spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MarkW
@96.231.109.x

MarkW

Anon

[Networking] Strange networking issue

So, this isn't necessarily a FiOS-specific question, but I'm not sure where else to try...

I've got FiOS. I've got in-wall wiring in my house. I've used an ethernet tester to check from the cable to the router to the switch, to the in-wall jack, to the end of the cable that plugs into the laptop. And everything tests out fine. I've connected the same laptop directly to the router and it works fine. However when I plug the laptop into the cable from the wall jack, I get nothing.

I've run out of things to check.

Any suggestions?
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

what port is the switch plugged into? 1,2,3 or 4? and is that LAN LED firing off?

when you plugged the laptop direct in, what port did you plug it into?

MarkW
@108.56.219.x

MarkW

Anon

said by hubrisnxs:

what port is the switch plugged into? 1,2,3 or 4? and is that LAN LED firing off?

when you plugged the laptop direct in, what port did you plug it into?

I tried port 3 and port 1. Used the same ports directly and through the in-home wiring.
MarkW

MarkW

Anon

Oh, and the lights were going when connected directly but not when connected through the jack.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to MarkW

to MarkW
First off break it in pieces.... meaning test just the cable. then put one end in the jack and go to the router/switch and test there, if that doesn't work then you have a break in the punch downs/wall jacks.

Always break it down when your troubleshooting.

MarkW
@108.56.219.x

MarkW

Anon

said by BosstonesOwn:

First off break it in pieces.... meaning test just the cable. then put one end in the jack and go to the router/switch and test there, if that doesn't work then you have a break in the punch downs/wall jacks.

Always break it down when your troubleshooting.

See, that's just it. I did break it down. Each piece tests out fine. Even together with the tester it all works. It's only when I connect the laptop to the router through the in-home wiring that it falls apart.

The cables each work fine.

The wiring tests out fine.

The laptop conne Ted to the router directly works fine.

It's only when all the parts come together that it doesn't.
DJ29Joesph
join:2006-12-26
Nottingham, MD

DJ29Joesph

I'm 99.9% sure it's the Wall Jack or In-House switch. As BosstonesOwn said, the punch downs. Inside the wall there is a jack that a cable connects to. Can you take a picture of this. Lets make a quick diagram.

Outside Fiber -> ONT (Media Converter / Fiber to Copper) -> Coax / Ethernet -> FiOS Router ( LAN DHCP / DNS / MoCA / Ethernet Switch) -> In-House Ethernet Switch -> Wall Jack -> Laptop

We know the issue isn't the internet itself, so we are left with:
Router -> In-House Ethernet Switch -> Wall Jack -> Laptop

We also know the issue isn't the laptop or the Fios Router because it works when directly connected. We are left with:

In-House Ethernet Switch -> Wall Jack

Process of Elimination!

So, like I stated at the beginning, it's the wall jack or In-House switch.

Do you have FIOS TV? If so, your using COAX for your internet (unless you changed it yourself and made a bridge). I also doubt the wall plate your connecting to goes to the ONT.

One thing you didn't mention is what the wall jack is connected to. You need to trace the wire.

Easiest way to do this:

Get a piece of paper and write down all the lights on the Router and In-House Ethernet Switch.

Plug your laptop into the wall jack and see if you get link lights on the on your laptop. You can test to see if your laptop has link lights by connecting it directly to the router. If you see lights near the Ethernet cable on your laptop, those are called link lights. One is power, the other is activity (usually blinking).

Now, one thing to keep in mind, use the same cable for connecting the laptop to the router and connecting the laptop to the wall jack. No, I'm not saying connect them both at the same time. You want to use the same cable because if it works directly connected to the router, it *should* work at the wall jack. This is called a "known good" cable.

So, once you get to the point of connecting the laptop to the wall jack, see if any of the lights on the In-House Ethernet Switch or Fios Router have changed. If not:

A. The cable jack on the plate is not punched down correctly
B. The cable between the wall plate and the router / switch is bad
C. The wall jack is connected to something else and not the In-House Switch
D. The cable between the in-house switch and Fios Router is bad.

If you do get an extra light on the router:

A. Could be the punch down on the wall jack is loose
B. Use your ethernet tester and test the cable

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more assistance.
MarkW314
join:2014-12-01
Ashburn, VA

MarkW314

My confusion is stemming from the fact that the wall jack tests out just fine with the ethernet tester. In fact, the whole setup works fine with the ethernet tester.

I've done a bit of networking in the past. I understand what I should be looking for. That's what is making this so frustrating.

I get link lights when the laptop is directly connected to the router.
I've tested with both cables (the one I use from the router to switch and the one I've been using from the jack to laptop).
Yes, it would seem like it's the in-wall wiring. But it seems to test out just fine.

I'll take another look and see what I can find.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to MarkW

to MarkW
Draw your connection in a simple diagram and think it through. Any of those pieces could be malfunctioning and should be checked and tested, for example:

pc port-->patch cable-->wall jack-->in wall wire-->wall jack-->patch cable-->switch-->patch cable-->router

You should also unscrew the wall plates and check the wiring to the wall jacks to make sure your in-wall cable is Cat 5 or higher.
DJ29Joesph
join:2006-12-26
Nottingham, MD

DJ29Joesph to MarkW314

to MarkW314
Do you know where the wire from the wall jack ends up? Also, do you have any other in-house jacks and do they work? Reason I ask is if they don't, it could possibly be the connection between the in-house switch and the fios router.

Also make sure you aren't using the WAN port on the FIOS router unless the WAN port cable goes to the ONT.

Test another port in the house first. If not, you could be wasting time behind the wall. Remember your OSI model my friend. Start from Layer 1 to Layer 3.

Layer 1: Physical - Wiring in the house (ethernet)
Layer 2: Data Link - In-House Switch / Fios 4 Port Switch
Layer 3: Network - Fios Router

You Stated:
wall jack tests out just fine with the ethernet tester

You found both ends of the cable, one being at the in-house switch and the other at the wall plate?

Also, try to make a list of things you already checked in the next post. Don't bunch up the troubleshooting as it can be hard to understand. Example:

I. Patch Cable(A) = Tested Good
II. Patch Cable(B) = Tested Good
III. Laptop -> Patch Cable(A) -> Fios Router = Good

ugly cat
@192.35.35.x

ugly cat

Anon

Are you using a true "ethernet" tester or cable tester? Cheap cable testers may not detect unmatched wire pairs. Pull the wall jacks and see if it wired up correctly.

basit
join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA

basit to MarkW

to MarkW
Another thing to check is if your laptop NIC card is set to auto speed or hard set for 1GB. The physical line may check out OK for connectivity, but without a high dollar set of testers, you won't know if the in wall cable has some kinks or a bad punch down on the jack which can affect the data flow and it would only support 100MB or slower. I have seen that happen here at work, I have my switch ports all set to auto, the PC is set to 1GB and the cable tests good, but they have no connectivity. If they set it to auto, they can then get online, but it's really slow. We then will either put a new tip on the end of the cable or punch down the jack depending how it's terminated and that usually fixes them right up.
MarkW314
join:2014-12-01
Ashburn, VA

MarkW314 to ugly cat

to ugly cat
It's a true ethernet tester, yes. I've used this tester to make cables of my own. It specifically indicates crossed wires.
MarkW314

MarkW314 to basit

to basit
said by basit:

Another thing to check is if your laptop NIC card is set to auto speed or hard set for 1GB. The physical line may check out OK for connectivity, but without a high dollar set of testers, you won't know if the in wall cable has some kinks or a bad punch down on the jack which can affect the data flow and it would only support 100MB or slower. I have seen that happen here at work, I have my switch ports all set to auto, the PC is set to 1GB and the cable tests good, but they have no connectivity. If they set it to auto, they can then get online, but it's really slow. We then will either put a new tip on the end of the cable or punch down the jack depending how it's terminated and that usually fixes them right up.

Thanks, but the laptop NIC is set to Auto.

I'm off to pull the jack plate to see if anything is loose.