spc
Search similar:

uniqs

keithW
@50.78.37.x

keithW

Anon

U-verse loop length too long ???

I currently have UVERSE with ATT. My prior residence I had the 6meg package with no problems. I moved and asked for the 45 meg package, but was told the best ATT could deliver is 18 meg. I have issues with the 18 meg where from time to time, the picture on my UVERSE will freeze, pixilate, and then skip forward. My internet also will run slow or drop intermittently. ATT changed the pairs, replaced the modem, and are now stating the issue is the loop length of 4200 feet from their "plant" (which i could not get the tech to clarify if he meant CO).

I work in my CO helpdesk managing commercial dispatches of carriers to our branches worldwide, and when told of a loop issue, my usual process is to either upgrade the circuit to a T1, carrier install a repeater, or downgrade the service.

ATT said that for residential customers, repeaters are not used, that a T1 cannot be installed because that uses copper, and Uverse is fiber optic, and that my only option is to downgrade services.

This is a problem because I work from home from time to time and need the speed. I also have to boys, so our bandwidth needs require higher, not lower.

So my questions here are for someone who can answer the following in regards to ATT UVERSE residential:

- What , if any, options do I have to clear up a signal issue for Uverse due to loop length?
- How would downgrading bandwidth clear up dropped service?
- are there any options for boosting signal from ATT

Thanks for any help!

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

Loop lengths over 3000 feet from a VRAD (video ready access device) on a VDSL circuit with IPTV services or not would be bonded pairs. The main factors are quality of lines, total distance, the max sync per pair and SN (signal noise margin).

4200 feet is not extreme providing have decent starting sync (K or N cards better than F cards), SN at least 12 or better (closer to 15 or over is ideal), with decent wiring outside plant, and inside (new cat5 home run from NID to RG).

The Uverse receivers should be cat5 Ethernet not coax wire runs.
Your described issues sounds as if wiring issue, the question is inside home or not.

A Uverse tech with various testing and history on account should be able to narrow down, provided not multiple problems. The NID monitor for 10-15 minutes, with tests such as SELT should help to determine responsibility.
Outside plant possible issues...
1) flaky port, bounce or swap port...Uverse tech/outside tech
2. Poor jumper connections at crossbox... uverse tech/outside tech
3. Poor splice connections on f2 pair.... Outside tech
4. Poor serving terminal connections, behind terminal.... Outside tech
5. Poor drop connection or drop wire (needs to be cat3)... Uverse tech/outside tech
6. Poor connections/faulty equipment NID... Uverse tech/outside tech
Inside poosivle issues...
7. Issue with home run (ideal cat5).... Uverse tech
8. Issue with data jack (biscuit or wall plate)... Uverse tech.
9 issues with data cable... Uverse tech
10. Issue with RG (residential gateway)... Uversd tech
11. Issue with cable / connections from RG to receiver(s) ideal cat5 Ethernet... Uverse tech
12. Flaky port or receiver requires replacement.... uverse tech.
13. On wrong profile (should be 25M, if on 55M will have low SN with issues, probably more than current, need uverse tech to smart chat to lower profile to 25M.

Download the myAtt app (orange background/blue,white globe) run troubleshoot section.
This is the same 5 tests ran when call in, if green check mark no problems found.... Otherwise issue discovered need to schedule a service call.

If all of above is good, lowering profile to 19M (2HD/2SD for TV inputs and best internet is 12/1.5 Max, instead of 18/1.5 Max Plus....

Stable service is desire goal, sometimes need to lower service profile to provide, but this is after above items have been verified to be OK.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to keithW

to keithW
Most uverse is copper based.T1 is 1.5meg and yes people do get them installed in residential but will be discontinued in 2016.
Just wonering if your Uv is single pair or two pairs?
4200' is to far for single pair service so I am guessing you have two pairs.Depending on the age and condition of your local cable it can be problematic.

Att informer
@183.87.138.x

Att informer to my thoughts

Anon

to my thoughts
Yes most probably it's a profile issue. At 4200, I would suggest a 19 Meg profile with 12 Mb HSIA.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to keithW

Premium Member

to keithW
what kind of modem do you have? Is it white or silver or black?