spc
Search similar:

uniqs
userofdsl
join:2000-07-31
Somerville, MA

userofdsl

[General] Email

I thought I'd post this here, since I have participated in this forum off and on for years, and the people here seem to be knowledgeable in general.

I've been using a Verizon email address for a very long time, which I retained after recently switching from Verizon DSL to RCN internet service in connection with a move.

Years ago, during one of Verizon's then-periodic email outages, a well-known security expert said in a news article that he would not wish Verizon email upon his worst enemy. It hasn't been quite that bad in recent years, but it's been bad enough, including lately. In the old days, they were justifiably known as Hell Atlantic.

I've long felt that I'm in too deep to switch, but I've also recognized that at some point I had better do so despite the work involved in notifying eight zillion people of the change. A change I want to make only once.

Switching to another corporate domain, e.g., gmail, seems like a bad idea, since an company can go bad even if once good, and then I'm in the same situation as now. Instead, it seems reasonable to register my own domain, e.g., userofdsl.com (not that one, of course), and link that to some service.

Any ideas on what providers would be good for this, and how to configure? I am just a single user and want high reliability, high ease of use, and low complexity. I use Outlook, but would like web mail in case I need it; with VZ, I've been leaving mail on their servers for 10 days.

I would appreciate either direct answers, or links to good resources about this.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm no longer a user of dsl, but at least for a while plan to keep the retro name, in line with the retro name DSL Reports.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by userofdsl:

Any ideas on what providers would be good for this, and how to configure?

I recommend using Mailbox.org for your own domain:
»mailbox.org/en/

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to userofdsl

Premium Member

to userofdsl
said by userofdsl:

Switching to another corporate domain, e.g., gmail, seems like a bad idea, since an company can go bad even if once good, and then I'm in the same situation as now. Instead, it seems reasonable to register my own domain, e.g., userofdsl.com (not that one, of course), and link that to some service.

Agreed. You should register your own domain, and thereby own your address.
said by userofdsl:

Any ideas on what providers would be good for this, and how to configure? I am just a single user and want high reliability, high ease of use, and low complexity. I use Outlook, but would like web mail in case I need it; with VZ, I've been leaving mail on their servers for 10 days.

Kolab

Kolab, either self-hosted (don't even go there unless you really know what youre doing) or via the MyKolab hosted service.

If you go for the hosted service, you would want the "Group Manager" option so you can use a domain that you own. Pricing isn't the cheapest, but is still pretty reasonable: https://mykolab.com/pricing

Namecheap

Namecheap email, based on open-xchange, is pretty decent and very affordable. Not as kick-ass as Kolab, but still something I'd strongly recommend.

Namecheap is also a good place to get a domain.

Rackspace

Rackspace's hosted Microsoft Exchange is quite good. Backend and user interface etc is exchange, but the spam filtering and internet-facing MXs are Rackspace's own setup - so it doesn't suffer from a lot of the problems that many exchange-only setups have. Pricing is meh. I've used them on several projects where the email absolutely had to be exchange - and IF AND ONLY IF YOU SPECIFICALLY PREFER EXCHANGE, I Highly recommend this option.

Run your own

Fire up a server or two or three, and run your own. Excellent guide that teaches you the why and how as well as the step-by-step what, can be found here: https://workaround.org/ispmail/wheezy

Long term, especially if you're any type of control freak, running your own is IMHO the best option.

If you go this route, do make sure to have option for redundancy. You need at least one backup MX. You should ideally have the exact same spam filtering on the backup as you have on the primary.

One interesting approach is to run two identically configured MTAs, each with its own local mailstore and IMAP server, and keep the mailstores syncronized using imapsync. This allows you full use of your system as long as one of the servers is up, and eliminates the backscatter risk that often comes with running a backup MX.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to userofdsl

to userofdsl
I have mine through GoDaddy. Not inexpensive, but no problems in 5 years. Web and Pop

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to userofdsl

Premium Member

to userofdsl
You can register a domain with namecheap and just forward to gmail for free also.

They have been running $0.98 deals on registration for Cyber Monday.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to Ken1943

to Ken1943
said by Ken1943:

I have mine through GoDaddy. Not inexpensive, but no problems in 5 years. Web and Pop

The problem for godaddy email is that it has only one user name for a free account. Will you be able to get more than one?

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to userofdsl

to userofdsl
Don't know anything about free accounts.

ajhaji
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji to userofdsl

Premium Member

to userofdsl
I use Zoho with my own private domain and have been very happy with the service. It provides 10 accounts completely free.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

1 recommendation

Ole Juul to userofdsl

to userofdsl
You can get 1000 e-mail addresses for $5 per month from Superb Internet. I use them for hosting and the e-mail is just a real plus. It's stable, well managed, and doesn't require any fancy setup since they run the server for you. (And their support is as good as it could possibly be.) Get a domain with your own name if you can. Personally using a name like "Yahoo" or "Hotmail" or anything else which is not my domain, looks unprofessional to my delicate (and quite biased) way of looking at it.

PS: The ability to add and delete e-mail addresses is actually very useful. Set up different ones for different types of use and direct them all to your main one. A temporary address can also be handy for one time use.

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey to twinclouds

Premium Member

to twinclouds
said by twinclouds:

The problem for godaddy email is that it has only one user name for a free account. Will you be able to get more than one?

Think godaddy did away with free email accounts with domain registration some time ago.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

I still have one, but only one user account.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to userofdsl

MVM

to userofdsl
Back during the 90s I went through dial-up ISP of the month and decided to register a domain name to provide a stable email address. I find having a web site to post my musing much more to my liking than the social networking sites like Facebook.

As others have posted it is pretty cheap. Domain registration costs me $15 a year and the hosting service for web site and email another $50. Use it for both myself and my wife.

If you are in a technical field can't hurt your CV to have your own domain.

/tom
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

If you are in a technical field can't hurt your CV to have your own domain.

And the flipside, I cringe when I see people with Yahoo or AOL addresses even though I'm not involved in tech at all.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

2 recommendations

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

And the flipside, I cringe when I see people with Yahoo or AOL addresses even though I'm not involved in tech at all.

Apparently Yahoo and AOL meets the users needs and if you're not involved in "tech" why does it bother you?
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to userofdsl

Premium Member

to userofdsl
As mentioned, register your own domain and then just use a service to forward all email to one source. Forwarding the email is easy. Pretty much all registrar will allow you to forward your own domain email to another email address. You do the same with your Verizon email address.

I use Gmail to read and send all my email. So I have my registrar forward my copelandhome.net email to my tcxxx.gmail.com email. You do this with all your email accounts. In Gmail I just set my return email address as todd@copelandhome.net. Once this is done, you just need to maintain your own domain name and you can redirect it whenever you want. You can then slowly get everyone to change.

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

2 recommendations

dcurrey to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Have no problem with people using free email addresses. But with businesses its a no no.

Can't tell you how many companies get an automatic pass up because they use free email accounts. I expect nothing less than a company domain with proper whois info.
(No privacy guard)
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
said by Jack in VA:

Apparently Yahoo and AOL meets the users needs and if you're not involved in "tech" why does it bother you?

I respect people's wishes to do whatever they want, but if one has the ability to do better I encourage it.

Yahoo and AOL e-mail addresses are often difficult to identify. Besides, Yahoo has the downside of being frequently broken - at least lately. And then there's the issue of whether one would like to support, or buy into, the big corporate system - but I suppose that's a discussion better left to another thread.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to userofdsl

Premium Member

to userofdsl
Like you userofdsl See Profile, I ran into that problem so I went with 1 and 1 for my own domain and e-mail address. I've switched ISPs but still the same e-mail with this.
Adkins
join:2014-11-27

Adkins to userofdsl

to userofdsl
register your own domain

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to userofdsl

Premium Member

to userofdsl
Well, I see we have "email bigots" now...

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I cringe when I see people with Yahoo or AOL addresses

...but Gmail is fine.
I don't get how that is much different. ??

WillRegSoon
@74.89.73.x

WillRegSoon

Anon

said by ttiiggy:

said by PX Eliezer1:

I cringe when I see people with Yahoo or AOL addresses

...but Gmail is fine.
I don't get how that is much different. ??

Like the security 'expert' with a Gmail address.
It just doesn't compute.