Search similar:

uniqs
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Upstream higher than Downstream?

Use the following speedtest, while looking at the NIC properties in Windows Task Manager. It produces a more accurate reading of the speed.....

»my.verizon.com/services/ ··· eedtest/

After everyone was set to Symetrical, I was at 60/60 (using this very method for testing), now it seems that I'm higher in the Upstream. ---Anyone else?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

This is sometimes the side effect of buffering. If your upload test completes sooner but your network gear still reports transfers after your PC has completed them, then that is why. The upload being faster is always a possibility, though!
morio
join:2014-11-29

2 recommendations

morio to batsona

to batsona
said by batsona:

After everyone was set to Symetrical, I was at 60/60 (using this very method for testing), now it seems that I'm higher in the Upstream. ---Anyone else?

I see the same thing. The most likely cause is the inbound peering saturation Verizon seems to be experiencing right now. Packet paths are often asymmetrical, so if Netflix et. al. are saturating peering points for data inbound to Verizon customers, it doesn't mean the peering points for traffic outbound from Verizon customers to other networks are also saturated.

Be thankful you can pull 55 Mbit/s inbound—here in Pittsburgh, I have 50/50 service, and the congestion is so bad, I can't even pull 20 Mbit/s from most sites right now. I can still hit 65 Mbit/s outbound, though—even though I only have 50/50 service!

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
On all symmetric tiers, upload is provisioned higher than download, and both are over the stated mps rate, has nothing to do with anything posted in this thead.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by guppy_fish:

On all symmetric tiers, upload is provisioned higher than download, and both are over the stated mps rate, has nothing to do with anything posted in this thead.

+1

My 300/300 is around 305 down but 340 up. Since they have went 'symmetrical' almost all speed tests I see are slightly higher on the upstream than the downstream.

In my case both have always been over-provisioned but upstream is more over-provisioned than downstream.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by houkouonchi:

said by guppy_fish:

+1

My 300/300 is around 305 down but 340 up. Since they have went 'symmetrical' almost all speed tests I see are slightly higher on the upstream than the downstream.

In my case both have always been over-provisioned but upstream is more over-provisioned than downstream.

Yes the same here. I'm on the 75/75 tier and I get 84 down and 92 up.