spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rboris
join:2001-03-20
Brooklyn, NY

rboris

[Speed] speed 50/20 now 30/5 comcst: too bad

i have just installed fios 150/150, which is stable and works excellently.
legacy provider: comcast, which provided 50/20 for years at $75 p/m.
just in case, because i am totally dependent on access for work, i planned to keep comcast for a while just to see how FIOS does over several months.
BUT now my comcast speeds have degraded, for the last several months, to 30/5, which tech support says "is just what i am paying for."
they've made no effort to retain me.
any thoughts??
thanks.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

[Speed] Re: speed 50/20 now 30/5 comcst: too bad

Call Retentions. Threaten to cancel. The other departments on the phone are borderline useless.

Too bad the direct support forum here is dead, it was great.

Also, I thought Brooklyn was TW/Cablevision territory.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to rboris

to rboris
what tier are you subscribed to?

what are your levels?

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL

cHarley

Don't think I've ever seen a CC 50/20 offering.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I think that was the old offering Comcast Extreme 50

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

50 / 10..
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3 to rboris

to rboris
maybe 3 years ago they had a 50/15 package

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

said by videomatic3:

No.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

I think that was the old offering Comcast Extreme 50

yeah he was talking about Extreme 50 which was 50/15 sometimes got up to 20Mb/s Up maybe lol
Edit: Maybe he's need to upgrade his internet & pay more money for faster speeds.
videomatic3
Pleasanton, CA

1 recommendation

videomatic3 to Johkal

to Johkal
yes. i had the 50/15 tier for a while.
and i guess instead of saying maybe i meant approximately
so
approximately 3 years ago they had a 50/15 tier

Anno
@73.21.150.x

1 recommendation

Anno to Johkal

Anon

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

said by videomatic3:

No.

said by EG:

50 / 10..

Don't know why some of you are acting like 50/15 never existed?

It did over 2 years ago.. »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ba ··· /1263657

Now that this is getting OT.

OP, you need to call them again, confirm what package you are paying for. You may need to have the code updated on account if it's an old/legacy one.

Blast is now 50/10 or 105/10 depending on the area and is about 72.95 a month stand alone (creeping up in price).

The other option is Extreme which will now be 105/20 or 150/20 depending on area and it's about $99-$115ish a month standalone.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Anno :

Don't know why some of you are acting like 50/15 never existed?

Comcast slices and dices its various areas of control, and attempts to keep them in silos.

This allows Comcast to provide services in one region (for competitive reasons), that it does not have to provide in other areas.

Think of how much more awesome this concept will be when Comcast controls so much more of the broadband market space.....

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick to videomatic3

Premium Member

to videomatic3
said by videomatic3:

yes. i had the 50/15 tier for a while.
and i guess instead of saying maybe i meant approximately
so
approximately 3 years ago they had a 50/15 tier

So when you had Extreme 50 it's was $100 a month, I know because I used to have it... Any reason why you don't have Extreme 105?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to Anno

MVM

to Anno
Yes, it was available earlier than 3 years as you said "2". Just being picky. Sorry.
rboris
join:2001-03-20
Brooklyn, NY

rboris to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
this is for a weekend cabin in upstaste ny.

Robyn
@69.180.78.x

Robyn

Anon

We had a package called "Blast" that had 50 down and I forget how many up. It too started to act up a few weeks back - and the "down" degraded to about 20-25. I don't have a clue why (we've never had FIOS). In any event - we took advantage of a new package on a 1 year promo deal that gave us 100+ down and upgraded the service. Wound up paying about the same as we had been paying before.

So - I would recommend that the OP get a new package. Or - since he/she is only using CC as an emergency backup now in what is probably a somewhat rural/remote area - he/she might explore a super cheap dial-up option - assuming he/she has the equipment to support it. Dial-up is better than nothing in a real emergency. Robyn

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to rboris

Premium Member

to rboris

Re: [Speed] speed 50/20 now 30/5 comcst: too bad

said by rboris:

any thoughts??

If I had access to fios 150/150, I'd take it too?

Congrats. Enjoy it!

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

I can walk to the VZ CO that has the equipment for FIOS (GPON OLT's) in it, but VZ refuses to build out in my town - they are building out to rural areas and subdivisions outside of town instead.

The worst part is I have Bell Atlantic fiber in my back yard doing nothing....thanks VZ!

Comcast will be happy to know that they are ensured $120 a month from me for eternity until VZ gets its shit together. 3mbit trashbag DSL or HFC cable is no contest.

OP, your lucky.

Robyn
@69.180.78.x

Robyn

Anon

I think one of the FIOS problems- at least where I live - is that Verizon has partnered with Comcast to provide wireless phone service. So I don't think I'll be seeing Verizon competing with Comcast anytime in the near future. We do have AT&T - but no UVerse yet. Our only fiberoptic cable is the one Comcast currently uses. It was installed by Mediaone (subsequently acquired by Comcast) back in around 1995 or so.

As far as I've noticed - even when you have 2 carriers competing - it doesn't do much to get prices lower. What I think will make a difference in the future is more customers cutting tv and phone cords. So I think we'll see more competition when it comes to double and triple play packages. Robyn

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to Anno

to Anno

Re: [Speed] Re: speed 50/20 now 30/5 comcst: too bad

Starting 1-1-15 Stand alone blast 50/10 is going up here to 78.95 a month what a rip.

Annon
@73.21.150.x

Annon

Anon

said by Jim721:

Starting 1-1-15 Stand alone blast 50/10 is going up here to 78.95 a month what a rip.

But but we have doubled download speeds free!!! Oh wait, not in your market yet?? too bad, pay up!

That said, historically I would have said easy solution. They double speeds and raise cost, downgrade to the next plan down that gives old speeds back at cheaper rate. Problem with this is they aren't raising upload speeds this round, just download :/

The cost of BW is going down, but our rates keep going up. They use all the excuses they want but how can providers do Fiber for ~80 a month with gig connection which has a costly build-out, when most of the COAX cable today was put down many years ago and old and beyond paid for itself?
videomatic3
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to iNick

to iNick
said by iNick:

Any reason why you don't have Extreme 105?

extreme 105? yuck why settle for that when you can get better

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

Call Retentions. Threaten to cancel. The other departments on the phone are borderline useless.

This is what I do to get retentions. I recommend you try the same:

When I call, I first get those options where I have to speak into the phone and say what I want. When that happens, I just mumble some nonsense and as a result, I get the options to press my keypad instead of speaking. I then go through the options until I get the one to downgrade or cancel my service. I believe that then takes me to the retentions department.
Expand your moderator at work

iNick
Premium Member
Joliet, IL

iNick to videomatic3

Premium Member

to videomatic3

Re: [Speed] Re: speed 50/20 now 30/5 comcst: too bad

said by videomatic3:

said by iNick:

Any reason why you don't have Extreme 105?

extreme 105? yuck why settle for that when you can get better

why settle? SMH where can I get better? IF Comcast won't give me the free upgrade to Extreme 150 because they don't offer it here.