Search similar:

uniqs

Aex
@96.242.243.x

Aex

Anon

[Networking] Avaya VPN phone can't connect out through bridged ActionTec/Archer

Hi all,

This one has me stumped. I recently put in an Archer C7 router behind my Actiontec and I bridged the Actiontec using the instructions on this site. The Archer picks up the external IP address, handles WiFi, DHCP, etc.

I have an Avaya VPN phone (9640) from work which I use at home. It plugs into the network via cat5 and makes it's own VPN connection back to the office. It worked seamlessly before with just the Actiontec, but using the Archer it fails to complete the VPN connection. It seems to make the connection back ok, then fails connecting to the call server within the work network.

On the Actiontec I turned off the firewall before connecting, so that shouldn't be it, and I've tried putting it in the DMZ on the Archer too, so nothing there stopping it either.

Any other suggestions to try?

I'd rather not double-NAT, and the phone requires a DHCP server, so if I did that I'd need to leave DHCP on the ActionTec.

Thanks,

Alex

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

It's not clear which configuration you used.
There are 10 different configurations listed here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
It's also not clear if you have FIOS-TV or not.

Why not put the Actiontec behind the Archer (option 6)?
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to Aex

to Aex
do you have TV service? is there a reason you have the Actiontec in the picture?

if not, then you really should be ont to Ethernet, and going straight to your devices.

Otherwise if you need the Actiontec, then is the tp link wan ip in the dmz of the Actiontec?

Aex
@96.242.243.x

Aex

Anon

Hi,

Yes, I have TV service.

No, the TPLink WAN IP isn't in the DMZ of the Actiontec. I go the TPLink IP after releasing from the Actiontec, so wasn't sure it would be the same, and once switched over, can't get back to the ActionTec as it has no IP address.

If the Actiontec is bridging all traffic, and the firewall is set to minimal, is the DMZ still required? I thought it ought to be passing all traffic straight through at that point.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

You didn't answer my question about which of the 10 options you're using.

Nor my question about why you're not using option #6.

Can't help you if you don't answer the questions asked.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to Aex

to Aex
yes if the Actiontec is truly set to bridge, then all router functionality is dead, including firewalls (there is none) and the DMZ is not functional etc. you're right it should be going straight through.

The bridging steps you did are important, based on one of the options, there might be something known about it, or something that was missed. double check which option you used, and then more fiber has some great, more direct questions about those settings.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Aex

Premium Member

to Aex
While I was still using my 9640 as H.323 with the VPN setup, I never had any issues with the Actiontec at the edge, but then again, I never added a second "router" to the mix. (I now run the phone as SIP to an SBC...no more IPSec VPN) My suggestion would be to make your Archer router as primary and put the Actiontec bridged behind it to do the deed for your TV service. There are descriptions of that in the link that More Fiber provided. You will then get everything the phone needs locally from your Archer router and not have any kind of Double NAT.

aex
@96.242.243.x

aex

Anon

Hmm, oddly it seems to have lost my earlier reply.

I was using setup 4, which I originally described as bridging it.

I've just changed it to setup 2 - this has the phone working, although not sure I want the double-hop with the routers.

I didn't change to using cat5 with the ONT because my study has coax run to it from the ONT, and it's a fair way through the house, and up a floor. I'd have to do some work to get the cat5 through the walls and ceiling/floor to replace the coax to get the network in the sort of fashion I'd want it, given where the other devices in the house are.

I can't just shove the TPLink next to the ONT as that would put it down in the basement (4 story house), and would rather destroy the point of buying it as a nice new Wifi AP.

I do have FiOS TV, so need to keep the ActionTec hanging around to use it for that.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

The term "Bridging" is widely misused, which is why I asked you for the specific option.

Option #4 does not support VZ STBs. If you have VZ STBs, then you want the double bridge configuration (#5), not #4.

However, for your purposes, I would suggest option #3. It avoids the double NAT'ing and the double router hop.