All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dethklok241
join:2014-11-27
Fort Wayne, IN

dethklok241

[CustSvc] Two Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement notices...

Hello, I regret doing this, but I have been downloading with utorrent and one day I downloaded four files,(movies) and didnt know i would be caught but yesterday and today, I got two claim of copyright infrigemnt notices from comcast.

the letter goes like this:

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in one of the following formats:

Comcast Customer Security Assurance
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
Phone: (888) 565-4329
Fax: (856) 324-2940

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at »www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

and then it shows the files downloaded with the size and at the top of the email it shows my name no pictures though. They were files I got so Im wondering if i should be worried about being sued or something negative.
kenward1
join:2000-01-05
Olympia, WA

3 recommendations

kenward1

[CustSvc] Re: Two Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement notices...

I've always thought, when you steal something, you should be worried about the consequences.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to dethklok241

Premium Member

to dethklok241
A} STOP doing that!
while it is unlikely they will persue over a couple infringements, failure to desist now that you have been notified would evidence of WILLFUL disregard.
Expand your moderator at work

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy to dethklok241

Premium Member

to dethklok241

Like tshirt See Profile said, STOP doing that. You will have a lot on your plate if you don't. The least of your worries is getting sued by the RIAA/MPAA, the worst is you can end up in jail (five years in federal prison or $250,000 fine or both) for criminal copyright infringement. If you see the disclaimers at the end of a DVD with the FBI piracy warning, the threat
of prosecution is real.

Don't risk your financial future or worse your freedom over saving $9.99 by downloading instead of buying the Blu-ray.

They probably won't go after you for a few items but if they find your hard drive full of pirated works, you'll be in for a rude awakening. And having your internet service terminated will be the least of your problems.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to dethklok241

MVM

to dethklok241
said by dethklok241:

Hello, I regret doing this, but I have been downloading with utorrent and one day I downloaded four files,(movies) and didnt know i would be caught ...

The big, and well known, issue with the BitTorrent protocol (which uTorrent uses) is that your IP address is revealed to other members of a swarm. When using a public torrent, agents for the IP owners will join the swarm, and identify the IP addresses of the participants. It is not a matter of, "if", but of "when" any given torrenter will be "caught".

... but yesterday and today, I got two claim of copyright infrigemnt notices from comcast.

The relatively good news is that the IP owners probably don't know who you are. I am reasonably certain Comcast only responds to subpoenas when providing customer contact data. They do forward DMCA notices, which is what you got. But, until you hear directly from the agents for the IP in question, further action is not likely.

That said, the best way to avoid costlier legal entanglements in the future is to cease and desist.
Expand your moderator at work

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to dethklok241

to dethklok241

youre fine.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to SomeTool

Premium Member

to SomeTool
said by SomeTool :

Comcast is owned by (surprise surprise) NBC Universal.

The other way round, I think.
NBC one of comcast's investments.
But yes they are content owners and as any IP owner, they expect to get paid for use of their product.

SomeTool
@173.231.127.x

SomeTool

Anon

Right you are!

In any case those letters belong in the garbage. They can expect all day long, they cannot prove you actually downloaded anything. They see your IP in the swarm and that is the extent of their knowledge. Your IP will be in the swarm even if you still have not received the first piece of the torrent.

Change ISP, it really is that simple.
drjenkins
join:2005-03-30
Bealeton, VA

1 recommendation

drjenkins

said by SomeTool :

Change ISP, it really is that simple.

Not so simple if Comcast is the only game in town.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to dethklok241

to dethklok241

Re: [CustSvc] Two Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement notices...

well, curious minds are wondering... what are the movies in question?