ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Crazy B.C. liquor laws

»www.theprovince.com/news ··· ory.html

There used to be another regulation that said the number of seats allowed in a bar at a ski resort was directly proportional to the resort’s vertical feet of skiable terrain.

In other words, the steeper the mountain, the more drunks that would be allowed to ski down it.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

You need liquid courage... to ski off the side of a mountain.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Forget the booze, ski High in the Canadian Rockies!
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Back in the day to get liquor in Ontario I had to go to a dark dungy store with covered windows, no alcohol on display and no shelves, fill out a paper requisition and a bottle would be brought out to me, then I would need to leave with it in a paper bag or I would be fined if the bottle showed at any time outside the bag and it would have to go straight to my home or another fine.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

Ya Buying liquor here it was almost like going through customs at the airport.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
You are an old man, I remember those days, going to the liquor store with my Dad. I seem to recall it was simialr for beer too.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Age is relative, I also marched for peace and love in the 60s but I don't think I'm "old". Beer I don't remember because it all tastes like horse piss to me and wine is for snobs so I didn't buy any back in the day. It was straight up whiskey, no fruity mix like you woosy young'uns now a days, well that and barrel wash.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Back in the day to get liquor in Ontario I had to go to a dark dungy store with covered windows, no alcohol on display and no shelves, fill out a paper requisition and a bottle would be brought out to me, then I would need to leave with it in a paper bag....

Geez, that's almost like US prohibition, except that in the US case the illegal establishments (sometimes called speakeasy or blind pig) were usually pretty fancy inside.
Bob Anderson
join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON

Bob Anderson to peterboro

to peterboro
Yep, when I moved to Ottawa in '72 it was like that. I think it was the late '70s when the LCBO went the current retail model.

Also, you could not buy gas on a Sunday.

-Bob

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
Barrel wash was good, got me hooked on Bourbon.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Ontario is very socially conservative when it comes to their liquor, hell, only in the last few years, has the LCBO stayed open late and was open on Sundays.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
The barrel remnants before the wash were even better.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Our government (here in BC) seems to be making progress but they still bungle things up. The most recent is they are going to allow beer/win sales in grocery stores. The downside is the grocery store needs to segregate the alcohol section and run a seperate register for it. It's basically like having a store inside of a store. The thing is when the government relaxed rules on private liquor stores about a decade ago, we ended up having a liquor store within 100 metres of nearly every grocery store. Thus you don't really need a store within the store when there's a store 50 metres away.

The government is not increasing licenses, so grocery stores would need to buy out a license from an existing private liquor store. Unless your buying beer/wine (ie if you want a bottle of spirits), this is going to become a whole lot more inconvenient if grocery stores buy up all the licenses.... lol.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Back in the day to get liquor in Ontario I had to go to a dark dungy store with covered windows, no alcohol on display and no shelves, fill out a paper requisition and a bottle would be brought out to me, then I would need to leave with it in a paper bag or I would be fined if the bottle showed at any time outside the bag and it would have to go straight to my home or another fine.

They also had a "passport" at one point too. If you had too many stamps they would not sell to you.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I'm too young for this but you had to have licence to buy the alcohol in Ontario if that is what you mean by passport.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Donoero really is a old geezer, when his girls are in highschool, and he goes to a "parent event" the other kids will ask if that's their grandfather

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Ontario is very socially conservative when it comes to their liquor, hell, only in the last few years, has the LCBO stayed open late and was open on Sundays.

that's because the province is broke...they need to exploit all the revenue tools they have now...remember our previous debates about booze being sold in stores, and how some people said that increased access will lead to increased consumption/addiction/blah blah blah...their argument was that the limited availability of the product would help keep its use down...so what has happened lately??...LCBO outlets are now opening up in grocery stores and a few brand new fancy locations have been popping up, including nice coloured brochures delivered to our house inviting us out (free gift with purchase)...as i said before, it was never about being "responsible"...it's all about the $$$$.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

You are falling for the same concept that people who advocate Sunday shopping do.

Just because a store is open later/more often, doesn't mean I'm going to buy more booze. All you are doing is increasing the cost of doing business. That's why I think Sunday shopping is a joke.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i'm not sure what you mean...perhaps you don't realize that i agree with you??...i'm not the one (nor were you) saying that we need to keep booze sold in the confines of the liquor store to "protect the children".