uniqs

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

[Appliances] State brand water heaters?

Has anyone here heard of State brand water heaters? I am getting quotes to get a new one installed to replace the 20y.o. one I have now that sounds like a thunderstorm is going on in the attic when ever the showers, dishwasher, or washer are running. Most of the plumbers around here install Rheem, but one insists on State claiming it is better. I have never heard of them. Anyone here have any positives or negatives about them? Or, any recommendations for a water heater? It will be a 50 Gallon tank natural gas heater in my attic in the Houston area.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 edit

John97

Premium Member

[Appliances] Re: State brand water heaters?

I bought my house in November 2012. It was built in 1985. I had the 27-year-old original State (electric) water heater replaced the first month I was here under the home warranty. It was replaced with an A.O. Smith, because that's what the local supply house carried.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to ilikeme

to ilikeme

Re: [Appliances] State brand water heaters?

said by ilikeme:

Most of the plumbers around here install Rheem, but one insists on State claiming it is better.

If somebody tells you one is better than another, ask WHY? If they say one lasts longer than the others, ask HOW MUCH LONGER? If they say one fails more than the others, ask WHAT FAILS?

Also ask the plumber how long his/her or the manufacturer's labor warranty lasts. They do not make money from callbacks on new heaters, but once the labor warranty runs out, you will pay, not the plumber or the manufacturer. They're not putting food on the table if the heaters they install fail too soon or are finicky about installation.

For example, a 6-year heater may have only one anode rod. A 12-year heater may have two anode rods. Some may come with a brass drain, some with plastic. Some with galvanized heat trap nipples, some with no nipples. Some (Bradford White) tout their contractor-friendly features.

There are only so many manufacturers. If you examine various heaters of the same specification side-by-side, you can probably tell the ones that came from the same factory regardless of the nameplate. I can't remember who makes what in glass-lined tank heaters. I've found the site linked below helpful.

»www.waterheaterrescue.co ··· ter.html

If you want a so-called "premium" heater check out Bock or HTP and open your wallet a lot wider.

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by ArgMeMatey:

If somebody tells you one is better than another, ask WHY?

He said it is because they provide better support. I Googled the brand and they had quite a few negative reviews. They also do not offer the 12-year option, just 6 and have aluminum rods as opposed to Zinc.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
I am a warranty agent for AO Smith, State, Bradford White, and other tankless manufacturers..

There are only 3 major manufacturers of residential tank heaters. AOS/State, Ruud/Rheem, and Bradford White. All the tanks out there are basically the same, the warranty and warranty support are whats different. From my experience, Rheem doesnt have the level of service that AOS/State does, as they typically make the installing plumber fix the heater, and the installer may or may not know what they are doing. Bradford is a combination of installer/service agent.

State does offer a 12yr heater, your installer needs to ask his wholesaler about it. At least they offer 12yr here in PA.

-j

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to ilikeme

MVM

to ilikeme
Anecdotally, most of the plumbers around here (that I work with) seem to prefer State or Bradford White.
I did two WH jobs last week (gas to electric) and they were both State. Different plumbing companies.
It may be as simple as what brands do the local supply houses sell. Just an example, here most of the electrical supply houses carry Murray / Siemens or Eaton / Cutler - So those are the brands most of the local professionals install. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
My 1st NG water heater was a State and I got about 16 years out of it.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to ilikeme

MVM

to ilikeme
My last house had a State natural gas heater. It had been there for 27 years when it was replaced. It's issue when replaced was the gas valve, but it seemed prudent to replace the entire unit on it at that point. I never did any maintenance on it when I lived there. I did have a water softener though.

The Rheem in my current house made it 8.5 years before the tank failed.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to nunya

MVM

to nunya
Off topic, but why would anyone change from a gas to an electric water heater?

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

I was wondering the same thing. Around here electric is a lot more expensive to run compared to natural gas. Maybe if they are on propane tanks though, then electric might be cheaper.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by ilikeme:

said by Cho Baka:

I was wondering the same thing. Around here electric is a lot more expensive to run compared to natural gas. Maybe if they are on propane tanks though, then electric might be cheaper.

If it's Propane and if's it is as expensive as here I guarantee Electric is cheaper.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Cho Baka

MVM

to Cho Baka
They were both being relocated. One was being moved from a kitchen (yes, gas wh in the kitch) to the basement.
The other was being moved from a 2nd floor closet to the attic to free up floor space.

They didn't want to pay for all the gas piping and flue work.
Otherwise, it makes no sense whatsoever to go from NG to electric.

macyh
Ex-Isp
MVM
join:2001-04-24
Medina, OH
·Breezeline

macyh to tp0d

MVM

to tp0d
Second this comment, learned the hard way. Owner of a local plumbing distributor explained same realities and comments.

FYI There are different commercial brand units that are better than common resi units, but they are much more expensive. Not worth it for the average homeowner.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to ilikeme

to ilikeme
While it's probably too late and time for a new one anyway, have you tried flushing the sediment out?