spc
Search similar:

uniqs

drose25
join:2001-06-12
Dallas, TX

drose25

ATA Recommendations?

I use Voip.ms for service with an Asterisk PBX and I'm porting out my home number to them from AT&T. I'd prefer a plain and simple ATA to handle the line at home.

I'm currently looking at an ATA from Obihai or Cisco, but I remember the PAP2 being a real pain. Any recommendations or advice in picking an ATA?
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

If you don't want an IP phone, I would recommend an Obihai.

I prefer my IP phone but also have an Obihai to feed the jacks in the house.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

1 recommendation

Ken1943 to drose25

to drose25
Stay away from Cisco. Obi 100 or Grandstream 701 I have both without problems.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Obi should be a good choice. Looks like there is good deal on Obi200 on Newegg: »slickdeals.net/f/7439653 ··· ping?v=1, which may be worth considering.

drose25
Dallas, TX

drose25

Thanks for the Newegg deal! That saves me ~$20 over Amazon and clinches the Obihai selection. I was reluctant to pick a Cisco adapter but wanted to hear some good things about Obihai first.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, guys.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Good choice!

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to drose25

Premium Member

to drose25
Yes, good choice. My Obi 100 is used with my alarm system to call out and it works great. My PAP2T wasn't as reliable used with the alarm.
DaveSin
join:2009-07-17

DaveSin

Did you have to do anything "special" to get your OBi100 to work with your Alarm System? If so, what changes did you make to make outgoing calls "Alarm Friendly"?

Is your Alarm System Monitored via a Central Station?

Who is your VOIP Provider?

What is the make and model number of your Alarm Panel (example, ADEMCO VISTA 20P)? Any additional information welcome.
said by garys_2k:

Yes, good choice. My Obi 100 is used with my alarm system to call out and it works great. My PAP2T wasn't as reliable used with the alarm.

giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to drose25

to drose25
I have a Cisco IP phone, Grandstream 701, Pap2na, router with a PAP2 built in, Obi110, Obi202, and a Obi1032 ip phone. Until the Obi line of devices came out I loved my PAP devices. Now that I have various Obi devices I find all of my other ATAs to be somewhat limited in what they can do. I was running a PBX on a Raspberry PI also but in the end I stopped using it because the Obis do most of what the PBX did.

My Obi1032 is the one I use the most but it's a complete overkill for home users. If I had to pick just one device it would probably be my Obi202. For those that don't need 2 independent phone jacks the Obi200 is a great choice. I would not buy an Obi100 unless it was a terrific deal. Obihai is updating the Obi100 and Obi110 with fixes but they don't seem to be adding new features to them. The Obi110 remains a great device for niche uses.

Long story but you made a great choice
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to DaveSin

to DaveSin
The Contact ID format (default on most recent alarms) is tough on an ATA. It's basically DTMF sent at 10 digits per second, which runs afoul of many talkoff reduction and relay schemes. If your panel and monitor station support it, switching to SIA format will likely solve the problem.

Otherwise, for Contact ID try inband DTMF and turning off any 'strict' settings. For SIA try setting a fixed long jitter buffer.

Settings changes to make the alarm work well may degrade voice quality. If possible dedicate a spare ATA port or a separate ATA to the alarm.

Many panels will accept a true IP reporting module. This provides "crash and smash protection", in addition to avoiding VoIP issues.

If your budget permits, get cellular backup.

After making any changes to your alarm system, even just tweaking an ATA setting, test the system thoroughly.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip

said by Stewart:

If your budget permits, get cellular backup.

For my alarm system I have only cellular connection, no need something else.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to drose25

Premium Member

to drose25
said by drose25:

I'm currently looking at an ATA from Obihai or Cisco, but I remember the PAP2 being a real pain. Any recommendations or advice in picking an ATA?

I have been using some unlocked (finally uncustomized by DogFace05) Linksys/Voange PAP2v1 units since /08/25/2005 and they are still working fine without any significant problems. Rencelty, I bought several BasicTalks from several local Walmart stores for less than $1/each and am also using one of them without a problem. I also recovered several defunct OBi1XX devices (sent to me by one of the members here). I had sent them to some people in 3rd world countries and they told me the OBi1XX device I sent to them works just fine.

These days, unless I can find a very inexpensive ATA devices, i.e. netTALK DUO WI-FI VoIP Gateway (FREE after a $30 rebate), I won't invest my money on any ATA devices. Instead, I would rather go for some inexpensive (used) IP Phones from ebay. OTOH, I have also looked into the feasibility of using an inexpensive (under $30) pre-paid Android smartphone as an IP WiFi phone. If the task of frequently charging an Android smartphone isn't an annoying to you, perhaps this may not be a bad idea. You can get several inexpensive pre-paid Android smartphones and configure them as extensions to your PBX. I am sure there may be some pros/cons going this route.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Was it recently that DogFace05 uncustomized your devices?

And what was the problem with the defunct OBi1s?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Mango:

Was it recently that DogFace05 uncustomized your devices?

Nope. I had several Linksys/Vonage PAP2v1 as some test beds for DogFace05 to uncustomized back in the early 2006, AFAICR. They have been working flawlessly.

And what was the problem with the defunct OBi1s?

Most of the problems had something to do with either the Phone/Line ports and required some electronic components replacement.

drose25
Dallas, TX

drose25

I have plenty Polycom and Snom IP phones that could be used, but the family prefers the traditional POTS-style service where they can all hop on the same line by just picking up the phone, so I'm going to use the ATA to provide jack service and keep life simple.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by drose25:

the family prefers the traditional POTS-style service where they can all hop on the same line by just picking up the phone

Yes, but if you do that straightforwardly, you lose the ability to make or answer an unrelated call, while another family member is on the phone. We have concurrent calls far more frequently than conferences, and I believe that's typical.

Perhaps you could set up a script on the PBX, so pressing a single key would barge into any call in progress.