uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

OK, ready for a video card

OK, I'm ready to get a video card. A little while ago I built a PC with help from the brain trust in here:

»Building a box for myself after many years

I didn't have the money for a video card then and had to wait a bit. I'm ready now. The card that was suggested then was the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card and I'm wondering if that is still the best bet for me and this build?

I'm not a gamer but I do edit home movies and minor stuff like that. Honestly the integrated video has been fine with no problems at all. But I feel this thing deserves a dedicated card and I like having one for future things that might crop up. So I don't want or need to go crazy but I don't want to cheap out either.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Mentat

Premium Member

I'd go for this to be honest: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 566&SID=

You get two free games with it as well.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Actually intel quicksync used beats cpu, and gpu processing if you've been using it, one of the great features of the intel processor/gpu. It actually might take longer to render videos with a dedicated card, and hopefully virtu is on your motherboard dvd to restore quicksync with a dedicated card installed.

If you want the addition video connections that's one thing.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
For $130, this will be much more powerful than the 260X, and comes with the two free games (Star Citizen and Alien Isolation):

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14131570
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Mentat

to Mentat
dont get the R7 260x u will have tons of black screens ttrust me i regret buying this card

91862239 (banned) to Sentinel

to Sentinel
i say get this card some one recommeded it to me over at the secondlife forums
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
said by 91862239:

dont get the R7 260x u will have tons of black screens ttrust me i regret buying this card

Uh, care to specify which brand of 260X is giving you black screens? I have not seen any reports of the entire 260X model being a bad card.

Short of corroborating info, this is just FUD.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
said by 91862239:

i say get this card some one recommeded it to me over at the secondlife forums
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1

Someone recommended a card for YOUR uses and YOUR budget, and you think it's a one-size-fits-all? I'm sorry, but this is drastically more expensive than the R9 280 I linked ($175 vs. $130) and slightly slower: »gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon- ··· -GTX-760
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Yeah, that is a little more than I want to spend. Looking for closer to $100 to $125 area. The one I linked to is $130 and $15 rebate, which upper end of what I want to spend.

»www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supe ··· 0IDG3IDO

Not really a gamer so free games that come with it are not really important to me.

Lots of good choices coming in though. I'l check them all out. Thanks guys!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The 280 ($130) is, simply put, a significant step up from the 750 Ti for the same price:

»gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon- ··· X-750-Ti
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
they only had the XFX R7 260x at bestbuy

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Mentat to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

For $130, this will be much more powerful than the 260X, and comes with the two free games (Star Citizen and Alien Isolation):

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14131570

Much stronger, but also overkill I believe.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to graphics cards, assuming 1) it fits the budget, 2) it fits the power supply, and 3) it fits the case.

You *always* buy the most powerful card that fits the above 3 parameters. "Overkill" simply means future-proofing and you can run games maxed out for longer--or from another perspective--get acceptable FPS for longer before having to upgrade.

Since the 750 Ti and 280 are in the same price point, he should always get the 280, absent external considerations like a proprietary tech (Eyefinity, Gsync, Nvidia FSAA, etc.).
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
said by 91862239:

they only had the XFX R7 260x at bestbuy

That doesn't answer my question. Why are you blasting the entire 260X model?

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
No argument there, I just feel that for Farmville-esque gaming, $130 is money better saved.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Mentat:

I just feel that for Farmville-esque gaming, $130 is money better saved.

Good point--I hadn't looked closely at his uses and just went with the given price point. Did he ever go over which video editing program he uses? Is it hardware accelerated?

Without knowing that, I'd second your recommendation for the 260X @ the $95 price-point. The 280 is a big step up, but likely wasted for someone who does not game, unless there is a big rendering benefit to be had.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
There really isn't any reason not to use the integrated graphics in your situation. I don't see any value to adding a card to your machine for home movie editing/non-gaming.

If you feel you have to buy something then I would get something inexpensive but not excessively low end like a geforce 650 or a radeon 250 card, which can be had for $70-80. I wouldn't bother though.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

I use the usual movie editing stuff like Avidemux and Handbrake and stuff like that, mostly to convert and play around family movies for archiving and sending to relatives. Nothing to intense. Zero gaming.

As I said, I don't really need a dedicated card. The integrated graphics work fine so far, although I have not really tried to stress them. I just want one because I like the idea but mostly because I can move it to other systems later if need be that might not have integrated graphics. I like the idea of having a decent video card around in case I need one.

For example if I decide to build another PC and that one does not have integrated graphics I can always take the card out of this PC and put it in that one because this does have integrated graphics. Always good to have options

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Do you have any other systems now without an iGPU? If not, don't buy a GPU now, you have zero reason for one. Find something else to do with the money if it is burning a hole in your pocket.

If you want to keep an extra GPU on hand "just because" or for contingencies (a legit reason), wait until a GT 610 or something drops to $15-20 on Newegg.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Take the spouse out to dinner, your kids a couple toys/games this holiday season, or buy a good fifth of alcohol to drink with friends.

As said, if you must buy something just to collect dust get something like a nvidia 720 which should perform at least as well as your onboard gpu. I'm not sure why they were made in the first place except when people needed a cheap hdmi/dvi video connection for older systems, otherwise they were used to pad the price of package systems.