spc
Search similar:

uniqs
landrick
join:2008-02-03
Los Angeles, CA

landrick

Any benefit to upgrading RG & DVR?

First off: Please don't beat me up (too much) if this is already in the forum...I looked around and didn't see a related post.

Anyway: I've had U-verse since mid-2009, and still have the original RG & DVR/STB boxes (3800HGV-B and VIP-1225/VIP-1200, respectively). Having extra time on my hands lately, I wondered if there would be any benefit to trying to update any or all of them.

I'm a triple-play subscriber (U-300 and Max Plus) and the 2nd STB is currently on a promo at no charge. Can't say that I have any service issues; video is normal quality and the data speed tests out as advertised. I've stopped using wireless off the RG since all my gear is now 5GHz wireless-N (and in my condo building there are at least 20 competing 2.4GHz networks); I use an Airport Express behind the RG to serve those devices. The only mild gripe about the RG is that it seems to not let me re-name some devices in my Home Network listing.

So...is there anything about newer equipment that would make life more thrilling? I assume new DVRs probably have larger drives. Anything fun to play with in a newer RG? And then the big question: Is AT&T likely to provide new gear without charge? (I just started a new 1-year contract to get them to lower the monthly bill.)

Any musings welcome! (Except harsh criticism. I hate harsh criticism.)

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

The newer gateway(NVG589) have gigabit Ethernet, better wireless, handles lines a lot better, allows for pair bonding, faster processor, battery that isn't external, better HPNA etc etc.

You can edit the names of devices if you know a little trick

On the home page of your gateway, click on the device's "Details" button for the device you want to edit the name of. In the URL, you should see NODEID=4 or some other number. Take note of that number.

Now take this URL and put in the number you found before in place of the NODEID of this link:
»192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE= ··· NODEID=1

If that link doesn't work(not sure if the 3801HGV and 3800HGV links are the same), just click on the "Edit Name" button for some random device and replace the NODEID. I should also note that sometimes the names will revert after long periods of time if you reboot those devices a lot.

Maybe, they'll only replace it for free if you get a shipment. If you have someone come over, you're likely to be charged a fee if the gateway isn't at fault for issues.

Also, if you get sent one, you're not guaranteed the NVG589 and will possibly receive the older 3801HGV(newer than yours).

For the NVG589, if you're on an install where you don't have anything in your green/red ports on the back of the gateway and only have a coax cable, you will need new wiring.
ShareTheToys
join:2014-11-25

ShareTheToys to landrick

to landrick
Yeah, you would be billed for that service call. I understand what you're saying about being a subscriber for a while, but there are no issues with your service. Keep in mind that AT&T is a for profit organization, not that you implied that you thought otherwise. I would try to have them mail out new equipment for an upgrade, or prepare for the technician that comes out to charge $99, or $149 for a service call. Honestly for an RG and two set top boxes to be swapped in my area you wouldn't be charged. If you decide to call in for a tech to come out, just know that it is normally a charge.

Att Informer
@168.235.195.x

Att Informer to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
I think you should continue with the RG, you don't even use wireless on it. So paying for the RG swap is useless. And about the NVG589, the worst RG out there with highest number of outages and firmware glitches. If there is a need for RG swap them I would suggest you to go for 3801 but stay away from 589. People by looking at the specification sheet may say I am wrong but I know what I am talking about.

For the DVR, you are using a standard capacity DVR. You can upgrade to VIP 2250 which has got a 500gb capacity. There are others as well like 7500 or 8005. If you want 1 TB of storage then you can go with 8010.

I don't know what can be done for the 1200, may upgrade to wireless 7005 STB.

Sorry i cannot help you bout the charges because my department handle just the technical aspects of the service.

Source: I am a Tier 2 agent (UFO support)

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

Your in a Motorola market, the 2250 is the DVR upgrade from 350 hard drive (1225) to 500 hard drive (2250) at the cost of losing all recordings.
The biggest advantage of 2250 is faster response time from remote commands.... has black crush issue if using HDMI cable.

The wireless receiver has a one time charge of $49 plus currently $8 per month receiver fee. Advantage mobile, can move equipment around without concern of hard wired connection and faster remote response.

No difference in software user functions so after equipment upgrade you have no new things to learn or play with. The receivers receive periodically upgrades requiring little of your part except maybe rebooting RG or receiver(s).

Att informer
@183.87.138.x

Att informer

Anon

Since you are on U300, you are eligible for 1st free wireless box. So we can skip the $8 a month charges.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

"Skip the $8 a month charges"

Incorrect, the u300/u450 packages allows one wireless receiver not to be charged the one time fee of $49.
All receivers over DVR currently have the $8 per month charge (except for grandfathered accounts).
bengalvfan
join:2001-01-21
Bellbrook, OH

bengalvfan to landrick

to landrick
If you want the new devices (RG, DVR, and wireless boxes) free and not having to pay for a service call here is what you do.

Call and say that with your current boxes you are getting audio dropouts using your home theater setup or when turning on surround sound in the settings in your DVR. It is a known problem with those type of STB's. Search for Uverse audio dropouts and you find others with a same problem.

Now I actually had the said audio dropouts and was able to get my equipment upgraded for free.

A way to reproduce those said dropouts would be to go to your dvr menu in the audio section and enable the surround sound and after doing so you will most likely notice audio dropouts even if you do not have a home theatre system. Most tvs are setup to work with the surround setting enabled as well.

Good luck it worked for me.

Dan
ab1109230
join:2014-04-25
Atlanta, GA

ab1109230

said by bengalvfan:

If you want the new devices (RG, DVR, and wireless boxes) free and not having to pay for a service call here is what you do.

Call and say that with your current boxes you are getting audio dropouts using your home theater setup or when turning on surround sound in the settings in your DVR. It is a known problem with those type of STB's. Search for Uverse audio dropouts and you find others with a same problem.

Now I actually had the said audio dropouts and was able to get my equipment upgraded for free.

A way to reproduce those said dropouts would be to go to your dvr menu in the audio section and enable the surround sound and after doing so you will most likely notice audio dropouts even if you do not have a home theatre system. Most tvs are setup to work with the surround setting enabled as well.

Good luck it worked for me.

Dan

Please do not do this. As a technician it absolutely annoys me to no end when I go to a customer's home and they have "read some stuff online" and wanted new equipment. There are other customers out there that are actually out of service and having real problems.

john876433
@99.117.72.x

john876433

Anon

Audio dropouts are real problems with the old equipment he has
landrick
join:2008-02-03
Los Angeles, CA

landrick to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

You can edit the names of devices if you know a little trick

Just wanted to say thanks for that tip! I did have to go with the 2nd method, but it worked perfectly! (I wanted to do this because I was trying to troubleshoot a problem with adding a wireless bridge, and it was confusing to tell which piece of gear was which.) Thanks!
landrick

landrick

said by Att Informer :

For the DVR, you are using a standard capacity DVR. You can upgrade to VIP 2250 which has got a 500gb capacity. There are others as well like 7500 or 8005. If you want 1 TB of storage then you can go with 8010.

Thanks for this info! From what I'm reading from all the posts, it sounds like there's not really much benefit from a new RG, so I won't fight that fight. The higher-capacity DVR sounds appealing, though, so I may go give that a shot. The wireless STB would be a nice toy, but I already have coax going to that location, and as mentioned, there's so much wireless pollution in my building it might be problematic anyway.
said by my thoughts :

Your in a Motorola market, the 2250 is the DVR upgrade from 350 hard drive (1225) to 500 hard drive (2250) at the cost of losing all recordings.
The biggest advantage of 2250 is faster response time from remote commands.... has black crush issue if using HDMI cable.

You got my attention there...is there a consistent problem with the 2250 crushing blacks going through HDMI? Is it objectionable? A little more contrast wouldn't be awful, but (being a TV techie) anything too pronounced would definitely bug me.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

Some have reported possible new software update may help but for past picture comparison please see...
»forums.att.com/t5/Equipm ··· 782#M207

Please note black crush is HDMI, same receiver using component cables (designed for 720p/1080i which broadcaster are using) do not have the problem on the 2250 DVR.