All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wparkins
join:2011-11-17

wparkins

Installation

I figured i would post a recent experience I had with Teksavvy at my location. To be clear I have no issues with Teksavvy whatsoever or the process / length of time it took to solve my problems because of the nature of the problems.

I had an intermittent connection issue, lag spikes were common as well as minutes/hours/days of downtime. This was hard for rogers to diagnose because by the time a ticket was sent to them, and they processed it I was usually up again. Fast forward 6 months and my connection goes down, for good this time.

A technician finally comes and looks at my box, comments on how messed it is (no ground, not closed, water damage in the box, etc. etc.) and how it should be completely replaced. Here is what I don't understand, i know for a fact that my box was a problem at my install initially becayse the tech commented on it... but he managed to get it to work and walked away. I also know that recently my neighbor installed internet (via teksavvy) and nothing was done. So at least two previous technicians came and did nothing about a problem that seemed to be apparent. I have nothing but praise for the last one who came and made a temp fix then came back a couple days later and replaced the box (from a work order he put in as required). But how does this happen? Is it a lack of quality of services rendered because its teksavvy or something else?

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

Unfortunately they do it because they can and it's done with impunity.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to wparkins

to wparkins
Crappy.

There is impact to the install tech's performance numbers/metrics if there is a repair dispatch within i think 30 days(?) of the install work (or normal repair dispatch).

So he might have felt it would work well enough to get past that point, and then generate another work order for eventual issues.

$$$

The other tech that went out for your neighbor - was it the exact same box you're talking about? House apartment type deal with both in the same protector box? That other tech would typically have zero incentive to do anything but his assigned work order.
wparkins
join:2011-11-17

wparkins

said by oceros37:

was it the exact same box you're talking about?

ya it was the same box, though my neighbors (in the same building) only reported lag spikes never really downtime.

crowbarone
join:2014-01-31
Scarborough, ON

2 edits

crowbarone to wparkins

to wparkins

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to wparkins

MVM

to wparkins
At the end it's all about the people. Ignorants, idiots, lazy bastards and ... the normal decent ones.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to wparkins

to wparkins
Actually you'll find that most rogers techs are subcontractors and usually paid by the job. They are paid for what ever work order they have. If replacing the box isn't on the order, then they aren't being paid to do it and generally won't.

I'd imagine Rogers has some type of revist metric that would negatively affect the original tech, however i highly doubt it is 30 days, Bell tried 30 days before and there are far too many customers who lack basic common sense. Power bars get turned off, tv's die, cats and children piss and pull on wires. At Bell, we are only affected for 7 days out. But, we are also paid by the hour and in general, if something needs replacing we are given the time and the leeway to either fix it or refer the order to the department that handles the fixes.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

I went to an information/hiring session for one of the subcontractors and they said as the tech you would 'own' the address for 30 days. That really might just be getting into specifics with that contractor, but I'm also combining that with some stuff I have read online about being a rogers subcontractor. The politics and numbers BS, and from what I've read it's 30 or 31 day window that would come back to bite the tech's metrics.

The annoying part from the techs perspective is all the general BS that could happen within a month, from having the wrong input set on the TV, the city slicing up wiring during a dig, poor phone support jumping straight to dispatch and missing something basic, an area outage with a truck roll before work orders get pulled, etc.