uniqs
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning

Re: S.O.S.: Bell ignorant about decaying overhead F1 cable

said by HeadSpinning:

When we chose locations for cabinets, we try to be in an area where cars won't hit them, and whenever we have a dip on a hydro pole, we try to put it on the opposite side of the pole facing away from traffic. I just don't see that level of attention to detail in Bell's deployments.

Just common sense. The Cogeco stuff around here is mostly aerial lines ground, but it's 7330 equivalents (I don't know what they are called) generally aren't on concrete pads. I am not saying that is poor practice (they look like they have a plastic purpose made base)... but it probably doesn't help that they are likely poorly anchored.

One of the 7330 boxes for Bell around here has posts to protect it... but everything, include those posts, cost money. Sometimes a penny spent is a dollar saved though.

I am actually hoping a car accident or tree takes out of the main distribution boxes on the corner that services my area. My area is load coiled up to provide service (line distance: 9.5 KM from the CO, and 4.5 KM from a 7330 - our load coiled up line actually runs right past a 7330).

DSL is doable with upgrades, as is fibre, if they would only sort out my particular neighbourhood.

Sometimes things have to be really messed up to force Bell's hand for upgrades.
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yup! Green covers here, too. I don't know how they make the determination between vaults or peds.

I saw a notice that Bell has also applied to the Committee of Adjustment to establish an easement for telecommunication services in behind a few lots near my home. It looks like they want to extend their easement further south and connect it to another street. Is my neighbourhood next after they finish the one they're doing now? I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Good for you if it comes soon. I don't wish anybody bad service, but I do wish Bell would handle my area soon with DSL or fibre. It's not like I can go with anybody else.... there isn't any competition for wired services in my neighbourhood, although the lines will pass through a Cogeco zone.

I have a feeling that due to the condition of the copper, when upgrades do come we will likely get fibre to the pole or home to replace all the shoddy work on our line run now. The advantage with that, is when it comes, we might just get the best stuff available.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

As we've told you before, you can't just remove a load coil. At the distance you have they are an engineering necessity. Fttn wouldn't serve you well either at the distance you are from your cabinet. FTTH is your only hope as dsl will never be available, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

As for the pedestal vs vaults, the vaults are a terrible idea. If you have an underground vault, hope that your service doesnt go out in the winter. The technicians have no way of locating the vaults under snow, and we sometimes have to use google street view just to locate pedestals come winter. In Kanata North, Bell and hydro ottawa have apparently coordinated with the city to have access terminals installed in street scaping such as light posts. I really wish i had a picture of this but it is well designed, both for residents who dont have to see any access pedestals and from an engineering standpoint to have them protected within solid street posts.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

We don't get nearly the amount of snow down here in the winter as you guys do further north, and when we do get the occasional lake effect dump it is hardly permanent for the entire winter.

And not only that, but don't they put a metal conductor in the cable for locate purposes, anyway? It doesn't exactly sound like rocket science to find a vault even if there is a few inches of snow on top of it. Not to mention that the town is able to locate water shutoffs and sewer cleanouts that have been buried by dirt and grass, too.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

As we've told you before, you can't just remove a load coil. At the distance you have they are an engineering necessity. Fttn wouldn't serve you well either at the distance you are from your cabinet. FTTH is your only hope as dsl will never be available, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

I am not holding my breath... and I am aware there is a complete re-engineering required and you can't just remove load coils without major reengineering.

However, it happened on either side of me. I pass by an old load coil case (will take a picture sometime) on Black Bay all the time. Remnants of old buried copper along with all kinds of metal junction boxes. Above... two sets of fibre have been strung... one likely service, another to service the 7330 about 10 KM away on Black Bay.

I know the push seems to be over, and Bell doesn't really care if I have quality services.... but I think it will happen within a few years just based on necessity. The pictures show some crappy networking that they HAVE to know about.... it just doesn't lie. With recent multi-day outages... I think they are barely hanging onto the copper network right now as is.

17 houses are totally without wireline internet (a captive market ripe for service), there are only 18 copper pairs serving the these 17 houses. 3 of the pairs are not operational. We take up two pairs alone for landline X 2.

I assume you can't put two lines on one copper pair somehow?

Bell has a few options when they run out of pairs on my side WRT to landline service due to newer construction:

- refuse basic landline service (is that allowed?)
- Offer customers to rely on cellular (is that allowed?)
- Try and get the bad pairs working ( still maxed out if everyone gets a landline)
- install more copper pairs
- install fibre

Along the same run that services my neighbourhood, I estimate there are another 40-60 houses on the other side of Hwy 17 that are not serviced by fibre, but have access to Cogeco cable internet and likely TV/phone. That is a total of about 6 KM of line run (there is a side street). I am going to actually try and get completely accurate figures sometime to break things down.

If I assume they can get 42 customers (the captive 17 + 25 from Cogeco which reportedly doesn't offer good quality right now), and sign them up for say $150 a month in landline services (mix of TV, phone and internet), that is $6300 monthly.... or $75,600 yearly.

Divide the yearly cost into per KM of line (it is possible to go all aerial in a re-line), they will recoup $12,600 per KM of line per year signing up 100% of the not served customers, and 50% from competitors switching.

I wouldn't say that is too bad of a return. I don't have figures what it costs per KM to install and re-engineer, but Bell wanted to charge me $260,000 to bury fibre from the CO to my house for dedicated 20/20 fibre (another outragous story)... 9.5 KM... that is $26,000 per KM.

If that is accurate figures for 100% buried infastructure at $26,000 per KM, somewhere around a 2 year return on investment to upgrade keeping the same buried infastructure.

I don't know what they aim for for ROI time periods.

This doesn't take into account any other costs such as a 7330, but recouping $12,600 per KM per year.... & availability to install aerial lines.... I just don't see how a business case cannot be presented.

I am just unsure what other strong business cases there are out there? Or are they waiting for the labour costs to get cheaper somehow? (LOL) Upgrading just seems to make sense.

Either side of me (Black Bay Road, and Barron Canyon), within several KM's is FTT-Pole. The housing density is less in many of those installs than it is in my area, and there are also less businesses.

The challenge is that much of the copper infastructure was buried unnecessarily on my line run...... But there are very tall poles all along the street.

On Black Bay Road, it was also buried, and they just went above ground for the fibre upgrades... so it isn't impossible.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by jumpingryan:

I assume you can't put two lines on one copper pair somehow?

Bell has a few options when they run out of pairs on my side WRT to landline service due to newer construction:

- refuse basic landline service (is that allowed?)
- Offer customers to rely on cellular (is that allowed?)
- Try and get the bad pairs working ( still maxed out if everyone gets a landline)
- install more copper pairs
- install fibre

You forgot AML, which is the most obvious choice in a situation like this. It would allow you to put more than one telephone line onto a single pair of copper.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Or ident-a-call as they use sometimes now. Aml is no longer used, but similar principle. As for ROI for roll outs, somewhere around $1000/house passed seems to be the threshold. So $26,000/km, you'd better hope there are 26 houses in that km, and every km from you to the CO.

As for waiting for labour costs to get cheaper, don't laugh but Bell has their ways and they will if needed. When Entourage came about in 1997 hundreds of Bell Canada technicians (making on average $20-30/hour + pensions and benefits, very good money in 1997), were told they would be laid off without severance or forced to accept a job with Entourage where pay capped out at around $20/hr and only for those most senior. Fast forward 17 years and Bell has since bought Entourage Technical Solutions and renamed it Bell Technical Solutions (bringing back in-house their install/repair department), where we no longer have a pension and the cap out for our pay just hit $27/hr this past May with the cost of living increase. So for those technicians who are still are from 1997, they are just now making what they made 17 years ago (minus the pension, and with fewer benefits) and while $27/hr is still decent money today, costs of living are much higher now than in 1997. Now, i most certainly wasn't around then and do not cap out the pay scale yet, however this goes to show you that Bell has lowered labour costs in the past. The role of us at BTS has changed exponentially since even i have been with the company, where we were strictly repairmen, devices mailed out to customers and you never saw us, to our primary purpose now being installers. We also handle a much greater share of CO and business class work than the Bell Canada technicians who still remain (and have much higher salaries).
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

You forgot AML, which is the most obvious choice in a situation like this. It would allow you to put more than one telephone line onto a single pair of copper.

AML? Never hear of that.... What is this ackronoym stand for? I assume that ident-a-call (mentioned by Btech) and AML are load coil compatible?
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Or ident-a-call as they use sometimes now. Aml is no longer used, but similar principle. As for ROI for roll outs, somewhere around $1000/house passed seems to be the threshold. So $26,000/km, you'd better hope there are 26 houses in that km, and every km from you to the CO.

Well, $260,000 is buried the whole way line.... 9.5 KM or so. It was a quote given to me after the site survey for a 20/20 dedicated fibre line (I was going to pay $600 a month - obviously I couldn't afford the install). The quote was given to me by the Bell Business department.

It would be pretty much the whole route of the line as it goes now, and pass by almost all the residences on the street. I have NO idea why they wanted to bury the line the whole way, and I told the representative that this is somewhat shoddy of a quote... I don't think much effort was put into it.

It was by far the HIGHEST quote the rep had ever seen. He assumed the build out would be free, as there is fibre much closer within 4.5 KM (a 7330), and above ground infrastructure.

-------

Hmmm, now that I get bit more of an ideal on the ROI... thanks for that.... $1000 a house seems pretty low to me though for ROI, and if that is indeed the number, no wonder nobody gets service.

I have to assume that someone spends on average $100 or more per month services that involve fibre (since it can carry phone, internet, IPTV, and in the future, VOD from Bell). That is technically 10 months they want to get a ROI. Not many businesses ROI after less than a year..... you would figure a major corporation with capital would actually accept a longer ROI to make more money in the end.

There will be a few that do the internet thing only, and possibly be close but under the $100 threshold.... but those people are usually the ones that get the best package.

My choice in packages would likely be the 250/250 business package for net (best available), one business landline line (possible 1800), another residential land line, and residential TV (similar to better/best in the Bell Sat setup). Somewhere

In my circumstances, two to 4 months might ROI my residence at $1000.

If only Bell could work with the customer to figure this sort of stuff out. I am here to do business. Unfortunately, Cogeco isn't interested (and they are the closest), Bell doesn't communicate, and NRTC already has plans that don't involve my area.

I will try and do up a google maps thing and post it up later once I get some more data on my neighbourhood. I have a partial one now for the 16/17 residences (one is being built now), but I only recently discovered a fairly large patch of people along the line run actually don't have Bell coverage.

Who knows, I just might be able to get someone other than the people on here to listen with the right set of data! Then again, I will could be wasting my time (but at least not limited bandwidth) LOL
jumpingryan

jumpingryan

said by jumpingryan:

AML? Never hear of that.... What is this ackronoym stand for? I assume that ident-a-call (mentioned by Btech) and AML are load coil compatible?

Never mind, found it.... "pair gain"

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_gain

"Analog pair gain came into disfavor in the 21st century, as it is detrimental to high speed dial-up modem connections, does not support 56k and is incompatible with Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) systems. 20th century Subscriber Loop Carrier systems had similar problems. More recent digital pair gain systems, however, restore 56k and DSL capabilities by performing the functions of a DSLAM at the pair gain device."

I assume that means installing a stinger, 7330, or some other device to do digital pair gain... LOL If they do analog, you can't even use a dialup connection.... LOL seems pretty backwards to go that way!

Sounds like it just might be cheaper to do the fibre thing rather than revert to copper with a bunch of extra equipment?

I assume with FTTH setups there aren't any limits on number of landlines and stuff like that.... landlines and data just travel on the same pipe's.... similar to a VOIP setup?

canaduh
join:2008-12-13
Kitchener, ON

canaduh

Wow, a whole lotta topic hijacking goin' on here -- heh, but it's mildly related discussion, so I'll try not to crab.

This afternoon, I spotted a Bell truck (with hydraulic boom, certainly in a dispatch class well above the minivan fleet) and an Avertex pickup parked in front of the ridiculous 2x4 propping up the F1 cable -- hopefully their site visit was a result of my unorthodox complaint to Bell's Damage Prevention Cost Recovery Centre. Fingers crossed that they can coordinate a repair better than the abysmally slow and dysfunctional clowns at Aecon.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by canaduh:

This afternoon, I spotted a Bell truck (with hydraulic boom, certainly in a dispatch class well above the minivan fleet) and an Avertex pickup parked in front of the ridiculous 2x4 propping up the F1 cable -- hopefully their site visit was a result of my unorthodox complaint to Bell's Damage Prevention Cost Recovery Centre. Fingers crossed that they can coordinate a repair better than the abysmally slow and dysfunctional clowns at Aecon.

Fantastic news on the repair... There are probably two ways to do it, tighten at each end (and create slack to deal with at the pole), or add a pole.

Tightening too much at each end of the pole to raise the line can create what is called a vector force.... the wider the angle between the anchor point and the pole, the greater the multiplication of forces on the anchor point (in this case, the attachment to the pole) In rope bridging, and other expedient actors, you are taught to never exceed 90 degrees... but the really big multiplication happens at 120 degrees and above.

At wide angles (high tension), you can actually multiply the weight of the line and cable many times creating stress on the pole.

In rope bridging we sometimes use a dynamiter mainly for theoretical stuff, and just to learn. A guy who might put 1 kilo-newton of force on the rope, might push put to 2 kN of force on an anchor point.

I don't know to what extent those guys are trained on that stuff, but likely linemen who are trained to climb do at least a little theory on it. Most stuff I see is boom truck, but on the military side of things, I have observed linemen climb fairly regularly.

A wooden pole without too many issues to install is usually about $1000.... but I might be a little dated in my cost suggestion.

As to the hijacking... sorry dude... I noticed some forms topics are pretty strict now.... I prefer a much more informal pub and drinks style of conversation in forums though, and just let the conversation go where it goes... I learnt something new about "pair gain", so I wouldn't call it a lost cause.
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to canaduh

to canaduh
Click for full size
This town has ALOT of fibre.
Click for full size
Old stuff... seems to be buried, and across the street, new stuff.
Click for full size
Tree on what looks like new lines
Click for full size
More trees on lines
Click for full size
Fallen pole (couldn't get a better shot as I didn't want to get run over... looks way worse going Eastbound)
Was down in Renfrew yesterday, and too a few pictures of the infrastructure along the way.

Renfrew seems to be pretty kitted out for Fibre, but I heard in the papers they did alot of work around there (coupled with a windstorm a few years ago that accelerated their plans).

Pictures of the trees on lines, there were quite a few more. One really big one was just short of the Country Kitchen in Cobden, but I couldn't get a shot of it.

I see this sort of stuff (fallen poles and trees on lines), from minor to major all the time in my areas along Hwy 17, 60, & 28. All of these issues are months old as well.

I am unsure if Renfrew is Bell, NRTC, or both... but I know many areas in Cobden are NRTC dominated. NRTC has been doing selective fibre roll outs in Petawawa, and previous dominated the rural DSL market in Cobden (for years they were superior to Bell in terms of rural coverage DSL)

I also got some shots of the wire maintenance issues. Some I couldn't take, as Hwy 17 past Arnprior is like the Hwy of Death to be pulled over on.... they are slowly taking it to Renfew for 4 lanes... but that's as far as they will be going.

canaduh
Kitchener, ON

canaduh to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
^^ Well, it's only a possible to-be-completed repair at this point; even though a guy in a Bell boom truck had a look at the site, all they did was wrap a single revolution of red barricade tape with black "BELL" lettering around one of the matchstick 50+ year old Bell-owned poles. What that's supposed to signify, I have no idea. AFAIC, they might as well have taken a Swiss army knife and carved their initials into the pole, as it still does nothing to fix the disrepair situation.

Pfew, you've gone the extra mile to explain some of the physics at play -- and I'd bet few of Bell's techs, let alone their oft-bungling contractors, have much of an understanding of forces and kinematics. If anyone at Bell had a bit of common sense, this problem in my neighbourhood would not have gone unnoticed. Consider that I've watched third-party contractors doing wooden pole inspection work for hydroelectric utilities, and they literally do it at a frenetic pace because they're foolishly rewarded for how quickly they get the job done, not how much attention to detail is given. I doubt many of those guys would be able to identify safety hazards with drooping aerial telco equipment (cables, etc.) since they consider their primary job to rap test for rotting wood poles. I've even watched them spray red X's on a whole row of old poles, leaving one in a uniform series as still in acceptable condition, even though anyone with half a brain can see they're all of the same decaying vintage -- and then the utility (not Bell, in that case) came along and replaced them all, overriding the bad piecemeal advice of the pole inspection crew. But Bell prefers to wait until their outside plant is beyond dilapidated before reacting; along Wellington Street here in Kitchener, for example, I noticed Bell replaced a number of old poles that they own, but then sprinkled along the same linear distribution line are a handful of decrepit poles they decided not to bother simultaneously replacing. They're cheapskates to the point of putting public safety at "calculated" risk. Sure, it probably costs $1000 for each pole replacement, but that's supposed to be in their longterm cost of doing business. Asset lifecycle management is what the bean counters would call it. Poles stamped circa 1955 have long outlived their structural integrity and need to be replaced. Waiting until one falls over, goes completely missing, and some handyman squeezes a couple 2x4s in its place, is completely irresponsible.
Anyway, I could go on at length -- the adjoining F2 cable on this street is completely separated from the steel messenger wire, and only remains in place by tangled vegetation overgrowth, but I digress. The "2x4" prop on the F1 cable was the most egregious issue.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

Click for full size
Is this 1957 or 1986
said by canaduh:

The "2x4" prop on the F1 cable was the most egregious issue.

I have two of those that I have seen within my area so far... no pictures. One is more dangerous than the other due to location. Both are naturally made though, so I guess your guy used up the last 2X4! LOL

As to the pole testers, and alot of those other guys, they wouldn't make it being supervised by me! LOL But then again, a supervisor of me probably wouldn't be impressed by what I would do to ensure it is done not just good enough, but better.

While I have built quite a few rope bridges for use by people, I rarely do it now (you gotta move up the ladder sometime).... I just get to tell people where I want it, and maybe do a final visual inspection if I feel like it. Many of the guys I trained in the past to do that stuff, and now I emphasize that I want to see speed of setup now along with safety.

I would also ensure any of my crew would be accountable for the inspections they did as well... if the company is going to be accountable for public safety, so are individual workers... and records can go back a LONG time and be archived for years!

I attached a picture of a pole marking just down the street from the jumble of wires coming from the ground in this thread. I assume this is 1957? Not quite 1955!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to canaduh

Premium Member

to canaduh
said by canaduh:

^^ Well, it's only a possible to-be-completed repair at this point; even though a guy in a Bell boom truck had a look at the site, all they did was wrap a single revolution of red barricade tape with black "BELL" lettering around one of the matchstick 50+ year old Bell-owned poles. What that's supposed to signify, I have no idea. AFAIC, they might as well have taken a Swiss army knife and carved their initials into the pole, as it still does nothing to fix the disrepair situation.

The red/orange pole band is used to mark poles have electrical issues and a yellow band is for structual issues with the pole.

So if they used a red band either they don't know the differeance between them or there was some foreign voltage on the support strand.

BingoRingo
join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC

BingoRingo to Yannick pilo

to Yannick pilo
said by Yannick pilo :

So since when does bell own the source... by circuit city , wireless wave and t-booth???

Wow you should read the news more often. Circuit City went out of business over 5 years ago.

breal1
@206.47.249.x

breal1

Anon

said by BingoRingo:

said by Yannick pilo :

So since when does bell own the source... by circuit city , wireless wave and t-booth???

Wow you should read the news more often. Circuit City went out of business over 5 years ago.

umm, this is canada we never had Circuit City here, we only have a store called "The Source... By Circuit City" instead, even though it has circuit city in the NAME, its not the same chain of store as Circuit city in the us of a, its a totally differnt store, it was the store that was once nown Radio Shacks. but yes its now called The Source By Circuit City.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

The "by Circuit City" was dropped several years ago after Bell bought the chain. It's just "The Source" now.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
Actually those stamps youve posted are to signify where 10' from the bottom of the pole is. General guideline for us is to only go up if at least 5 feet is in the ground. I don't believe the numbers represent the year the pole was installed, because i have seen brand new poles with similar numbers, but i do not recall what they represent.

As for the OP red indicates an electrical hazard. Hopefully for your sake, the cable tech that went out just ran out of yellow "structural" bands, otherwise you could be waiting awhile for hydro one to come out and fix up the electrical issue before Bell fixes the physical issue.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by btech805:

Actually those stamps youve posted are to signify where 10' from the bottom of the pole is. General guideline for us is to only go up if at least 5 feet is in the ground. I don't believe the numbers represent the year the pole was installed, because i have seen brand new poles with similar numbers, but i do not recall what they represent.

As for the OP red indicates an electrical hazard. Hopefully for your sake, the cable tech that went out just ran out of yellow "structural" bands, otherwise you could be waiting awhile for hydro one to come out and fix up the electrical issue before Bell fixes the physical issue.

I would be interested to find out if either is the date on the pole?? I sense 1986 is something... But is that they install date, or some sort of inspection date?

I have far newer poles on my street... Will take a look next time I am out for a walk.

You guys train much in lineman pole climbing? I havnt seen many techs doing that... Seems to be all boom truck and ladder now!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Click for full size
The nails labeled 5 & 7 are the year the pole was installed and the round tag with 1986 is an inspection tag.
JC_

JC_ to jumpingryan

Premium Member

to jumpingryan
said by jumpingryan:

You guys train much in lineman pole climbing? I havnt seen many techs doing that... Seems to be all boom truck and ladder now!

If you mean spurs, than yes there are techs that still use spurs but most use ladders and bucket trucks.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

The nails labeled 5 & 7 are the year the pole was installed and the round tag with 1986 is an inspection tag.

If it is 57.... almost 50 years... wonder when it is due for a replacement? I assume hydro is the main driver of the replacement?

Also, I take it they don't tag anymore for inspection? 1986 is a long time since the last inspection! LOL 28 years!

The poles farther along towards my place are much newer and taller.

canaduh
Kitchener, ON

canaduh to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

I don't believe the numbers represent the year the pole was installed, because i have seen brand new poles with similar numbers, but i do not recall what they represent.

Actually, they are supposed to represent the year of installation; when a broken pole in my neighbourhood was replaced earlier this year, the round "BT" number tags that were circa the 1950s on the old pole were replaced with identical '14' ones on the new pole, representing the year 2014.
said by btech805:

This particular aerial F1 cable does not share poles with any other utility, and is across the street from the local hydro company's lines, so I'd highly doubt there's stray voltage or some other inductive fault. There is, however, a concrete strain pole (where a span guy connects to a hydro pole on the other side of the street) that's in very close proximity to the Bell cable, but if anything, it's probably something they'd rather have the hydro utility sort out as far as safe clearances, even though it's certainly not an energized guy wire -- the hydro pole it supports was actually replaced itself, this past summer.
Amusingly, the pole they wrapped with the red tape is one of only two along this line that, unlike the others, have no date or ID markings whatsoever, and are extremely thin. The other one is beside a drainage ditch that, over time, has exposed its bogshoe/polekey -- another thing you'd think someone would notice since it leans towards the road, but whatever.
I know the local hydro utility can be abysmally slow to respond to certain issues, but you'd think if Bell made a safety complaint that it'd be somewhat of a high priority? [insert guffaws here, I suppose]
Unrelated to Bell's equipment, months ago, I actually reported severe spalling on one of their poles in a different part of the city, even seen on Google StreetView for crap sakes, and the engineer went out and staked it for replacement; since then, no corrective action as if it's been forgotten.
Late last week, I noticed these clowns installing some underground junction boxes akin to the kind of tubs that residential irrigation systems use to house the valve heads, on a nearby arterial road, likely for Rogers based on the yellow & white colour bands of the fibre bundles. They trenched conduits to a concrete utility pole where, among other services, the Bell F1 cable temporarily goes underground, and left the Bell cable precariously exposed at ground level; the steel U-channel cover that's supposed to protect it from ground-level damage is now loose. Oh well; at least that's not a public safety hazard.

Hey @jumpingryan -- does Google StreetView capture images of some of those neglected maintenance Bell distribution lines that you pictured? If so, please post links; I'm quite curious about the one broken pole you showed on a rural highway, of sorts, where stopping to take a photo isn't really safe. How long has the one with the broken tree leaning on it been ignored? The line I started this topic about actually has sections where overgrown trees have literally grafted around it!!
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by canaduh:

Hey @jumpingryan -- does Google StreetView capture images of some of those neglected maintenance Bell distribution lines that you pictured? If so, please post links; I'm quite curious about the one broken pole you showed on a rural highway, of sorts, where stopping to take a photo isn't really safe. How long has the one with the broken tree leaning on it been ignored? The line I started this topic about actually has sections where overgrown trees have literally grafted around it!!

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply.

Here is a google maps of the fallen pole location.

»goo.gl/maps/Dw3Zx

It has fallen alot more since the last Google Maps update in 2012. But the picture shows the droop further along... leading to the white structure and the picture below:

»goo.gl/maps/BDQVB

The farmer who uses the white structure has his own version of the homemade pole setup you have (you can make out the cut branch and "V" supporting the wire.

So in short, the drooping wire has been around since before 2012, but the pole was in better (but detonating condition)

I couldn't find the rest of the fallen trees on google street view, but that makes sense as these trees might have fallen during the microburst storm that hit the Ottawa valley area in 2013, or pretty much anytime after. The microburst is probably the cause of alot of the long standing issues.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/o ··· .1411563

One of the techs on here mentioned that areas like Calabogie (known for it's ski hill - near Arnprior) got their fibre upgrades (FTTN more than likely) accelerated big time due to the storm. It hit the area hard there, along with Petawawa in certain sections.

From driving around Renfrew and Arnprior, all their lines look neat and upgraded, and things seem awesome even in some really rural areas. While people may bash these cities a little to alot, they are actually quite nice, with a small town atmosphere and some great deals to be had on acreage... but with proximity to the big city shopping in Kanata within an hour or less.

That's why I don't get the hostility and perception against corporate profitability in some of the rural areas. They are above ground aerial in most cases, and the people generally only have one option for wireline service.... Bell. The wireless market is saturated with all kinds of low quality competition against Bell in many areas. Wireline almost always wins out in terms of quality.... if you build it, they will subscribe.

There are no cable companies to worry about in all kinds of areas. In many cases Bell has that neighbourhood locked up for decades in the rurals. While subscriber-ship may be lower than say a line of townhouses, they have the wet dream of a monopoly that the oil companies can only dream about. The install is generally easier, and people complain less about the disruption in work, or things like new poles.

Anyways, back to the weather/line damage.... Unfortunately, there wasn't enough damage on my line to get an upgrade.... but one can always be hopeful that the next storm takes out the jumble of copper I posted in the other picture, along with a few above ground load coils. There are trees in excess of 150 feet all along my road, ready to kill that old copper for good!!! LOL

I actually spotted a good potential picture I want to get eventually.... an example of Bell moving from what was predominately below ground lines, to aerial. It shows an old load coil "cone", and the lines running to it, and two fibre lines run above ground on it. A good example of what Bell will hopefully be doing to all the areas to push out their wireline coverage faster.

Fibre to the Pole or even node would suit me just fine in reality, but I suspect that when it does come for me, it will be Fibre to the Pole (due to the mess of the current copper lines right now on my run).

canaduh
Kitchener, ON

canaduh

^^ Wow, that's along the Trans-Canada Highway?! Disgusting.
The 2x4 prop near me used to have a homemade 'V' notch, too, but it was just a jigsawed piece of plywood attached at the top, and the weight of the distribution cable broke it, so now it's just a matter of time before the inept piece of carpentry falls over onto a pedestrian or vehicle.

Ahh, and here's a very timely local news brief worth a laugh: four Bell utility poles and one hydro pole fell down at Bloomingdale Road & Daniel Avenue at the Kitchener city limits, this morning -- just a light dusting of snow in Kitchener-Waterloo, no motor vehicle accident to blame, yet more dangerous Bell aerial outside plant comes crashing down on peoples' front lawns. No surprise to me.
Get a load of the pictures on the CTV Kitchener Twitter feed! Not a Bell truck in sight, but cops and hydro crews are rushed to the scene. One of the old timey Bell poles (shown with the foot pegs) is probably just fine, by Bell's standards -- I mean, it seems Bell doesn't even react when poles fall over, let alone lean precariously. If it wasn't for a single hydro pole snapping because of being mechanically coupled, for streetlight wiring, to Bell's decrepit poles, this incident would probably be totally ignored by Bell's don't-give-a-damn workforce. Coming soon to a neighbourhood near you: falling telephone poles!
There's a brief video clip about three minutes into the noonhour newscast, with even more disturbing images of damage and eyewitness "it just fell over on its own in a domino effect" accounts.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

Click for full size
Old and new.
said by canaduh:

^^ Wow, that's along the Trans-Canada Highway?! Disgusting.

It is visible on the trans Canada, yes... but I wouldn't be too hard to bash Bell yet. It is entirely possible that this is a NRTC line...

NRTC is quite common in Cobden, and they actually pushed internet to some pretty rural areas much before Bell. They also provide some FTTH services in Petawawa, and are expanding quicker than Bell in some areas. They have an exclusive FTTH neighbourhood here that is also reportedly quite well served with good quality service... although some people still prefer getting their TV from Bell via sat.
said by canaduh:

Ahh, and here's a very timely local news brief worth a laugh: four Bell utility poles and one hydro pole fell down at Bloomingdale Road & Daniel Avenue at the Kitchener city limits, this morning -- just a light dusting of snow in Kitchener-Waterloo, no motor vehicle accident to blame, yet more dangerous Bell aerial outside plant comes crashing down on peoples' front lawns. No surprise to me.

I don't necessarily blame Bell for the poles crashing.... they are victims of their subcontractors, as I don't even think Bell has installed a single pole in years under the company banner??? (I may be wrong on this).

But Bell are somewhat responsible for ensuring that low quality work isn't completed by subs.... they are the ones who are paying for the service, and should be part of the process of ensuring the work is done to a certain standard... they have to live with the quality of work.

--------

Was talking to my neighbour today about the jumble of lines at the end of the street. He is friends with the head cable guy for our area, and actually visited the site when they were doing work.

That work is apparently the result of an outage, although he said they had a spare running across that they tied into leaving that mess as their repair. They had a break in the cable close to the box.

I am slightly suspect (as is my neighbour) that we might be due within a year or two for line upgrades. Just about everywhere else around us (within KM's of the house) is now on fibre. Both streets parallel to us on on fibre.

The cable guy said the lines were really bad, with far too many splices all over the place.... very old stuff. It appears that they are onto their backup line buried under Hwy 17.

I know he doesn't decide on upgrades, but I would assume that his recommendations are taken into consideration.

Perhaps it will be part of a whole overlay onto the area from the CO in Petawawa (9.5 KM away line distance)

---------

I also grabbed a shot today blending the old and new on the street parallel to me. They did a recent fibre upgrade on Black Bay Road across Hwy 17.... the density per KM is actually quite alot less than upgrading my area.

I believe at the bottom is the old underground infastructure... and a load coil cone/box, and above ground is the new fibre laid via aerial. I am guessing they are abandoning the copper in the ground along with all the old stuff?

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to canaduh

Premium Member

to canaduh
I noticed that Story was by bell!
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by chip89:

I noticed that Story was by bell!

LOL, yes that is interesting... but i guess it can't be called the no-so-free press then!

There are all kinds of conspiracy theories on Bell controlling too much in both distribution and content... some might be true... but others are not necessarily even close.

Some organizations are just far too big to know what each finger is doing in-between the others.... and I wonder if Bell is one of them.