join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Intel RAID

So my workstation currently has secondary storage drives in a RAID 1 configuration. I would like to replace them with 1TB drives without losing anything, but I don't know enough about Intel's implementation to say that I won't just wipe everything in the process.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

I did something similar.... I ended up using 3 new identical type and firmware drives. Added one in SE mode (single drive), in unused slot. Copied data from raid to this drive...
Powered down, removed the two smaller drives, from raid configuration, and inserted 2 new drives.... Powered up, in Intel Setup, deleted old raid config. Re-configured new drives as Raid (in my case 0), then copied from single drive back to raid... Done.

In my case, I boot off a different disc buss, and the Sata is for temporairy media storage used for video editing.. (That's why Raid 0)

The old drives were then used elsewhere.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

The problem I have is that I only have 3 3.5" bays, although I do have an open SATA port I believe (as well as an eSATA port) so I may try that.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
As with any data migration, always have a backup (this goes without saying but is worth repeating in case you haven't done one in a while). Some controllers allow you to swap drive one at a time (letting them resync of course between swaps) and then perform what is known as an "online capacity expansion", I'm fairly sure the Dell controller in your server does this but I'm not sure your Intel controller will do it.

Lacking that option, your only way to do this (and the only way to be guaranteed nothing goes wrong) is to just rebuild the array and restore from a backup.