join:2008-12-15
Friday Harbor, WA

rockisland

Premium Member

[Word] Word 2003 & 2013 => 365

Click for full size
what the heading *should* look like

what it actually looks like in word 365
I have documents on my computer created by a variety of Word programs, but primarily versions 2003 and 2013. The formatting in a number of those documents has been screwed up when those documents are viewed in Microsoft Word 365 which I now have.

I'd like to find a way to get this fixed because it's pretty annoying.

Yes, the font is installed (it's the same computer). The same document opened in WordPad shows the font correctly.

In addition, the file types that should be opened by Word do not show a Word icon on the file when viewing a folder of files.

What can I do to fix this mess?
rockisland

rockisland

Premium Member

Upon further research I've found the font issue is explained by Word no longer supporting Type 1 fonts.

Anybody have any way to fix the icon issue?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Installation of 2003 or 2013 will fix that...
rockisland
Premium Member
join:2008-12-15
Friday Harbor, WA

rockisland

Premium Member

That's your answer? Seriously? Install an older version of Office over a newer one. No thanks -- I'll figure out another way.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Do you still actively edit these old files or just want to keep them around for display and/or printing? If the latter, convert to PDF.
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon to rockisland

to rockisland
You can convert the fonts from Type 1 format to OpenType or TrueType. I have over 10,000 Type 1 fonts, which I'm not about to stop using because Microsoft decides to drop support for them. Also, I often get documents from designers with Type 1 fonts in them that I have to edit. There are software programs available which can convert the fonts to other formats. So far, these have worked well.

You can also try converting your Type 1 fonts at the following website:

»www.freefontconverter.com

There is also a weird workaround for Word 2013 posted by CPT-Jim at the following link:

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 3377a5af

I don't know if this works or not. I haven't tried it.

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

seaman to rockisland

Premium Member

to rockisland
said by rockisland:

...are viewed in Microsoft Word 365.

I have never heard this phrase used before. Although I use Office 365 as well, my understanding is the latest version of Word is 2013. I hope you find a solution to the font issue.