spc
Search similar:

uniqs
salguod
join:2013-02-17
Columbus, OH

salguod

Accessing My Personal Router With UltraTV

I have my own Linksys E3000 router set up with my WOW UltraTV. I'd like to access my LinkSys router's settings, but I can't figure out how to get into it. When it was all I had, I used 192.168.1.1, but that doesn't work. How to access my router's settings?
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

How are you using it. The Ultra TV has to be your router so you either have to run anything else as an access point only or you split your network.
salguod
Columbus, OH

salguod

Sorry, I wasn't real specific.

I've got one of the 1-4 ports of the E3000 plugged into one of the 1-4 ports on the gateway so it acts as an extension of my network. I'm only using the E3000 for wireless, I had WOW shut down the wireless on the gateway.
chitown7777
join:2012-06-25
Naperville, IL

chitown7777 to salguod

to salguod
Friendly advice: just dump UltraTV. It doesn't play nice with any but the most Mickey Mouse of home network setups. The built in router is a piece of garbage.

WOW_James
Premium Member
join:2014-12-04
Woodland, GA

WOW_James to salguod

Premium Member

to salguod
salguod,
This is just shooting in the dark, but if your Ultra gateway is 192.168.1.1 and your Linksys is as well, you have some conflicts going on.
If this is the case you may want to disconnect your Ultra box and change the IP of your Linksys to something else in the same range and then re-connect the Ultra box. Then you can access the Lynksys on its new IP and your ultra gateway can continue to be your gateway at 192.168.1.1.

What is the IP that DHCP has given your PC? is it in that subnet?

Thanks
James
salguod
Columbus, OH

salguod

192.168.1.1 is the address I used with the Linksys before, the gateway is 192.168.0.1.
said by WOW_James:

What is the IP that DHCP has given your PC? is it in that subnet?

Um, I don't know. :-P Walk me through where to find it and I'll tell you.

WOW_James
Premium Member
join:2014-12-04
Woodland, GA

2 recommendations

WOW_James

Premium Member

salgoud,
»kb.iu.edu/d/aapa

These seam to be decent instructions to find the IP.

But if your new gateway is 192.168.0.1 and your linksys is 192.168.1.1, it would seam that you are simply in the wrong subnet to be able to access the linksys box.

The easiest thing to do would be to change the Linksys IP to something like 192.168.0.254 (Well out of the DHCP range that should be handed out unless you have a LOT of PCs and servers)

Once the Linksys has been re-IPed to that or a similar address, you will most likely be able to access it via the new IP while the ultra box is your 192.168.0.1 gateway.

Unfortunately I dont have any good instructions on re-IPing the Linksys box... But thats what I would do to solve your problem.

Thanks
James
corinthos
join:2007-10-09

corinthos to salguod

to salguod
Tried routerlogin.net? that is how I get to my netgear that is hooked up to my ultra tv.
salguod
Columbus, OH

salguod

That seems to be a feature built into Netgear routers, it won't work for other companies. Neat idea, but doesn't help me.

See here.
barakandl
join:2005-01-30
Columbus, OH

barakandl to salguod

to salguod
With a PC.

Plug only the PC into the router you want to use. Navigate your web browser to your router address page. Whatever it may be.

Change the router IP address to something unique. Ultra TV is 192.168.0.1, so use 192.168.0.254
Turn Off DHCP
Turn on your wireless. Set the encryption, name, and password.
There is usually a setting that says "Use as access point' enable that.

Run an ethernet cord from the Ultra TV box to your other router you just setup. Plug the ethernet cord into a standard router port. Not the WAN port.

Now your Ultra TV box will still do the routing, but you can use the stronger wireless signal from the router.
salguod
Columbus, OH

salguod

said by barakandl:

Navigate your web browser to your router address page. Whatever it may be.

This is the problem, I don't know what that address is.

I have the router & ultra TV connected as you described. It generally works, but I've had some issues with random, brief times of no internet. They only last a couple of minutes but are frustrating. I wanted to go in and verify the settings on the Linksys, but I can't figure out how to access it.

I did as you indicated, unplugged the cable from the Ultra TV and connected my new laptop to the Linksys router. I tried 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 and neither gave me access to the router. I have no idea how to access it and can't figure out what IP will give me access.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm to salguod

to salguod
said by salguod:

I have my own Linksys E3000 router set up with my WOW UltraTV. I'd like to access my LinkSys router's settings, but I can't figure out how to get into it. When it was all I had, I used 192.168.1.1, but that doesn't work. How to access my router's settings?

One, you shouldn't waste time trying to make an E3000 work with UltraTV. The UltraTV setup is designed to screw over and impede proper networks, simple as that. It cannot be configured in such a way as to not screw you over. Calling UltraTV a router is stretching the definition to the breaking point.

Two, the E3000's default behavior is incredibly stupid. Because the UltraTV insists on being a DHCP server, it's pulling an IP from the UltraTV and not using the default address. Again: it's designed to screw over and impede. Even though it is in fact, fully capable of operating as a straight bridge and not wrecking everything. So you're gonna have to go through and figure out what the hell IP address the UltraTV handed out to the E3000.

The E3000 will not go back to 192.168.1.1 without a full factory reset if it completes DHCP. Even after the lease expires. (And the UltraTV gives stupid and flat out wrong leases.) Yes this is broken behavior on both ends.
salguod
Columbus, OH

salguod

So you're saying I'll need to factory reset my E3000 in order to get into it? I wanted to use it for better, faster more reliable wireless. The Ultra TV wireless seemed stuck on wireless G speeds.

Am I fighting a losing battle? Should I just go back to the UltraTV wireless?

Regarding my dropped internet, a WOW tech seemed to think that I need to set a fixed channel on the Linksys. I'm dubious that's going to change anything, but I wanted to give it a try. I did get an error from my wireless printer (Epson) during setup that my wireless was using a channel that may not work with my printer, but it does.
said by RootWyrm:

So you're gonna have to go through and figure out what the hell IP address the UltraTV handed out to the E3000.

OK, but how? I've looked at the DHCP page in the UltraTV and tried the two ip addresses that aren't my computers, the WOW boxes or our phones & tablets. No luck.
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

If you plug the LAN side of your router to the LAN side of the ultra gateway, you should be able to assign it an IP in the same subnet but above or below the range you configured the ultra dhcp to give out. Then turn off the external router's own dhcp and the ultra box's wifi. If you've done that but don't remember the address, you'll probably have to do a reset to get it back to the defaults and directly connect a PC to start over. When you assign the IP, be sure it is on the LAN side, not the unused WAN interface.