uniqs
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Case recommendations for NAS

Thinking about building my own NAS unit based on FreeNAS.

I'm looking for a case that will hold up to six 3.5" drives and two flash drives.
The case needs to be quiet.
I can live with a single power supply but I might want the option of dual power supplies .

Any case suggestions.
Thanks
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Six 3.5" drives can be done by virtually any case, either through internal bays or using 5.25" bays via hot swap adapters. That's not difficult to achieve. When you say flash drives do you mean SSD or USB? I assume SSD which means you need either more 3.5" bays or 2.5" bays. That does add a little more complexity but not much. Being quiet is mostly dependent on fan choices so again, that's not hard to do (you're likely going to need to replace the fans on whatever you get). Honestly, the optional second power supply is going to be your biggest obstacle.

What kind of budget do you have for this, do you want the drive bays to be internal cabled or hot swap, and do you want it to be a tower setup or rack?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

I meant to say SSD. Thanks for clarifying.

Budgetwise, I was considering using Synology before re-thinking about FreeNAS and ZFS2 as a preferred solution. So that puts the hardware excluding drives in around $600-800+ (expecting that for a similar number of drive capacity I should come in a bit less expensive than Synology).

I'd prefer hot swap drives, but it isn't essential - this is for home use. Tower is fine, but so is a racked unit. Depending on the mix of features and 'value for dollar' I could go all the way to hot swap/racked.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Depending on your needs for hot-swapping, this is a nice case for the money: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11352027

There is also this: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11112265

which you can combine with this

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -Product

for a hot-swap solution should you desire.

Depending on your needs for 5.25" bays, I recommend these two:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11219024

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11219043

Remember that with a "DIY" solution, you can always add an SAS expander onto an external HBA or RAID controller for more drives.