House which is available online. It's not just me.

You have no information on the basis or facts surrounding said complaints now do you Paradigmfl. So it really is pointless to bring them up since you have less information about those than you do even this situation. It doesn't do anything to support your case...stick to yours shall we. Before you continue however fair warning. I do have the facts I just want to see how far you you really want to go down this path

paradigmfl

paradigmfl to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
Wow. This is really starting to get pretty weird. Yes it is a fact that the rep told me I was being charged for home networking back from when I upgraded to Lightning 60 and I was not made aware of any such charge or change previously. Yes I only had a (leased) SB6141 modem in my possession so I should obviously not have been billed for home networking. Those are the facts. Beyond that I have no idea what occurred.

I'm not sure what you are going on about and it's getting a little creepy honestly. All I'm saying is I am not the only one this has happened to. There are people in this topic and elsewhere who have had similar things occur. It's not some extraordinary claim and I certainly didn't spend the last six months conspiring to suddenly bring it up just to "get you". I'm only sharing my experiences with others here as it is what the user forum is intended for.
Wally173
join:2013-05-08
Lithia, FL

2 recommendations

Wally173

Gentlemen its about to be Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday. Have a couple beers and relax instead of going back and forth about this...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

Wow. This is really starting to get pretty weird. Yes it is a fact that the rep told me I was being charged for home networking back from when I upgraded to Lightning 60 and I was not made aware of any such charge or change previously. Yes I only had a (leased) SB6141 modem in my possession so I should obviously not have been billed for home networking. Those are the facts. Beyond that I have no idea what occurred.

I'm not sure what you are going on about and it's getting a little creepy honestly.

No Paradigmfl what is creepy is your obsession with finding conspiracy or some type of nefarious act in pretty much anything you can here and the lengths you will go to validate your claims until you get pushback at which point then either the argument morphs or you do what you are doing now. It's old, it's tired and it's just plain wrong.
said by paradigmfl:

All I'm saying is I am not the only one this has happened to.

You are not in a position to say one way or the other whether this has happened to anyone else because you don't know the circumstances behind which any of the alleged claims to which you reference.

For all you know it could easily have been a misunderstanding betweem the claimant and the representative from the standpoint of services included or offered and price. Or simply that the person wasn't paying attention during the call. But to imply something nefarious took place as you have clearly done and then try to sidestep it when you get called on it frankly is just wrong and I'm not going to just give you a pass on it Paradigmfl. You start too many of these situations here on a regular basis.

My suggestion is you stick to your encounter alone but better yet do a little bit of soul searching and perhaps memory checking before you make such claims because unlike you right now I do have the facts as it pertains to this topic and I'm sorry it just doesn't play out as described.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Wally173

Premium Member

to Wally173
said by Wally173:

Gentlemen its about to be Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday. Have a couple beers and relax instead of going back and forth about this...

LOL Wally would love to do that but some people just insist on making it difficult sometimes....

paradigmfl

paradigmfl to Wally173

to Wally173
said by Wally173:

Thanks. You're right. I think I've said what I needed to say here in the topic anyway. Happy Turkey day to all!

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to ksmith9506

Premium Member

to ksmith9506

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
Downgraded my tier again because the 175mb/s was fun for a few days but the thrill wore off. I used to have a Motorola for internet and an Arris for phone but for some reason the installer took those away and gave me some sort of new Arris. It does 5g and stuff though so I let him install it. Think he said it would be 3.00 more a month and it is better then the router I had so we shall see.

telijah
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

Well, what router did you have before?

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Dlink DIR655

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

Downgraded my tier again because the 175mb/s was fun for a few days but the thrill wore off. I used to have a Motorola for internet and an Arris for phone but for some reason the installer took those away and gave me some sort of new Arris. It does 5g and stuff though so I let him install it. Think he said it would be 3.00 more a month and it is better then the router I had so we shall see.

That sounds like the new Echo modem.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

Once you downgrade from Lightning 150/90 then wireless is no longer included. So as Trav and Giga said your option is to bridge (preferrably not with that modem I can get you a new one) or subscribe to wireless. That modem has a quite powerful router...I love the hardware and the range is well....very good.

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Yah im fine with paying as long as it is 3.00 like the tech said and not 15.00 or something. The 5g is great since I get 32mb/s on wireless vs 7-12mb/s with other router and the range seems good.

telijah
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

telijah to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Lightning 150/90

I about pooped myself in excite when I saw this, thinking it was 150down/90up, then I realized what you were saying

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

said by kdwycha:

Yah im fine with paying as long as it is 3.00 like the tech said and not 15.00 or something. The 5g is great since I get 32mb/s on wireless vs 7-12mb/s with other router and the range seems good.

Nov 20, 2014 $2.20 Echo Home Networking Charge

Looks like the bill updated with a partial month charge. Guess it won't be too expensive.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to ksmith9506

to ksmith9506
They also did this to me when I ordered new service. Told the girl on the phone I specifically didn't want Wifi, but when the guy arrived with my new modem, it was wifi, and Echo was on my account. Luckily I had planned to swap out to my personally owned modem later after everything was installed and stable but should definitely look out.

But as always with BHN, the company NEVER screws up and the customer is never right, just "confused". Keep a sharp eye out!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

said by kdwycha:

Nov 20, 2014 $2.20 Echo Home Networking Charge

Looks like the bill updated with a partial month charge. Guess it won't be too expensive.

It really isn't when you take into consideration the costs of support just for wifi issues alone, clients that won't connect...whatever...and there are no limits including sending techs to help you get it all working at any time.