Search similar:

uniqs
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to advocate99

to advocate99

Re: Good SIP phone?

said by advocate99:

The UI on the Siemens cordless phones was just too slow and kludgy. I like the old analog phones and the Obi 100 much better.

Analog faster?
If you call via contacts, redial, speed dial, or on-hook dialing, an analog phone introduces an additional ~2 second delay while it waits for dial tone and sends DTMF.
On an incoming call, analog has a ~3 second delay before caller ID is shown.
MasterBash
join:2001-08-06
Montreal, QC

1 edit

MasterBash

Is there an explanation for this? digital doesnt have this issue? I dont think I have a 3sec delay on the caller id.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

I have a wireline phone here and I can vouch for what Stewart says. AFAIK analogue is specifically designed for stoners.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

said by Ole Juul:

I have a wireline phone here and I can vouch for what Stewart says. AFAIK analogue is specifically designed for stoners.

Jeesh... advocate99 simply said his Siemens' user interface is slow and kludgy, and he likes his old phone setup much better (the OBi user interface is much better than the Siemens'). He did not suggest that 'analog' is faster than 'digital'.

And analog is not designed for stoners... now you know.

OE
tbrummell2
join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

tbrummell2 to Stewart

to Stewart
said by Stewart:

said by MasterBash:

Is there an explanation for this?

Yes, on an analog POTS line, CID is sent in a burst between rings 1 and 2, that's where your delay is. If you had a butt set monitoring the line, you can actually hear the burst of data come across the line.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by tbrummell2:

said by Stewart:

said by MasterBash:

Is there an explanation for this?

Yes, on an analog POTS line, CID is sent in a burst between rings 1 and 2, that's where your delay is. If you had a butt set monitoring the line, you can actually hear the burst of data come across the line.

You just got me curious. Have you done this? Any special hardware did you use or just a wiretap with a buzzer?

biotech
@66.249.113.x

biotech

Anon

said by mazilo:

Any special hardware did you use or just a wiretap with a buzzer?

I have and I just used an in-line telephone recorder (see this from Amazon:»www.amazon.com/RadioShac ··· recorder) connected to the PC.

Don't forget Call Waiting ID as well.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by biotech :

said by mazilo:

Any special hardware did you use or just a wiretap with a buzzer?

I have and I just used an in-line telephone recorder (see this from Amazon:»www.amazon.com/RadioShac ··· recorder) connected to the PC.

What type of interface, i.e. serial, USB, etc., does this device have to connect to a computer?
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

And analog is not designed for stoners... now you know.

lol. I didn't anticipate my comment would be taken to have personal reference. Sorry. I was meaning the ~2 and ~3 second delay could be seen as a bit absurd in the modern world, and personally think that the old phone companies should wake up and speed up. I guess my way of expressing that was a bit colourful.
tbrummell2
join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

tbrummell2 to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

You just got me curious. Have you done this? Any special hardware did you use or just a wiretap with a buzzer?

Being an ex telco guy, yeah I've done it many times. As I said, get a butt set and clip it on the line in monitor mode, you'll hear the data burst.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· _handset
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by tbrummell2:

said by mazilo:

Being an ex telco guy, yeah I've done it many times. As I said, get a butt set and clip it on the line in monitor mode, you'll hear the data burst.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· _handset

Got it and thank you. Cheers.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

So I took a trip across the border yesterday to pick up the TGP551 I bought on eBay. I got it all setup today.

The only disappointing thing I found was that there is no way to create a dial plan to decide which outgoing provider to use. You can setup 8 providers, but only one is default, or you can manually choose one of the others before you dial.

I also had a bit of trouble getting the firmware to update on both "banks", but applying the update several times eventually did the trick.

Besides that, it works well! And it passed the wife test.

I'll give it a few days, then I'll sell my Cisco ATA and my old Panasonic cordless and hopefully make some of the money back.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by cybersaga:

The only disappointing thing I found was that there is no way to create a dial plan to decide which outgoing provider to use. You can setup 8 providers, but only one is default, or you can manually choose one of the others before you dial.

Yes but you can have different default outbound providers for different handsets.
said by cybersaga:

I also had a bit of trouble getting the firmware to update on both "banks", but applying the update several times eventually did the trick.

One bank is supposed to be the backup (previous) version of the firmware, one bank is the current version.

AFAIK.....

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

said by PX Eliezer1:

Yes but you can have different default outbound providers for different handsets.

I did notice that, though it doesn't really work for me. I was hoping to use it to route toll free calls to another provider other than my default (Anveo) without any special procedures. Not a big deal though.
said by PX Eliezer1:

One bank is supposed to be the backup (previous) version of the firmware, one bank is the current version.

And that does make sense. But after I updated bank 1, it was running off bank 2, which was still the old version. After some fiddling, I got both banks updated.