dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
deezdrama
join:2014-08-23

deezdrama

Conectivity issues for years- My girlfriends phone????

I have comcast cable internet and for years been getting randam connectivity issues where my internet connection will cut in and out randomly- sometimes it reconnects shortly after and sometimes I will have to power cycle my modem and router to regain connection.

At first I thought it was the coax lines to had comcast run new lines from the pole to my house, and from the junction box to my upstairs bedroom where it connects directly to my modem. I dont have cable tv so there is no splitters ran, im using a grounded double female "F" coupler at the junction box - so there is no signal reduction from redundant splitters.

When I first started having the problem I thought it was because of my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem so bought a docsys 3.0 zoom 5341j modem and new linksys router.

Still having issues loses connection. Some days I never have a problem- even with 2 tv's watching netflix and me on the PC playing an online game. Then- other days its just constant frustration.

Well last night I might of pinpointed it down.... to a phone!?!?!
Is that even possible??
So, my girlfriend was at work- and allday I had no issues at all with the internet connection, then my girlfriend gets home and BAM, connection lost.
My girlfriend is on here phone and complains the internet is out and so turns the wifi on her phone off.
I get the internet stable and she starts watching netflix then she turns the wifi back on -on her phone and instantly the internet connection goes out.
I have her turn her wifi off and reset the modem and router again and we wait about 30 min and I tell her to turn her phones wifi on- and again- instantly the connection drops.

So does anyone have any ideas? Is this software related?
Should I flash new firmware on modem?
Any help is appreciated

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

Lets see you have replaced both your modem and router with no change in the problem and it only occurs when her phone is switched over to WiFi...

One thought is to have someone visit your place with a WiFi capable phone and see what happens when they try.

Another thought is to see what traffic her phone is sending during the time things go to crap. Possibly her phone is streaming something from a virus infestation that only shows up on WiFi.

Check out what security your router and her phone are using when the connection is active. If possible use WPA2 with AES for wireless security and see if that changes anything.

I have not heard of any random MAC address blocking issues but verify you have that feature disabled or her MAC address is not listed in any way other than on the status page.

Even possible her phone is sending out non-standard WiFi due to a defect or something. Does her phone work using WiFi at other locations with out problems?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to deezdrama

MVM

to deezdrama
What model is the Linksys router?

It may be the the phone is not playing nice with grabbing an IP from the pool & is hanging onto an IP like it was static. You may have 2 devices fighting over an IP. You can set static IPs for all those devices and see if that works.