uniqs
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

[Equip] Comcast modem

Comcast has been sending alerts that we need to change out the modem. We still have an Arris. I can't easily find anything about the hardware Comcast wants us to use. Does anyone have the latest modem? Can you give me a model number or any info? I've logged onto our account and done searches, but no info on the hardware? Help appreciated.
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k

[Equip] Re: Comcast modem

Depends on what service you have (like if you have vioce). If you rent, just take back the old one for a swap. If you own, here is a list from comcast themselves:

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Me, I have a Zoom 5341J (and for several years).

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
I own a Motorola SB6121 and it's been solid. The SB6141 comes highly recommended.

»thewirecutter.com/review ··· -sb6141/
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

We live in the 60110 zip code. The office is a few blocks away. The modem handles voice and internet. We have HD preferrd xf bundle. 25Mb speed tier. Currently using an old Belkin Surf router for wireless. I'm just curious which modem they will supply?

tim
Premium Member
join:2005-06-07
Conroe, TX

tim to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
If you obtain a new leased modem from a Comcast office, it'll likely be an all-in-one wireless router/modem/EMTA combo, such as the Arris TG862G, Technicolor TC8305C, or similar. All of the new gateways they provide look exactly the same. They're decent modems so long as you get it placed in bridge mode and use your own router. You might also get an Arris TM722G or TM822G, which is a solid EMTA, with no ridiculous "gateway" functionality.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

2 recommendations

ILpt4U to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
This may fit better in the Comcast Internet forum...

That being said, you probably have a DOCSIS 2 modem, and Comcast is retiring those Devices in favor of DOCSIS 3 equipment.

If you want to continue to rent a modem, drop by a local Comcast/Xfinity Store/Center. If you want to buy one, Amazon.com is a good place to start. The Arris TM822G is a good 8x4 DOCSIS 3 modem
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

The comcast office is just a couple blocks away. I'll go get a new one on monday. Thanks all.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Remember to take your old modem with you to return it (assuming you are renting), and they should trade it out for a DOCSIS 3 modem or gateway
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k to joewho

to joewho

Re: [Equip] Comcast modem

And when you do trade in your modem, keep the paperwork!! There has been *many* reported incidents where Comcast thinks you have the old returned equipment and the new one too. That causes a whole host of issues later on.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

So we have a new tg862g/ct. Is that docsis 3? Is the gateway better than the belkin surf router that we use now? Haven't connected it yet and we can just run the old one back to them, a couple blocks away. Otherwise, can I ask for something more suited to our needs?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

»www.arrisi.com/support/d ··· d1-0.pdf

It is DOCSIS 3. I'd probably recommend trying to use the Gateway's WiFi/Router, see if it works, and if not, set it up in bridge mode and turn off the Modem's own WiFi

Did you buy it new retail or get it from the Comcast/Xfinity Center?
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

We got it from comcast. The office is only a couple blocks away. I don't like that you have to call someone to bridge it and when I reset, I have to call in again.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I don't have one and haven't used it, but I thought I read around the Comcast forum here that with the latest modem firmware, it allows bridge mode to be user configured, no longer requiring contact to Comcast/Xfinity Tech Support (Calling/Chatting).

I'm sure someone else around has more concrete info on that
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

I read that they issued firmware update and rescinded it due to bugs. Thanks for your input IL. I'll get off my lazy butt and take care of it. Just recovering from Thanksgiving. Hope you had a good one.
Tim

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Whats alarming is the number of customers that need to put these garbage gateways in bridge mode to use there own router. COMCAST wake up your gateways are trash...
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by Jim721:

Whats alarming is the number of customers that need to put these garbage gateways in bridge mode to use there own router. COMCAST wake up your gateways are trash...

Maybe we are lucky but so far the TC8305C has worked well for us. If it ever starts acting up we'll probably just buy a router and put the Gateway into bridge mode.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
said by joewho:

So we have a new tg862g/ct. Is that docsis 3? Is the gateway better than the belkin surf router that we use now? Haven't connected it yet and we can just run the old one back to them, a couple blocks away. Otherwise, can I ask for something more suited to our needs?

Take it back for a EMTA Modem. It's way better and just use your Belkin router with it.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

I must admit that the old surfboard isn't the best. Plying the group with provocative statements to find others experience, before I get off my lazy butt and experiment with a 10. ip address.