spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hexoplex
join:2011-05-26
Houston, TX

Hexoplex

Video Card Question

I have an ASUS M11BB that I think could use a new(er) video card. One of my games now has a flickering black bar across the bottom 1 - 3 inches of my screen. I've tried all the fixes, checked drivers, Windows updates, removed and replaced the card its self.

According to the ASUS website, the computer supports the following cards:

Intel® HD Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce GT620 1GB/2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT630 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce G505 1GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT640 3GB
AMD® Radeon HD7470 1GB
AMD® Radeon HD7660D 2GB
AMD® Radeon HD8350 1GB

All of these are currently out of my price range. My question is would this card fit?

EVGA GeForce GTX 610 2GB

SKU: 507483 (on the Microcenter website)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Is your computer build a pre-built computer or something you built yourself? What are the complete specs?

The above cards are likely out of your price-range because they are old and/or discontinued. Let us know what the complete specs are and what your budget is.

Does your computer only have low-profile PCIe slots or does it have full-height ones?

Hexoplex
Houston, TX

Hexoplex

Budget = around $40

Computer is pre-built, has room for a full size card, and according to their website the specs are as follows:

Operating System

Windows 8
Windows 7 Home Premium 86x64

Processor

AMD® FM2 Processor

Chipset

AMD A55 FCH

Graphic

Intel® HD Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce GT620 1GB/2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT630 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce G505 1GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT640 3GB
AMD® Radeon HD7470 1GB
AMD® Radeon HD7660D 2GB
AMD® Radeon HD8350 1GB

Memory

2 GB Up to 16 GB
Dual Channel, DDR3 at 1333MHz
4 x DIMM

Expansion Slots

1 x PCI-e x 1
2 x PCI-e x 16

SATA

6 x SATA 3Gb/s

Storage

Up to 4TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Optical Drive

Tray-in Supermulti DVD RW 24X
Blu-Ray Disc Combo

LAN

10/100/1000/Gigabits Mbps

Audio

SonicMaster
High Definition 8 Channel Audio

Front I/O Ports

1 x 6 -in-1 Card Reader
1 x Headphone
1 x Microphone
2 x USB 2.0

Back I/O Ports

2 x USB 3.0
4 x USB 2.0
1 x PS/2(Keyboard/Mouse)
1 x DVI-D
1 x HDMI-Out
1 x VGA(D-Sub)-Out
1 x RJ45 LAN
1 x 8 Channel Audio

Card Reader

6 -in-1: SD/ SDHC/ MS/ MS Pro/ xD/ MMC

Power Supply

350 W Peak
300 W Peak

Dimensions

6.8 x 14.1 x 15.7 inch (WxHxD)
9.5 x 18.8 x 20.2 inch (WxHxD) with Carton

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to Hexoplex

Premium Member

to Hexoplex
I would look at the GTX 750. Pcper did a look at this one specifically as a card for upgrading pre-builts without the PSU power to handle a card that needs additional power, did very well.

»www.pcper.com/reviews/Gr ··· ming-PCs

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Hexoplex

Premium Member

to Hexoplex
Which FM2 processor? An FM2 APU is likely going to have a beefier internal graphics chip than any discrete GPU you can buy for that price.

Does it have a discrete graphics card now?

You could do a couple things, neither of which you could do with $40. You could save up and replace the APU with a beefier APU which will give you increased graphics capacity (Trinity/Richland A10 APUs have been on sale with Black Friday details), or you could save up and put a graphics card in there.

List of compatible APUs for replacing the APU with a more powerful one (replacing the CPU): »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· eSize=30

FM2 can handle pretty much any GPU, and it sounds like you could handle up to a 100-125w card depending on what power connectors your power supply has.

List of compatible graphics cards for "Crossfiring" (adding together the combined power of the graphics portion of the APU with the discrete graphics card for additive graphics power): »www.cpu-world.com/info/A ··· ics.html

Hexoplex
Houston, TX

Hexoplex

said by Krisnatharok:

Does it have a discrete graphics card now?

Yes, it is an older one I had from a previous computer. I think it's a 1Gb card. The one I want to replace it with is a 2Gb that comes to $19.99 after mail in rebate.

I would normally save up to have more options at my disposal, but x-mas is coming and the kids will want stuff and things, and I am debating on resubbing my WoW account since MoP is/was $5 from the launch page.

After x-mas I am going to buy a newer computer and pass this one on to my daughter so she can play Minecraft, Clicker Heroes, Angry Birds, and YouTube (more Minecraft...loves StampylongNose [sp?]). Her current computer is a refurbished Dell (Low Pro) that does like 5 - 15 FPS on min settings in Minecraft and cannot even load Angry Birds Seasons.

I am not really looking to drop more then $40 on a computer that will become a 5 y/o's plaything.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

If the discrete card is shot, why not use the APU? Did you get a model number for the CPU?

My A4-5300 can play Titanfall @ 720, I am sure yours is fine for what you need to use it for.

Hexoplex
Houston, TX

Hexoplex

said by Krisnatharok:

Did you get a model number for the CPU?

No, I am "working" today and won't be able to do that until this evening.
said by Krisnatharok:

My A4-5300 can play Titanfall @ 720, I am sure yours is fine for what you need to use it for.

WoW (maybe), MineCraft, and 7DTD (currently).

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I can't recommend a course of action until we find out what model APU you have--likely it will be sufficient both to tide you over until you upgrade to a new machine and to allow your daughter to game on as a hand-me-down.

However, if the APU is not sufficient, I am unsure if a $40 GPU would be a step up from the APU. It all depends.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Hexoplex

to Hexoplex
My 2 cents, with that budget, you may want to look at Ebay and look into a used card.

Hexoplex
Houston, TX

Hexoplex to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
It is an A10-6700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.70 GHz
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to Hexoplex

Premium Member

to Hexoplex
That's a decent richland chip. Have you tried using the integrated graphics? The cards you are looking at aren't much of an advance, if any, over the integrated graphics in that cpu.

Hexoplex
Houston, TX

Hexoplex

I took out the video card and am now using the APU and it seems to have resolved the flickering black bars on 7DTD.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Hexoplex

to Hexoplex
Yeah, that APU is WAY better than that 620 card you were pondering.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Hexoplex

Premium Member

to Hexoplex
said by Hexoplex:

It is an A10-6700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.70 GHz

I'd recommend ditching the discrete card and using the APU. The A10 is a decently beefy Richland GPU.

If it's not quite enough, you can crossfire the A10 with either a Radeon HD 6570 or Radeon HD 6670--both of these models are two generations old, but they can be found new for between $50 and $100, and you also would likely have great luck finding them significantly cheaper on Ebay, Craigslist, and forums for used computer parts both here, Reddit, and Tom's Hardware.

Crossfiring would likely give you more bang for buck than simply relying on a non-compatible discrete GPU like an Nvidia card.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Hexoplex

Premium Member

to Hexoplex
I belive those cards you listed are what they will include, and it shows you have :

Expansion Slots
1 x PCI-e x 1
2 x PCI-e x 16

which means you can add a card, so yes, the gtx 610 should work just fine.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

FutureMark Score
A10-6700 APU: 3410
Nvidia GT 610: 550

Now I am not saying the APU is 6 times as powerful as the Nvidia card in games, just because it is in a synthetic benchmark, but this is showing that the APU is vastly more capable than that card.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

And that is fine, but he asked if he could use the card in the machine, the answer is yes

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The answer is he could (yes, a PCIe x16 video card would fit in the motherboard's x16 PCIe slot), but with the caveat that doing so would result in a waste of money that would result in a massive performance downgrade over the integrated graphics already present and not being utilized.

Hexoplex
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Hexoplex

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I've decided against upgrading for now and saving that money to put into my next computer. I spent the weekend putting the APU through it's paces and I am satisfied with the results.