All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chewtoy0
join:2006-02-21
CANADA

chewtoy0

[Internet] No Roger's signal to building in Downtown Barrie...options?

I live in the middle of Downtown Barrie, Ontario. Approximately 10 years ago my landlord pretty much banished Rogers from the building because of a dispute over holes being drilled in structure. There are at least two units here that still have Rogers service AND Shaw Satellite service is available to the rest of us, including my unit.

I've had three techs here, all of who said that it is possible to get our unit service with Rogers...but the work had to be done by senior techs. The last appointment we had was with a senior tech that was here less than 10 minutes; he said "no signal here, there's nothing I can do...I am recommending your call and account be cancelled". I returned the modem and closed my account the next day.

My landlord spoke to the third tech about putting a Roger's box back inside the building. The tech said that would be expensive to which my landlord said "I don't care, get it done". There's 9 units in here that would be potential customers...considering that the fastest service from Bell at this location is 10 or 15 mb/s down and 1mb/s up...and Rogers is nearly 4 times that...no brainer.

I don't trust what the senior tech said. This is the financial district in a city of 170000 people. There's no reason in my mind it cannot be done. They were in this building and could be again, I get the sense that tech didn't want to do the work.

Could someone advise me here? Who do I call, what do I ask for? I'm not satisfied with the 2003 speed of 15/1 that I'm limited to with DSL (another problem I don't understand...there's routers on Bell nearby tossing out much more speed).

I really appreciate the help and guidance.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Sounds like your landlord pissed off both telecom companies and neither are willing to do the work now for present day service. For Rogers to hook up the building, the landlord would be on the hook for 10s of thousands of dollars. Bell obviously has chosen to upgrade surrounding buildings, but not yours, and that is usually due to poor experiences with ownership. The first buildings to get FTTH or FTTN are usually a crap shoot, and based on the best return on investment. After that though, everyone generally gets it.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to chewtoy0

Premium Member

to chewtoy0
One option for your landlord if he want's to have either Bell or Rogers services in his building is for him to get a contractor in have the building rewired so that there is a central demarcation point either inside or outside for both cable and phone this way no more holes need to be drilled and the building will be up to 2014 specs.

For Rogers that would be an RG6 riser cable to each unit to a central location and than RG6 ran to every outlet in the unit.

For Bell that would mean either cat 3 or cat 5e, cat 5e is better, riser to every unit to a central location and than either cat 3 or cat 5e to every outlet.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to chewtoy0

to chewtoy0
Rogers will bring service, if 2 units have service, then the building is already considered serviceable.
It just needs to be rebuilt.

The landlord needs to get in touch with Rogers. If he has an idea of how he wants it done.
(If he say wants everything to run inside from a central location).

Other than that, providing your landlord signs a piece of paper allowing a tech to bring service to your specific unit by means of drilling from the outside and wrapping the cable around the exterior, you can have service at your unit, it's just not pretty, but it will be free.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

The big problem people run into getting service is because the address is considered off plant.

You're one up, if 2 of 9 units have service, you're building is in plant.

If you have an exterior wall in your unit, no higher than 2nd floor and the tech has a signed letter of permission to drill and a tap nearby. You can get service.
chewtoy0
join:2006-02-21
CANADA

chewtoy0

Thanks to everyone that replied. I'll speak again to my landlord and see if we can get this done.
We are however, three floors up. Here's hoping.
chewtoy0

chewtoy0

Addendum:

So far no movement on the Rogers issue.

So we tried the DSL route. Primus to be exact. Signed up for 25mb/s. Two days later are told that's not available at my address.
Signed up for 16mb/s. Found out today THAT'S not available here EITHER. The only package available here is 7mb/s because the building is unprovisioned.

I think 7mb/s is a high estimate of what I could expect and I still can't fathom how my address in the center of downtown Barrie...surrounded by banks and businesses is limited to the absolute lowest broadband packages available.

Maybe the earlier poster is correct. Maybe it's a dispute thing with the companies. I need this sorted. I'm a HEAVY user and that speed is simply inadequate. I could sit in my car outside a laundromat and get higher speeds with my tablet and their wifi.

Are there any other ideas out there for how I could get a non 2001 speed?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

said by chewtoy0:

Addendum:

I think 7mb/s is a high estimate of what I could expect and I still can't fathom how my address in the center of downtown Barrie...surrounded by banks and businesses is limited to the absolute lowest broadband packages available.

Except banks and multinational businesses don't generally rely on regular telecom infrastructure. They generally have dedicated business fibre lines, or at the very least are on a backhaul network. Hell even the RBC in my little Metcalfe, ON is FTTB, with no FTTH anywhere for miles