spc
Search similar:

uniqs
notfred
join:2012-09-15

1 recommendation

notfred

[DSL] IPv6 routing issue

Just rebuilt my server today and ran in to this issue. The global /64 that is assigned on the PPPoE connection with a Router Advertisement only routes for an SLAAC address and not for any other address within that /64 i.e. privacy extension addresses don't work for the PPPoE link.

E.g. Link local assigned by IPv6CP is fe80::cd9b:7501:a148:4dec so my SLAAC is 2607:f2c0:a000:xxx:cd9b:7501:a148:4dec and this works for global connectivity. However if I do a privacy extension address on the same interface of 2607:f2c0:a000:xxx:f0b4:ff23:d247:f914 then that doesn't get routed properly. I can ping6 to google.com and switch the two source addresses (-I option on Linux). The SLAAC source address gets ping replies but the privacy extension source address sends the packets out and doesn't get replies.

Gabe, can you go kick the routers please?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

1 recommendation

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Thanks, that's good feedback but I don't think this is something I can fix overnight. Unless you are saying that this was working previously? in any case I haven't changed anything on my end.
notfred
join:2012-09-15

1 recommendation

notfred

I don't know if it worked before. I upgraded OS's on my server, it could be that the old one (Debian 7 Wheezy) didn't do privacy addresses on the PPP links by default whilst the new one (Ubuntu 14.04 trusty) does.

No worries on speed of fix, I just turned off the privacy extensions and it all works for me. I recognise you may even have to go to the router manufacturer and beat them up for a fix, hence the smiley.
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

1 recommendation

henry128

Hm, I'm seeing this behaviour too. I'm fairly sure it used to work some time in the (possibly distant) past.

It now seems to behave as though we're being assigned a single /128 rather than a /64. My guess is that the router is configured to route only the one address where the interface identifier matches the one negotiated over IPv6CP, rather than routing the entire /64.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

kragop to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Gabe, when iPV6 is fully launched (activated), will there be a notification email sent to users? so that they know to turn this feature on.

v6movement
@135.23.225.x

v6movement to TSI Gabe

Anon

to TSI Gabe
Any particular reason TSI does not have v6 BGP sessions up with Cogent and GTT?