spc
Search similar:

uniqs
climber0
join:2005-11-15
Smiths Falls, ON

climber0

DIR-826L issues

Hi I have a DIR-826L router. I have always used the 5 GHz band instead of the 2.4 GHz but I recently bought a wireless printer and it requires the 2.4 band. So I turned on both but when I do that and power-down each night( I know that I don't have to but I do) and restart again in the morning my mac won't connect...I have to go into the router settings via ethernet and manually connect...via WAN..network status.. It only does this when both bands are on..... I would prefer not to have to go into my router...( makes it much easier for my wife too)...each time I need to print .I am sure it is something I did wrong...but would not know where to start... thanks

Yes I know the obvious would be just to use the 2.4 band....

thanks

Scott

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

What FW version is currently loaded?
What region are you located?

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or Mixed on 5Ghz?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2 Only.

Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use »www.techspot.com/downloa ··· der.html to find out. Use v3. How many?

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.

It's not recommended to power down the router as routers are designed to be online all the time. You can set up some scheduling to disable the WiFi when it's not being used then have it come back on automatically.

Additional help and info here:
Router Troubleshooting Suggestions and Tips
climber0
Smiths Falls, ON

climber0

FW is 1.02...most recent it says
Region..ontario?
Wireless modes ..2.4 mixed(802.11n/g/b 5 ghz( mixed 802.11n/a
both on Auto 20/40Mhz
security mode ...WPA-Personal for both
WPA..auto(WPA.WPA2)
Cipher Type(TKIP/AES
1 cordless phone in house( nothing else that is wireless)

Many neighbours with wireless..all on 2.4
I changed channels and modes..will see if anything helps...will look at scheduling to but prefer to shut things down from a energy use thing:)

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to climber0

to climber0
If you don't have any B mode supporting devices, change to Mixed G and N or single N only if you can do that as a test.

If you have many neighbors on 2.4Ghz, you could be in a WiFi congested area:
Managing Signal Congestion

There is little power draw on these routers and not enough to cause a major bill increase over a long period of time. I recommend leaving the router ON. Schedule the WiFi radios as needed.

There is v1.05 FW available if your testing fails:
»forums.dlink.com/index.p ··· =61138.0

I have this router. Good little router.
climber0
Smiths Falls, ON

climber0

thanks BimmerE38FN for all the help

I set up a schedule and that works fine...I changed many of the things that you mentioned and although I am not sure which change fix my issues but one did...IF I shut the router off( with both bands on) I no longer have to reconnect manually inside the router settings..so thanks!

scott

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to climber0

to climber0
May have been the mode selection change.

Glad its working well now. Cheers.