Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

[DSL] Up and down

A little over two months ago our area had a severe storm during which a large tree limb was blown across the cable that connects our area to the remote. The technician found several pairs open and others were a solid short. Frontier told me at the time they were going to replace the damaged cable but later they decided they would not because most of the defective pairs now tested good. I explained that once compromised it is always compromised and they would have intermittent problems particularly when the weather changed.

So here we are today after have over a foot of wet heavy snow yesterday that froze overnight. The CSR and I set here watching both circuits go up and down. The trouble ticket has been marked to the attention of the area Service Manager and the General Manager.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Hmm, Technician from another area came out today. He checked several pairs. He reported that on all pairs he checked he found AC and higher than normal resistance. I wonder if our GM and local Service Manager are still going to declare this an acceptable line.

I also over the weekend I checked with a few neighbors and they have also experienced the same problems. Internet re-syncs and telephone dropping.
Nialis
join:2003-09-24
Franklin, NC

Nialis to Hank

to Hank
they typically don't care about inducted AC on the line unless it's unsafe, even if there is an audible 60hz hum. But having unreasonably high attenuation should be something they will want to fix. Because it's a local issue and not a community widespread issue such as oversold bandwidth they are much more likely to sort out the problem.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Well it must be having some impact as the circuit is going up and down again with a heavy AC hum on the voice.
Nialis
join:2003-09-24
Franklin, NC

Nialis

You may be able to have your internet fixed just by getting the voice fixed... and the easiest way to do that is to contact the area manager and let him know that Federal law requires them to maintain a usable phone line so in the event you need emergency services you can call them. Then contact your local PUC... Sh!t rolls downhill dude.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

I have contacted the CEO, Maggie Wilderotter and she advised the Area Manager, Dana Waldo to contact me. Never heard from him. I have talked with our local GM and the Service Manager. I have filed complaints with the FCC because of past voice problems. These problems are regular occurrences. I have done everything Frontier has asked me to do. No change.

New cable to the NID
Replaced modems/routers
Installed new filters

PSC in WV has no authority to do anything other than chop off on rate increases.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Frontier called this morning said a technician would come by this afternoon, but they never showed.

McPolygon
join:2013-11-25
Bonney Lake, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
MikroTik RB4011

McPolygon

said by Hank:

they never showed.

I don't understand why this happens so much with FTR service calls. There seems to be a complete disconnect between the phone based contact centers, the field, and any sort of followup to commitments with the customer after you hang up with them. This is like customer service 101 type stuff. Its not rocket surgery.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

The Frontier techs came out yesterday and tested the lines, lots of errors. They tested the pairs and redid any splices in the line. I am under impression that on one section the spliced in a small segment of new cable. On the one line with heavy AC they placed a drain. Afterwards one line had a couple resyncs, did the connections again at the NID and things cleared up. This morning just for insurance they also used new pairs from the drop to the NID. Things looking good at the current time. One circuit 15ms ping and 80% of provisioned speed, the other line 30 ms pine and a little greater percentage of provisioned speed (roughly 85%). Time will tell.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Had a windy period on Thursday and things flared up again. Once the wind stopped things settled down and have been stable since. Notified AE and GM.
Hank

Hank

Premium Member

Another 8 hour outage, this time only one DSL line was impacted. Voice quality was impacted on both lines during this period. No feedback from GM and AE on the outage posted above. Although the AE and GM were notified again I am doubtful I will hear anything from them. A trouble ticket was submitted on this and the previous outage.