uniqs

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

4 edits

toby

[Qwest] Zyxel Q1000Z with ADSL/ADSL2, not working

Helping out a friend who has a Actiontec PK5000 (Qwest logo) used on a 5 / 0.896 Mbps line.
Setup for PPPoE with a qwest username/password. In an ex-Qwest area.

I bought a used Zyxel Q1000Z from ebay so that they could use 802.11n in their house for internal devices. I didn't want to complicate things for them (me) by having a better stand alone 2nd router in bridging mode.

No matter what I try, multiple resets via the web option or the reset button in the back, the modem can not be made to detect a DSL line.

The DSL light flashes green every few seconds but the web page shows a red DSL and of course a red internet connection. The WAN status page shows no numbers for line info, lots of N/As.

This table here: »internethelp.centurylink ··· e-q.html does list the Q1000Z as being ADSL/ADSL2 compatible.

At my home I have bonded VDSL and tried connecting this modem on a single line, and I get the same problem, the DSL light never goes solid green. I don't know if this is because I have a different VDSL setting that could stop this working at all, I have been told that if one of my lines is down, the internet would not work at all with my C2000T.

I thought maybe I got a bad Q1000Z, so I got another one. Same issue.

I wouldn't think that I would have to tell CL that I'm switching a modem.
They both have the latest firmware available.

Any ideas? Does the model take longer than a few minutes to detect a ADSL line?
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

On the Actiontec Q1000, it's pretty quick to detect DSL. If you haven't yet, I would perform a full reset on the device, because it sounds like somebody may have tried to configure those devices in a particular way. (maybe, clients on a different type of DSLAM, or they tried to make them work with U-Verse or something along those lines.)

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

I did perform full resets by both using the 'reset to defaults' on the web interface and by holding the reset button on the back for over a minute. No difference.

I did this on two Q1000Z modems, no difference. On other modems it was always a piece of cake to get working.

Do they have manual settings for the WAN phone port, such as DSLAM type that they defaulting to the wrong type?
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie to toby

to toby
Check, to see if it's set up correctly, here's a copy and paste from another post I made about getting another modem to work:

1. You may need to bypass the "Quick Setup" when you first plug the modem in.
2. Under Broadband settings, set the WAN interface to WAN DSL PTM, set the VLAN to enable, and set the Line Mode to Multimode.
3. Under WAN IP settings, set the protocol to PPPoE, enter in your PPP username and password. If you don't have these, talk to tech support and they'll give them to you. For my username, I had to use lastnamefirstname@qwest.net. It wouldn't work without the "@qwest.net" part. Your suffix may be different.
4. Under services/VLAN settings, create a VLAN, set the protocol to PPPoE, enter your PPPoE username and password, enable the VLAN, set the VLAN ID to 201, set he priority to 1, and add it.
5. Depending on how far you got in the Quick Setup, or on the modem, you may need to do step 4 before 2.

VPI/VCI should be 8/35.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

Thanks I shall try setting the line mode from auto to an ADSL/ADSL2 mode manually. There isn't a Multimode option, but I shall try them.

I know that the DSL light needs to be green before the PPPoE logins come in to play.
Stunty
join:2013-09-16
Littleton, CO

Stunty to toby

to toby
The C2000T should detect the xDSL line without any problems... Maybe try to do a reset to factory before using it on his line.
ADSL only product will have better performance if they are recent enough. The AFE is optimized for ADSL/ADSL2 frequencies.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

I got it working, I had to put the line mode to ATM from PTM, then all the auto settings worked. Otherwise it wouldn't self configure to the G.DMT mode.

Entered the PPPoE info and it was up and running. I tested both Q1000Z modems both worked once I set the mode to ATM.