Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

Signin required to access Technet KB article?

Click for full size
Trying to access last link there
Click for full size
Pale Moon page when trying to access TechNet article
Pale Moon 25.0.1 suddenly is saying I need to signin to Microsoft account to access a TechNet KB article. I can access the Security Bulletin for the KB but then if I click on the Technet KB article link in the KB, I get the Microsoft account signin page instead of the article and it has my email address exposed! It says I need to sign in because the information I want to access is of "sensitive nature". ??? I am on a secure Microsoft page but this is weird. I haven't signed in even though I have examined it carefully and it appears legit.

I then tried SeaMonkey 2.30 and I had no trouble accessing the TechNet KB article using the same link.

So, then I tried Firefox 24.8 ESR (next Tuesday I will finally be able to upgrade it to Fx 31.3, I think it is, when Mozilla turns internal upgrade back on for us) and Fx opened a tab that said I was using IE 6 and needed to upgrade. So, I bypassed Proxo and tried again to reach the TechNet article and got the Microsoft account login page like on Pale Moon.

On IE 10 (Win 8.0 Pro) since I did the recent cumulative IE update, if I click on IE Help I get a page saying I need to upgrade from IE 6 or 7. I got the same page when I tried to access the Technet KB article just now from IE 10. IE correctly identifies as IE 10 on other Microsoft website pages and it has the correct user agent string ....only technet seems to think it is IE 6.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

I had about 200 tabs open on four browsers and I can't recall the last time I rebooted. I also had Windows 10 Preview running on a Hyper-V virtual machine with IE 11 in Edge Mode and Fx 31 ESR with a bunch of tabs open. All this yet I was only using about 30% RAM.

I also had been logging into Microsoft Answers forum on both Pale Moon on Windows 8 Pro and Fx 31 ESR on Windows 10 Preview and posting in my thread there and some other threads.

I also had been clicking on the IE 10 Help button that sends me *since the last IE Cumulative Update) to a page at Microsoft claiming I need to update from IE6.

So, when Fx 24.8 ESR and Pale Moon 25.1.0 began acting so weird regarding accessing any TechNet article (especially when Fx instead of opening the TechNet article instead opened a tab saying I needed to upgrade from IE 6) I decided maybe there was memory corruption and Hyper-V running a beta of Windows wasn't helping matters.

So, I shut the Hyper-V machine completely down and then shut down all browsers on the host machine and rebooted. I then started Fx 24.8 ESR and declined to use Session Manager to load the previous session as I usually would. Instead, I opened a new window with one tab. I then proceeded to duplicate the steps that before the reboot had led to Fx opening a tab with a Microsoft message about the need to upgrade IE 6. This time I got the TechNet article page to open normally with no difficulty.

Next, I started Pale Moon and again only one tab and duplicated the steps that before rebooting had led to Pale Moon sending me to the Microsoft account login page instead of the TechNet article. This time the TechNet article opened with no problems.

So, what the heck happened earlier? Did Windows just get its panties in a wad because I had a virtual machine running with a beta version of Windows and a bunch of browsers running on the host each with lots of tabs open and no telling when I had last rebooted?

Or should I be running antimalware checks?

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

So, what the heck happened earlier? Did Windows just get its panties in a wad because I had a virtual machine running with a beta version of Windows and a bunch of browsers running on the host each with lots of tabs open and no telling when I had last rebooted?

This ^. When I start having odd problems on my Win 8 machine and Firefox, I know it's time to reboot - which is typically about every 6 weeks.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
- The sign-in bit is opt-in (unless something's busted) -

system will flag TechNet article as already posted
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 058.aspx
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I solved it earlier today. I seldom use IE partly because Justin hates it and has never made this site (where I spend the majority of my time) work right with IE. Plus, IE itself all these years still will not allow me to configure it to use Verdana Bold (or even regular Verdana) for the reply box here. Even IE 11 in Edge Mode on Win 10 Preview is basically unusable in the forums here as I can't read a tiny, none bolded weird font that IE restricts one to using for forum reply boxes. All other browsers let me choose from a very long list of fonts which IE does not for reply boxes.

On all my other browsers since I got cable broadband in 2001, I have Cache disabled....all cache not just disk but IE won't let you do that and I keep forgetting this. I had Microsoft sites listed in Compatibility view. That didn't cause problems (and was necessary when I got this Win 8 Pro machine two years ago) until this latest IE cumulative update. So, even though I removed Microsoft sites from Compatibility view when I started getting that live login box instead of the Microsoft support article, and I closed IE and even rebooted, I forgot about IE's cache and I didn't clear it as I have NO cache of any sort on my other browsers for many years and not clearing it turned out to be the problem.

Once I cleared the cache, cookies, cleared all but history, and rebooted the computer the problem was solved. Simple solution and no malware infection like the MVP over at Microsoft Answers kept insisting was what was wrong.

Our government should have forced Microsoft to do for us USA customers the same that EU forced for their customers. IE should not be heavily entwined into the OS as it is in this country. It's scary that IE is so entwined in the OS that when I was having this problem that FIREFOX and PALE MOON got "infected" by those IE compatibility settings that I had removed from IE but forgot about the cache and needing to clear it. It is fundamentally wrong that OTHER browsers would also be affected by the IE problem. That happened because my government allowed Microsoft to continue their monopoly regarding browsers. IE should be fully removable and NOT entwined deeply into the OS. Even IE 11 in Edge Mode (which is a big step for IE finally ditching Trident engine) still IE is deeply entwined in the OS everywhere except EU.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Only problem I see is if I go to the technet forum, then sign in, I get this:

The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

»social.technet.microsoft ··· egories/

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I cannot sign in to any of those sites with IE11 - regardless if I accept cookies and disable all TPL's installed. MS is aware but have done nothing to fix it.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Hmmm... Microsoft browser + inability to log in to Microsoft sites = going out of business plan

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Hmmm... Microsoft browser + inability to log in to Microsoft sites = going out of business plan

Don't tell us - tell MS. It's a known bug with IE11 and TPL's \ . /

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

said by Blackbird:

Don't tell us - tell MS. It's a known bug with IE11 and TPL's \ . /

Which is why it becomes a going-out-of-business plan. Any company that can't/won't/doesn't even vet their own products against their own public-facing portals is a company that simply has lost the fundamentals of doing business and will not long continue that way.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Front-facing webs should play well with MS's front-facing apps but I'd hate to point that out to an MS MVP on a private mail list and face the wrath of one as Mele20 See Profile did: »Re: Signin required to access Technet KB article?