Search similar:

uniqs

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

1 edit

modemport

question on 'extra' consumption

this is not regarding someone on TSI - this is a friend in oz in a remote area with very expensive, very low speeds.
in the past 48 hours she's 'consumed' 40gb of bandwidth which literally isn't possible due to her low speed.
when she saw after 24 hrs she had used up 20gb, she bought extra bandwidth blocks to help out until she investigated and realized something isn't kosher.
she wrote me earlier she's now at 40gb usage; she only gets 75gb per month.

i remember reading in TSI's thread how this has happened to other people and i'm hoping for some relevant feedback i can send her.

she said her isp is being uncooperative and if they don't shape up she'll get rid of them. but her startup costs with another will be massive.

she wrote me initially -

I have had a MAJOR issue with my internet... It was very slow yesterday so although I was surprised we'd run out I bought extra data blocks - $36 worth - to get us to the end of the month. A few hours later it was slow again so I went into my account. According to that we have used 20GB in 24 hours! Rang provider blah blah tried to find out WTF is going on but they can't tell me anything. I changed the router password and turned off all our devices and my data is just being eaten up. Apart from a few books and Bucky watching some short videos we haven't used any ourselves. I will demand an explanation or solution tomorrow.

all i can find which offers some info is

»[Cable] TekSavvy MyAccount bandwidth usage double what my monitoring reports?

i gave her a link for networx which monitors bandwidth consumption but i am hoping someone in this thread can help with advice on what she can do.

i'm not technically inclined so .... help is appreciated.
edit - she's technically inclined, at least to the extent if someone says something, she can look up things to get further info and understand it, so feel free to elaborate.

tia

TSI Pierre
Premium Member
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Pierre

Premium Member

I would suggest she looks at a few things

1- DDOS (is she being targeted?)
2- how many computers are sharing the connection? is it going through a router? Check the router and look for clues of UN-authorized access, or other computers downloading p2p or watching netflix or something similar.
3-Disconnect everything from the internet, is the consumption still going up?
4-Check for viruses, malware etc.

She mentions that her internet was "very slow" leading me to think that something is running on her line.

modemport
Montreal, QC

modemport

She has a property by a lake in Oz with cabins she rents out. The cabins all have access. Her last response to me is:

GBs used is now Forty and my ISP isn't being remotely helpful. Basically they don't give a shit. I changed my password immediately yesterday and lost the second 20G after doing that. I will go into some forums tonight. Bloody annoying. I will also disconnect everything tonight and see what happens. If it happens again and my ISP doesn' t help I will change my Provider.

It's 2h30am her time so she's asleep; in a few hours, I'll tell her to look at this thread for your help (thanks) and what anyone else may suggest.

I'm somewhat astonished her ISP refuses to help her.

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

1 edit

XoX

said by modemport:

She has a property by a lake in Oz with cabins she rents out. The cabins all have access. Her last response to me is:

GBs used is now Forty and my ISP isn't being remotely helpful. Basically they don't give a shit. I changed my password immediately yesterday and lost the second 20G after doing that. I will go into some forums tonight. Bloody annoying. I will also disconnect everything tonight and see what happens. If it happens again and my ISP doesn' t help I will change my Provider.

It's 2h30am her time so she's asleep; in a few hours, I'll tell her to look at this thread for your help (thanks) and what anyone else may suggest.

I'm somewhat astonished her ISP refuses to help her.

She rents out place with internet access that use the same connection she use? If so, there is a good chance that one of the renter is using it for p2p. The only way to find out, she must remove the router and only connect one computer to the modem for a full 24h or more depending on the ISP usage collection system.

If she can't remove the router, she must disconnect all network cable beside the one going to her computer and turn off the wireless in the router.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to modemport

to modemport
The fact that she only has 75gb/month tells me she should be changing providers anyways since she rents it out. If possible you should tell her to sign up with Teksavvy, at least she would get 300GB/month.

As for the issue, she needs to log into the router and watch the stats/logs and see whats going on. Also see who/what is connected and maybe start disconnecting people 1 by 1 until the connection stops being saturated.

Could even be some sort of attack as others have said. I know rogers recently forced a client of mine to update the firmware on his router or they would disconnect his internet. Maybe she can also do that while shes at it for extra measure.

modemport
Montreal, QC

modemport

*cough* as I said, she's in Australia *cough*
TheVedge
join:2008-03-06
Gatineau, QC

TheVedge

Should be a business opportunity: TekAussy

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

1 recommendation

bryanviper to modemport

to modemport
Sorry did not realize oz = Australia. Usually when people talk about another country they will call it by its actual name. It tends to help in situations like this.
said by modemport:

*cough* as I said, she's in Australia *cough*

InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to XoX

to XoX
said by XoX:

The only way to find out, she must remove the router and only connect one computer to the modem for a full 24h or more depending on the ISP usage collection system.

No need to disconnect anything if the router supports per-IP logging: enable per-IP logging and see who uses how much of what.