spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Onaran
join:2012-11-10
Oakland, CA

Onaran

[XP] Static IP to DHCP switching

Been reading directions for switching from static IP address to DHCP addressing in the book 'Mastering Windows XP Professional'. It looks complicated and time consuming, so I am wondering if there is an easier way? Maybe some sort of hardware or software that make it easy to switch between static and dynamic addressing? I prefer DHCP, but it appears I will occasionally need to use static IP for VPNs and proxies, hence the reason for this question.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

1 recommendation

LittleBill

i do have DHCP,

with DHCP reservation via my router, thus all my static stuff is in one place

i also change my scopes. instead of a 192.168.1-254 i usually start at around .20, and keep all my reservations below that and increment as i add new ones

pretty easy for me, depends on how many computers your talking about though

phantasm11b
Premium Member
join:2007-11-02

phantasm11b to Onaran

Premium Member

to Onaran
Is this for an enterprise environment or for the home? Most consumer grade routers have DHCP servers built in. If you're working in an enterprise environment then you'll need some kind of IPAM solution. Whether you run DHCP on a Cisco router (not recomended for most enterprise and branch solutions), purchase an IPAM appliance such as Infoblox or run a DHCP server in Linux or Windows.

You can use DHCP reservation to reserve specific IP's for specific hosts (MAC reservations). In most cases, proxies, VPN endpoints, and PTP links on routers will have statically defined IP addresses.

In the enterprise, you can't get around using static IP's and DHCP. Both are used in conjunction with each other.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Onaran

MVM

to Onaran
Servers and Printers should have a statically assigned IP address. DHCP makes workstation IP management much easier. If you want a specific station to always have the same address, you can assign a DHCP reservation in the router.

Switching between Static and DHCP on a single station is simple and only takes a few minutes. You do need to make sure you fill in the addresses and mask correctly, with a non-conflicting IP, or you will have connection problems.

You do not need a static IP on a workstation to connect to a VPN or a proxy. Is there something specific you are trying to accomplish?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Onaran

MVM

to Onaran
said by Onaran:

It looks complicated and time consuming, so I am wondering if there is an easier way?

...I'd hardly call a few mouseclicks in Network Properties "complicated" and "time consuming."
I'm curious exactly what environment you're in that you need to switch between static and dynamic for the reasons you listed...

My 00000010bits

Regards

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

said by Onaran:

It looks complicated and time consuming, so I am wondering if there is an easier way?

...I'd hardly call a few mouseclicks in Network Properties "complicated" and "time consuming."
I'm curious exactly what environment you're in that you need to switch between static and dynamic for the reasons you listed...

My 00000010bits

Regards

I agree with this. Usually, DHCP is much easier. Even in the home, most systems default to DHCP so your most time consuming thing would be to set each system from Static back to DHCP.

I will wait to hear back from you as to what environment you have.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to Onaran

to Onaran
Once you go DHCP you never go back!
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Onaran

Premium Member

to Onaran
I used to set every PC in the house to a static IP, from the network settings page in Windows. Then I had to change my subnet so that my subnet (192.168.1.x) didn't conflict with customer subnets that used the same range. Going around and changing every single system was a task I didn't cherish! So I set them all to DHCP and assigned static IP's in the router. Now I can assign/change IP's on the whole LAN from one interface. Now all the desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, networked printers, HTPC, etc. are easy to manage.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

yeah, no kidding

this is probably one of the easiest networking items you'll come across

set everything to DHCP, set static ip outside the dhcp range. done