spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SH
@50.5.140.x

SH

Anon

Dropping wifi

For several months now we have been unable to stream a movie from Amazon/Netflix etc to a wifi/internet ready TV. An average movie drops out maybe 5-10 times. I have had people out a couple of times but they seem to think all is OK. Or they suggest hooking up a device to the router via a cable which defeats the whole purpose of wifi. The last guy to come out recommended I bought a 'range extender' which I have - but the speed coming via the range extender is highly variable and right now 1 mbps. I suspect it is a faulty router. I wonder if changing the router channel might help? If so, how do I select the best channel number? Thanks

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

Get a program called inSSIDer (free version here: »www.techspot.com/downloa ··· der.html ). It's best used with a laptop or other portable device (tablet, phone, etc).

It constantly scans for wireless access point signals. You can walk around your home and check your wireless signal strength. You can also see what channels other people are using for their wireless and you can pick one that you don't see. Good luck. Hopefully it's just some interference that you can mitigate.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to SH

Premium Member

to SH
Replacement router that does dual ban also might be an option. 5GHz is less crowded. Shorter range however and you must make sure all your equipment can use 5ghz band.

I was figuring I would have to migrate some of my hardware over to 5. Laptop didn't get a good signal in bedroom. I am in very crowded 2.4 area. Replaced my dlink 655 with Asus ac-68 laptop has no trouble connecting to it now. Now my hardware is split between 2.4 and 5.

Another option I have very good results with are Homeplug »www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-P ··· homeplug

Only tested netflix streaming for short time with them but it worked perfectly. From other reviews these things either work perfectly or are useless.