Search similar:

uniqs

civic110
@47.17.0.x

civic110

Anon

Price Increases, 2015

Just received my December bill with a PDF insert online:

Effective with January billing statements, the following price changes will occur,

Sports Surcharge: from $4.98 to $5.98
Cable Box: $6.71 to $7.56

Ilsno
@24.185.54.x

Ilsno

Anon

Corporate greed in action.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ

actor90 to civic110

Premium Member

to civic110
I'm getting very close to ditching one box and lowering my package, because Cablevision's prices are insanely high.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to civic110

MVM

to civic110
You're talking about a whopping $22.20 a year. That's not even a tank of gas even at today's low prices.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by mbernste:

You're talking about a whopping $22.20 a year. That's not even a tank of gas even at today's low prices.

That's if someone has one box, if someone has four then it's $52.80

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Awesome just what we wanted! I tell you that sports fee is getting out of control! How long do we have to wait for them to take these stupid sports channels out of the preferred package.

anonn
@69.114.253.x

anonn to civic110

Anon

to civic110
So in the past year I've seen the DVR service go up by $1, the sports programming surcharge go up from $2.98 to $4.98 and now to $5.98, a $3 increase, Taxes and Fees gone up by another $3 and now the cable boxes by another $1 each so I'm paying about $10 more per month now than I was a year ago without any added services, just the cable company nickle and diming us with these small fee increases every few months. But the fact we've seen all these increases in such a short amount of time is not a good sign.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90

Premium Member

said by anonn :

But the fact we've seen all these increases in such a short amount of time is not a good sign.

It leads me to believe the Dolan's are increasing revenue and proping up the stock price because they are shopping Cablevision to possible buyers. Which means this won't be the last increase for 2015. Watch your bills and your wallets for more to come.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to anonn

Anon

to anonn
Don't forget the modem rental fee.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to actor90

to actor90
said by actor90:

said by anonn :

But the fact we've seen all these increases in such a short amount of time is not a good sign.

It leads me to believe the Dolan's are increasing revenue and proping up the stock price because they are shopping Cablevision to possible buyers. Which means this won't be the last increase for 2015. Watch your bills and your wallets for more to come.

I doubt it. Not right now. who will buy them? Wont be Comcast or Timewarner since they are worried about the current merger. The other smaller companies don't have the cash. The only people left are Verizon and they didn't want to spend the money to finish the fios rollout so why buy cablevision ?

Its not because they are trying to sell.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to actor90

to actor90
said by actor90:

It leads me to believe the Dolan's are increasing revenue and proping up the stock price because they are shopping Cablevision to possible buyers.

I understand that is a popular position these days. Blindly beat up the management. I get it. Nobody likes an increase.

Just to be devil's advocate...is it possible that some of the increase is actually due to the rising cost of programming? These ongoing carriage disputes throughout the cable/satellite industry actually result in higher costs paid to programmers. You don't think that this will be passed through?

I do, however, scratch my head a little about the hardware increase. But it's not a deal breaker I guess.

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
Jackson, NJ

actor90 to civic110

Premium Member

to civic110
Mark my words, they will sell within a year to eighteen months. My guess to an equity firm, not an incumbent cable operator. That firm then will keep raking in the profits or unload it down the road to who ever is left as a provider with capital.
actor90

actor90 to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

I do, however, scratch my head a little about the hardware increase.

Pumping up capital and stock value for a sale is the only logical explanation for charging more money for equipment they have paid for ten times over already, Cablevision uses the oldest most dilapidated boxes out there. It's not like they are updating to the latest and greatest boxes like Comcast and Time Warner. Cablevision's boxes were old 7 years ago. Now they are ancient except for the extremely cheap Samsung boxes that they stopped buying.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to actor90

to actor90
said by actor90:

Mark my words, they will sell within a year to eighteen months. My guess to an equity firm, not an incumbent cable operator. That firm then will keep raking in the profits or unload it down the road to who ever is left as a provider with capital.

It may happen, sure, but people said this 12-18 months ago, and 12-18 months before that, and 12-18 months before that. Remember Rutledge & another exec leaving within 2 weeks 3 years ago? The spin-off of MSG & AMC. Then again some said buying Newsday was "to lower profit margins and buy up more shares of the company". Can we all agree to stop the same speculation on things that everyone is always so wrong about?

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90

Premium Member

said by frdrizzt:

Can we all agree to stop the same speculation on things that everyone is always so wrong about?

They are raising rates, cutting retention deals, and are generally not competing in the market like they use to. They were always a pricey company, but competitive, not anymore. Why? To force up the stock price, and you only do that when you're unloading, not buying it up like they have in the past.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
Yeah. The only thing I can see is the dolans trying to make cablevision private again.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to actor90

to actor90
Repeating the same thing doesn't make it so. Rumors of selling have been around for years. Dolans will never sell.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

1 recommendation

Boooost to actor90

Anon

to actor90
Maybe Dolan wants to buy a new yacht.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to actor90

MVM

to actor90
Or, it could just be that since there is really NO effective competition in many of CV's coverage areas, (and even less so now that ATT has sold off U-Verse to Frontier ), they are raising rates just because they CAN...

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to Boooost

Premium Member

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

Sorry - must have missed that on my bill.. Where can I find it?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 recommendation

MxxCon to mbernste

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

Since it's nothing to you, where can we meet so that you can give me $22.20?

hardlywin
@67.247.2.x

1 recommendation

hardlywin

Anon

MxxCon if u can't come up with $22.20 perhaps u should spend your time online looking for a better job than complaining. complaining will not change the rate increase.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

2 edits

momcat1 to civic110

to civic110
We didn't get one of those. There was no second pdf when I downloaded our bill this week. Wait a minute. The new billing cycle ends in December. So that means we'll probably see that wonderful news, in time for Christmas, when it's time for our bill that bridges into January? Happy Holidays my foot. Time to downgrade again. That would be more like $50 a year for us. 3 boxes, plus the unnecessary Sport Surcharge, not so we can get sports channels - so we can get decent channels, plus assorted taxes. The lower packages have so little they're not worth having.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to civic110

Premium Member

to civic110
I placed an order for Fios. About the same price for the same stuff and a $400 visa card.
Rasstar
Premium Member
join:2005-01-10
Rosedale, NY

Rasstar to civic110

Premium Member

to civic110
One of the reasons is the big NBA deal with TNT. Those cost just pass to the consumers. One of the reasons why I just use a cable card which gives me free DVR functions and I can view TV on many devices. I also just pay for basic service and I use ballstream to view NBA games. Donated 99 for a year of HD basketball games. With all the streaming content available t is a wonder why anyone pays high cable bills.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

But that's on top of yearly increases, and in addition to CV/Optimum already being the most expensive cable TV company in the country.

And $22.20 x 2.8 million customers (as an example) = 62.16 million dollars a year, and over 10 years that's $622,000,000, in other words over HALF A BILLION DOLLARS from one little rate increase.

And of course they will keep raising it.

Thus, it adds up for the individual customer, and it damn well adds up in the aggregate for the company.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

Its not because they are trying to sell.

I agree with your reasoning, but the Dolans have made some very poor decisions in the past.

They may be deluding themselves, in other words.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to Tursiops_G

to Tursiops_G
said by Tursiops_G:

Or, it could just be that since there is really NO effective competition in many of CV's coverage areas, (and even less so now that ATT has sold off U-Verse to Frontier ), they are raising rates just because they CAN...

On Long Island, other than the few areas where FiOS is available (I happen to be in one of them), Cablevision is it. There are no options other than satellite or OTA, which is mostly impossible on the east end due to the distance from NYC (in fact, CT stations are generally the option out there).

I have Internet only service and I was expecting CV to add yet another $5 to the bill but maybe that will be a mid-year increase. Sadly there was a time when OOL was the premier service in the nation with 10/1 speeds while everyone else was dealing with kilobits. Now they do not really stand out and at $59.95 for 18/5 service, it is almost a joke.

Ilsno
@24.185.54.x

Ilsno

Anon

I'd love to see them sell to Brighthouse, but I think a more likely group would be Charter. There's been a max exodus of executives moving to Charter and they are familiar with the footprint and customer base in the metropolitan area. Brighthouse in my opinion has the best selection of services and prices as well as very good customer service. It's stuck out to me when I travel as being the most user friendly cable system in the country. Best guide/rapid channel changing etc. By far the worst experience has been with Comcast in my opinion. God help us if we wind up with them.

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to RickNY

Anon

to RickNY
said by RickNY:

said by Boooost :

Sorry - must have missed that on my bill.. Where can I find it?

»Q3 Earnings Call - Internet Basics + modem fee + Health Checks