Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

[Tech] Article: Top Five Best Custom PC Builders

Building from scratch is as simple as building with LEGOs, but it's not for everyone. With that in mind, I provide the following article.

Bottom line up front, the top five in the article:
• Puget Systems
• Falcon Northwest
• Digital Storm
• Origin PC
• eCollegePC.com
said by Lifehacker :

Five Best Custom PC Builders

We're all for building your own computer. We've shown you how and given you some builds. However, if you're looking for a rig that's high-end but also comes with perks like support, a warranty, and your supervision but not your time and troubleshooting, we have five custom PC builders that'll build that rig for you—based on your nominations.

Earlier in the week we asked you to tell us which custom PC builders do it right—high-end components, great customer support, great build options and customization choices, and of course, options for various budgets. You weighed in with some great suggestions, and now, in no particular order, are your top five.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

I went to Origin PC and played around with numbers for a little bit. I tried to go with a "mid-range" system, and ended up at nearly 3k.

My next PC is going to be a custom built, no doubt. Would you think that I could spend half as much and get the same PC? I went with an AMD processor, 16 gigs of RAM, a 290x (from your constant touting), a 1TB HD with a 160GB SSD.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I just messed around on Digital Storm and Origin with a couple "mid range" builds.

They came out to ~$3500.

i5 4690K
Dual GTX 970's
500gb SSD
2TB Western Digital Black
16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz RAM
Corsair H110

Plugging the same parts into PC Parts Picker, I built the same exact system for ~$2500. So, it looks like not building yourself will cost you anywhere from $1000 and up depending on what accessories you pay for.

For some, the warranty and customer support might be the worth the premium. The problem though, is that these companies give you a 2 year warranty. Building yourself, you'll net upwards of 5 years on most parts you purchase.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

That's midrange??

Fuck

i_opener_0
Geraldo's Mustache
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Richmond, VA

i_opener_0

Premium Member

I would classify it as high end for gaming just because of the 970 SLI, and above that i would call "cutting-edge" ^^

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I'm not done reading the article but what about XoticPC and IBuy/Cyberpower? Seems like they would be just as good and much more affordable.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Hell if you're not planning on a triple monitor setup or doing 4k, You can build a system for under a grand that can run anything at max. The money saved can then be used to upgrade the graphics card and possibly throw in a bigger SSD, or some more RAM a year or two down the line.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
said by Koil:

That's midrange??

Fuck

Yeah, that would probably be mid range. They've got some X99 water cooled systems on there from $5000-8000.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Ok, but mid-range relative to what? That's mid range for the top 1% maybe...for the general pop, I'd have to think (hope) that that is, as dude said earlier, top of the line / bleeding edge.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Koil:

Ok, but mid-range relative to what?

According to the builds on their site.

Mid range in the real world though, would probably be about an $800 build.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Problem is that by focusing on the premium builders, oriented toward extreme builds, it exaggerates the price differences and makes building your own seem like the only possible choice for people who don't have a lot of money to throw around. If you price a more reasonable but serious gaming build at somewhere like cyberpower the difference in price with buying and building your own isn't nearly so extreme. Sales such as on black friday can reduce the difference even further. So people don't need to feel that you have to be affluent to be able to avoid building yourself.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

4 edits

IamGimli (banned) to Savious

to Savious
said by Savious:

Would you think that I could spend half as much and get the same PC?

I just spent $1750 (Canadian, without monitor) on my last build and it's a beast of a gamer's box. The only thing it may need in the future is a second GTX 970 but I have no need for it at this point.

i7-4790
Corsair H80i water cooler
MSI Z97-G45 MB
16gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance Pro
500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD (being upgraded to 1TB due to black Friday sale)
MSI GTX 970 OC
SB z
Corsair Graphite 230T case
Corsair CS650M PSU
Couple extra case fans

There's absolutely no bottleneck at all. Maybe not "the same PC" but I don't think you'd see any difference in how it runs if you go single monitor. I run my second monitor off the integrated Intel GPU as a general purpose screen while playing (email, temp/system monitoring, etc.).

Edited to add system config.

Bagnon
Snoogans
join:2000-11-19
Hamilton, ON

Bagnon to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
NCIX.com has a nice PC builder utility. pcpartpicker is also pretty decent. pcpartpicker should be used for price comparison only though.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The article was looking at companies that literally build the PC for you (pre-builts), not component finders.

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious to Bagnon

Premium Member

to Bagnon
What is up with your avatar?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Savious:

What is up with your avatar?

It's just your wife and her best friend.

What's up with your username?

Savious
Premium Member
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Blockfire coined it in the Star Citizen thread. I think he was trying to burn me, but I actually really like it.

Ive been using this handle since 2009, and its being taken by posers in games now. So, since I am the original Savious, patient zero, etc... Im embracing it.

I wasnt aware that your wife and my wife were friends. High five!