spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cx222
join:2014-11-26
Calgary, AB

cx222

Wifi drops out when digital box is on

I connected my netgear WNDR4500 router to one of the LAN ports of the Actiontek and set it to Access Point mode in order to extend the wireless range in my house. The problem I'm having is that whenever any of the Optik digital boxes (either the wireless digital box or the PVR) are on, my wifi access on the netgear drops out -- I have to use the wifi on the Actiontek. Wired connections to the netgear continue to operate normally. Any ideas what may be causing the wifi to drop out and how to fix it?

Thanks

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

The netgear isn't playing well with multicast.
If there's no update for the router, you likely can't use it.

que_ball
join:2004-05-11
Edmonton, AB

que_ball to cx222

to cx222
Another vote for Multicast.

The Actiontec should be filtering the traffic so that the netgear box does not see it as long as you have not changed any of the IGMP settings.

If any of the TV boxes are plugged through the Netgear switch ports you should move then back to being plugged in directly to the Actiontec or another switch plugged in separately to the actiontec and not sharing the port going to the netgear in any way.

On your netgear router you might be able to adjust some settings to make it more tolerant of the IGMP multicast traffic. If you have any options to disable firewall logging it's often the log feature that is overwhelmed as it's trying to add the unknown/unhandled packets to it's security log file.

If the netgear port is isolated from the TV boxes then you could also try doing factory reset on the Telus actiontec, it should restore the IGMP settings if you had previously disabled the IGMP proxy.
These are the default settings I see on mine that work (I see no multicast streaming on other ports with this)
IGMP Snooping enabled in Blocking mode
Default version 2
Query interval 40
Query response interval 10
Last member query interval 1
Robustness value 4
maximum multicast groups 16
maximum multicast data sources (for igmpv3) 10
Maximum multicast group members 32
fast leave enabled
LAN to LAN multicast enabled
cx222
join:2014-11-26
Calgary, AB

cx222

Fixed! I actually had the netgear attached to the Actiontec via a switch and the wireless box was also connected to the same switch. I connected the wireless box directly to the Actiontec and all is working fine now

Thanks for the help!