All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bargepole
join:2001-05-12

bargepole

[DSL] Irksome NNTP Problem

If, after reconnecting to Teksavvy's network, my assigned dynamic IP address lies within the 24.91.0.0/255.255.0.0 subnet, I cannot connect to Teksavvy's NNTP server (news2.teksavvy.com). While the brute force solution of disconnecting and then reconnecting to get an IP address assignment outside the problem range works,
it is time consuming and disruptive to others on my LAN sharing the DSL connection.

I have called Teksavvy Help numerous times about this and each time have been told the range will be added to the server's access list. Since I always end up rebooting my connection anyway, I've never had opportunity to test the fix until the next time I'm assigned an address in that range. The "fix" has failed every time. Short of acquiring a new address each time my address falls within this range or renting a static address, can this be resolved?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hello,

Can you please post in the »/fo ··· avdirect and we'll get the IP range added to our list of allowed access.

Thanks,
Martin

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to bargepole

to bargepole
Did you typo that range?
Cause what you posted - 24.91.0.0 is owned by comcast for apparently the New England area of the united states.
That would certainly pose a problem.

Network
Net Range 24.91.0.0 - 24.91.127.255
CIDR 24.91.0.0/17
Name NEW-ENGLAND-6
Handle NET-24-91-0-0-2
Parent RW2-NORTHEAST-2 (NET-24-91-0-0-1)
Net Type Reassigned
Origin AS
Customer Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc (C02610696)

LD_in_ON
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23
WallyWorld

LD_in_ON to bargepole

Premium Member

to bargepole
I thought that it was only available with statc IP's, or is that for access to the binaries?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

To gain access to binaries, a Static IP is required. Otherwise all TekSavvy users will have access to our Newsgroups.

Martin

LD_in_ON
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23
WallyWorld

LD_in_ON

Premium Member

thanks, that's what i thought
bargepole

bargepole to oceros37

to oceros37
I most certainly did.
That first octet should be "23".

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

Do an arin.net lookup with the actual network prefix - need at least the 3rd octet.

I'd bet the registration date is probably relatively recent. Adding to some kinda access control list will probably be the cure.

P.s. newsgroups are still a thing?
bargepole

bargepole

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the net mask I included with the mistyped IP address is wrong, but it caught Teksavvy's personnels' eye and so the matter is being addressed in the "Direct" forum as I was advised to do.

As far as newsgroups being a thing, they are to those willing to wade through waves of spam, weather withering flame wars, withstand whirlpools of whimsical musings, wild conspiracies and wicked bigotry in order to wring out the occasional worthwhile wisp of wisdom.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by bargepole:

As far as newsgroups being a thing, they are to those willing to wade through waves of spam, weather withering flame wars, withstand whirlpools of whimsical musings, wild conspiracies and wicked bigotry in order to wring out the occasional worthwhile wisp of wisdom.

i see you are a follower of misc.alliteration