It's on their main download page :

»www.mozilla.org/en-US/fi ··· ons/all/

The PORTABLE edition should [hopefully] show up here very soon :

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· e%20Ed./

EDIT : PORTABLE is there now !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Turns out that it's been on the Moz FTP server since Nov 25th, which was also the originally scheduled date for regular FF 34.x to be released, before the postponement.

We all missed it !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Update channel is working fine.

When I asked, my FF Portable 31.2.0 ESR install offered and successfully updated to this new one.

No problems with my extensions.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
No, it was just NOW released to INTERNAL update as per Benjamin Kerensa Firefox Release Manager. I've been trying to do internal update EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK NOW and could not until I just read Kerensa's announcemet in the ESR listserv.

My BURNING question is why is Fx 31.3.0 ESR TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUI WISE from Fx 31.2.0 ESR? And why does NoSquint that is ESSENTIAL for me work fine on Fx 31.2.0 ESR but won't work on Fx 31.3.0 ESR?

I have Fx 31.2.0 ESR on Windows 10 Preview and just internally upgraded to Fx 31.3.0 ESR on Windows 8 Pro from 24.8.0 ESR.

My theme was disabled on the internal upgrade on Windows 8 because I had to use an older version of the theme for Fx 24.8.0 ESR. So, at first I had the default theme and it looked entirely different (with different colors even) than the default theme on Fx 31.2.0 ESR on Win 10 Preview. I thought that, especially on the default theme, that the Home button and most other buttons were now on the right side of the end of the address bar and could not be moved. That's my experience with Fx 31.2.0 ESR on Win 10. But upgrading on Win 8 from 24.8.0 to 31.3.0 had the Home button way over to the farthermost left position on the left side of the address bar and put the back/forward button in a very weird place that will drive me crazy as all these years I've had Fx my new tab button has occupied the place that Fx on Win 8 (but not Win 10) has stuck the back/forward button!

This is AWFUL because the buttons cannot be rearranged and are in completely different locations depending on whether on Windows 8 or Windows 10. If I update from 31.2.0 on Win 10 to 31.3.0 will I get the button placement I have on Win 8 on my internally updated Fx 31.3.0? What I am asking is this a known change in Fx 31.3.0 from Fx 31.2.0 or is the difference because one is on Win 10 and the other is on Win 8? Either way, this is ridiculous.

I installed the current version of my theme (that I use on both Win 8 and Win 10) so that it would be compatible with Australis and I still have the buttons completely different from how they are on Win 10 with 31.2.0 AND THE SAME THEME. That is just weird unless Mozilla did completely change the buttons position from 31.2.0 to 31.3.0.
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
I thought the buttons were large and could no longer be made small? How come one of my profiles has TINY buttons both for the default theme and for a Persona while the other Profile has large buttons for the default theme and for my full theme? I don't have CTR extension installed on either profile. I do have the very same extensions on both profiles. But one profile has Red Cats full theme and the other has only a Persona.

Plus, why does Google search results display correctly on one profile (black bar and notification that I have ssl disabled and proper layout) while the other profile has a white bar and no notification that I have ssl search blocked in my Hosts file and the layout is horrible with the search results all scrunched up on the left side?

I'm getting the impression that with Fx 31 ESR everything is determined by the theme or persona except on one profile the default theme has large buttons and on the other profile the default theme has small buttons. I am finding this to be the MOST CONFUSING Fx version I have ever used going back to Phoenix days. One profile has been heavily used and so may have some corruption but the other one has been used very little and has only two cookies and no bookmarks and almost no history. So, I doubt it is corrupted and it is the one with the tiny buttons for the default theme.

Plus, Addons site thinks I do not have Fx and it grays out the extensions but they install just fine. That's on one of my profiles. On the other, Addons recognizes it as Fx.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

No squint works great for me on 34.0.5. So whatever broke it in your ESR release is a mystery to me.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

My BURNING question is why is Fx 31.3.0 ESR TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUI WISE from Fx 31.2.0 ESR?

It's not. I just went from 31.2.0 to 31.3.0 and not one single change, visually. You've 'done' something - again.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
I forgot that the Fx Addon Bar needed for NoSquint to work is an EXTENSION and not part of Fx. Once I installed the Addon Bar extension then NoSquint was fine.
Mele20

3 edits

Mele20 to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
Click for full size
Click for full size
fx31.3.0 hardly used profile with Persona Windows 8 Pro
Click for full size
Fx31.3.0 main profile with Red Cats theme Windows 8 Pro
The first screen shot is Fx 31.2.0 on Windows 10 Preview on Hyper-V virtual machine with Red Cats theme

So, you have Fx 31.3.0 with Red Cats full theme installed on Windows 10 Preview on Hyper-V running on Windows 8 Pro host computer? If not, your answer is irrelevant. It's turned out 99% of the time all you folks who like to attack me are wrong. So, you need to prove to me that your installation of Fx 31.3.0 on Win 10 Preview, etc is like Fx 31.3.0 on Windows 8 Pro both with Red Cats full theme.

I prefer the buttons in the positions they are in on Win 10 Preview. That's better than on Windows 8 but I really prefer to be able to move them around and have them like I do on earlier versions of Fx and still have on Pale Moon. Red Cats as the theme on Pale Moon on both Windows 8 and Win 10 Preview looks the same. This tells me that mostly likely the reason for the placement of the buttons being different on the Windows version is due to Fx, unlike Pale Moon, not working properly on Win 10 because even the default theme is different on Fx on the two OSes. Or it could be that Red Cats works better on Pale Moon than on Fx...what a hoot that would be!

So, which is supposed to be "correct" for Australis? Win 10 looks much nicer but I bet Win 8 is what Mozilla intends the Australis unmovable buttons look to be.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

No, it was just NOW released to INTERNAL update as per Benjamin Kerensa Firefox Release Manager....

You must need sleep again, then review my posts.

I had not said otherwise.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

said by Mele20:

My BURNING question is why is Fx 31.3.0 ESR TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUI WISE from Fx 31.2.0 ESR?

It's not. I just went from 31.2.0 to 31.3.0 and not one single change, visually.

You've 'done' something - again.

I'm inclined to agree, but cannot say fer shoor, and I do not use a bunch of themes, nor multiple profiles per install, so cannot easily try to replicate what she sees.

Instead I use the PORTABLE versions and always wait for them to come out each time, to try each first in the incredibly easy to do separate installs, before trying anything new thru internal updates on my primary installs.

And, as I posted in another thread, any laments about how ANYTHING (mis)behaves with Win 10 are moot at this early time, and/or should be directed to Micro$haft, rather than here, as we aren't going to know how to fix them.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I forgot that the Fx Addon Bar needed for NoSquint to work is an EXTENSION and not part of Fx.

Once I installed the Addon Bar extension then NoSquint was fine.

Good to read that.

Did you amend your earlier post where you had jumped to the wrong conclusion ?

I generally try to do so if something similar happens to ME.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

....I prefer the buttons in the positions they are in on Win 10 Preview.

That's better than on Windows 8 but I really prefer to be able to move them around and have them like I do on earlier versions of Fx and still have on Pale Moon....

said by Mele20:

....So, which is supposed to be "correct" for Australis? ....

Cannot answer all of that post, but what I CAN say from my own tests is this :

(1) If you do NOT install CTR onto Australis, some of your icons/buttons will be at the mercy of that dreaded UI.

(2) The only OTHER thing which I have encountered which SOMETIMES moves Australis UI's frozen icons/buttons (but even then only to wherever the author has specified) are some of the few complete themes for Australis, such as Tiger SP from Frank Lion.

Possibly the Cats theme has some such capability built-in too.

If being able to move your buttons around is a priority for you (as it is for ME), then there are limited choices :

(1) Add CTR to newer FireFox

(2) Stay on not-so-new FireFox

(3) Go to PaleMoon, or to SeaMonkey

There ARE solutions.

You just don't LIKE some of them.

And neither so I, which is why I am still on FF 24.8.1 ESR as my main browser on my main PC, and am still testing all of the other browsers using PORTABLE editions.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

2 recommendations

Exidor

Premium Member

Dealing with Firefox updates....

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, you need to prove to me that your installation of Fx 31.3.0 on Win 10 Preview, etc is like Fx 31.3.0 on Windows 8 Pro both with Red Cats full theme.

I'd rather stab myself in the eyes than install that theme. And no - my point stands. The GUI is NOT totally different. You're coming across as scatterbrained making that argument.

Also if you find our posts irrelevant, don't reply to them.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

(1) If you do NOT install CTR onto Australis, some of your icons/buttons will be at the mercy of that dreaded UI.

(2) The only OTHER thing which I have encountered which SOMETIMES moves Australis UI's frozen icons/buttons (but even then only to wherever the author has specified) are some of the few complete themes for Australis, such as Tiger SP from Frank Lion.

Possibly the Cats theme has some such capability built-in too.

Anyone reading the development forum at Mozillazine knows (from Frank Lion and a few other old timers) that Red Cats is one of the VERY few full themes updated to work with Australis. So, yes, the author has put the buttons in specific places not necessarily where Australis says they should be.

But that still doesn't answer the question regarding why the DEFAULT theme with a mere Persona (not full theme) has tiny icons/buttons ....too tiny actually... and I far prefer small buttons/icons but not tiny. I thought the default theme on Australis versions had big buttons/icons that could not be made small without installing CTR but that does not seem to be the case at all.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Partially as I have begun to develop and/or revise some extensions when I could not find any to do certain things (or could only find older abandoned and/or half-baked flavours), gradually I've been spending more and more time lurking at Mozillazine recently, though not always sure which forum, as I usually do my searches externally, and Google puts me onto the thread when it gets a hit on my search term.

I read a long and quite interesting thread a few days ago, where Frank gets into discussing theme development and CSS coding, etc.

It will be tough for me to comment much on what you see, because I refuse to even PLAY with Australis without CTR being there too (though I briefly disabled CTR once, in order to try some of Frank's themes - pretty nice, too, but I prefer lighter shades, and most of his are dark).

I did briefly try the Cats theme, but I forget under what conditions, and what my observations were, so would need to try it again in order to say any more.

And as some of your testing is on Win 10, it just causes confusion when you (or we) try to analyze what you have been seeing, as I know full well that Mozilla browsers DO take some of their default UI appearance from the OS, my own best example being that the folder icon got turned on its side in the browser, starting at Windows Vista ( which I only noticed recently after all of my time using Vista at the same time as XP ).

And the same browser installed on XP has the folders oriented as per XP and older Windows.

One question :

What happens to the icons/buttons if you switch away from that Persona, back to the default FF theme ?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Davesnothere:

I read a long and quite interesting thread a few days ago, where Frank gets into discussing theme development and CSS coding, etc.

I think I saw that thread but it was long and I didn't read it. Frank does seem to like darker themes which are too "somber" looking to me but he is an excellent, long time theme developer.
said by Davesnothere:

I did briefly try the Cats theme, but I forget under what conditions, and what my observations were, so would need to try it again in order to say any more.

You said some female relative would love it you thought and asked me for a link for it...did she ever try it and like it?
said by Davesnothere:

And as some of your testing is on Win 10, it just causes confusion when you (or we) try to analyze what you have been seeing, as I know full well that Mozilla browsers DO take some of their default UI appearance from the OS

You are right about that! On XP, Mozilla browsers could be made to use the background color the user chose if the user was using Classic style for Windows and the address bar URL could be fully bolded (not just the domain part) through Windows setup even though Mozilla abandoned that some time ago. I haven't meant to cause confusion but what happened was that my FIRST experience with an Australis based Fx has been on Win 10 Preview. I had originally installed Pale Moon there (no Fx at all) and Pale Moon even with version 25 extensive changes had no GUI changes on Win 10 Preview. I was getting tired of the long delay while Mozilla tried to fix the on start crashing if one updated via internal updater from 24.8 ESR to 31 ESR so I finally decided to do a standalone install of Fx 31.2.0 ESR on Win 10 Preview while I waited for internal update to be turned on my 24.8 ESR on Win 8. So, what I got I assumed was how Australis with Red Cats was supposed to look as that was my first experience with Australis. I didn't realize the buttons, etc were messed up until yesterday when I could finally upgrade internally on Win 8. Then I got really confused as the default theme does NOT have big buttons and I had read that it did and some Personas have really tiny buttons and everything looked so different than on Win 10 Preview.
said by Davesnothere:

What happens to the icons/buttons if you switch away from that Persona, back to the default FF theme ?

The default theme has the same buttons as the Persona but slightly larger (or maybe I can just see them better...that Persona is not a favorite of mine but it was the only Persona/theme installed on that very lightly used profile). Even so, those cannot be called LARGE buttons! The buttons on Red Cats ARE LARGE and I always used the small buttons on Red Cats and really miss them. So, I am wondering why the default theme buttons are not large as large buttons as permanent was something complained about a lot in the first version of Fx with Australis. To me, the default theme was far better on pre-Australis. I would die of boredom and depression if I had to use ONLY the default theme on Fx 31. It cries out for either a Persona, full theme or creation of your own Persona. Plus the Menu bar on the default theme is messed up as it is using a green background not the blah gray that the default theme uses so it looks really out of place. It's getting that from WindowBlinds I think but then there should no gray as Windowblinds is configured to take over default color like the ugly gray in Mozilla based browsers so all that gray should be green.

Starbutton in URL bar extension works PERFECTLY on Windows 10 Preview and there is NO need for yet another extension to provide you with the dropdown menu so you can bookmark the page in the folder you want it in. So, I expected proper behavior when I installed it on Windows 8 Fx 31.3 but no it is a mess there. There is no doubt about it but Fx 31.2.0 works far better on Win 10 Preview (even assuming Red Cats is messed up as the icon/button placement is better I think on Win 10) than 31.3 works on Windows 8 Pro.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

When I posted this Fx opened to the Main dslreports page rather than to this thread with my post showing as it should have done! That has never happened on Fx 31 on Win 10 Preview. I say again Fx with Australis is a MESS on Windows 8 and is fine on Windows 10 Preview.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

After reading about the insanity which yourself and some others are experiencing with the newer Windoze versions, I am SOOOO sincerely glad that I am still using XP, Vista, and Win2K !!!!

Whether you and the rest are brave, foolish, or just bored enough to bother with Win 8+, I simply cannot know.

For the most part, I'm satisfied to fiddle with some alternate browsers and a few extensions, and observe how they behave within the Windows versions which I DO use.

BTW, I find that Frank is more level-headed than some of the rather biased folks who also post over at Mozillazine, and manages to filter their rhetoric while retaining whatever really matters in a conversation.

And his programming is top shelf.

I have programmed in the past in other languages, but now am trying to wrap my aging mind around the rather different (at times) syntax of CSS, XUL, and Javascript, to do something with extensions.

Frank has posted much which I have found helpful in only a short time, and so has Aris (the CTR dev), as well as several others there.

Soon I will join Mozillazine, so that I can participate in a few discussions (rather than only lurk), and pick a few brains a bit.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

....Starbutton in URL bar extension works PERFECTLY on Windows 10 Preview and there is NO need for yet another extension to provide you with the dropdown menu so you can bookmark the page in the folder you want it in.

So, I expected proper behavior when I installed it on Windows 8 Fx 31.3 but no it is a mess there. There is no doubt about it but Fx 31.2.0 works far better on Win 10 Preview (even assuming Red Cats is messed up as the icon/button placement is better I think on Win 10) than 31.3 works on Windows 8 Pro.

What extension is this ?

Do you mean the one from Aris ? »addons.mozilla.org/en-us ··· rprofile

Its function also happens to be a small part of what CTR can do, BTW.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

PORTABLE Edition is UP

Here it is ! :

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· e%20Ed./

Mele, this has YOUR name all over it.

You already use a portable OS by using a virtual PC.

This is small potatoes - piece of cake !

Just create a folder for it off the root of your C: (or some other) drive volume, during the install dialogue, and afterwards manually make a shortcut to the FireFox Portable EXE file, and put the shortcut on your desktop or wherever it is easy to find.

Give it a try, and you'll wonder why you never did before !

Then you can install whichever extensions you wish, and can even have multiple installs of the same browser in the same or different versions, each in its own folder and self-contained profile, and each with its own shortcut.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: FireFox 31.3.0 ESR Released

Yes, the one from Aris...He's the author of CTR? Maybe I will end up using CTR but I was trying to not do that and also not install a bunch of bits and pieces separately of what CTR can do with just the one extension. I wanted the star back in the address bar (funny, I didn't like that star at all when Mozilla first introduced it but I got used to it and then began to like it after a long while but I'd stll rather it was a different symbol). I also wanted the default bookmarks button gone but that also takes the default star with it! I either call bookmarks via right click on the page I want to bookmark or I use bookmarks from the Menu bar. I don't need a separate Bookmarks button cluttering the space at the end of the address bar. Plus, the address bar is very long and much of that is just wasted space so I like to have that star inside it.

I thought it odd that I could remove the Persona and turn on the default theme withOUT needing to restart Fx but I guess that's because it was just a Persona and not a full theme. But then I had to restart for some other reason and now the Starbutton in URL bar extension works ok on Fx on Win 8. The author though says you need another extension also to have it work right. Maybe it works ok for me without another extension because I bookmark by right clicking on the page and that, with this extension, gives me the pop up box where I can scroll down and choose whatever folder I want to put the bookmark in.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Yes, the one from Aris...He's the author of CTR? Maybe I will end up using CTR but I was trying to not do that and also not install a bunch of bits and pieces separately of what CTR can do with just the one extension.

Yes, Aris has several other smaller extensions, most of which are only for Australis, and which together accomplish a lot of what CTR can do, but NOT everything.

If you do warm up to CTR, you can enable the parts that you want, some of which duplicate things that various of those smaller extensions do, and can also accomplish some other tweaks with it if you wish.

At first I said that I would not use CTR, but have been testing it just in case it becomes the lesser evil of my choices at some point, and I must say that it appears to be stable, and am pleased that the author seems to be supporting it regularly, and it looks like he can be reached for support.

I also gave CTR a chance because I would NEVER be able to tolerate Australis on its own - it's such a piece of shit, and my impression of Australis has been constant from the day I first tried it.
said by Mele20:

[And] I wanted the star back in the address bar (funny, I didn't like that star at all when Mozilla first introduced it but I got used to it and then began to like it after a long while but I'd still rather it was a different symbol).

Microsoft gave us that star first, IIRC, and I still hate that it is at the far right, just as your 2011 thread said in its OP.
said by Mele20:

I also wanted the default bookmarks button gone, but that also takes the default star with it !

Not anymore, if you install a new extension which I have developed and am final testing.

It's only for Australis UI browsers, and works with or without CTR.

I have not tested it with alternate full themes yet, but it's OK with Personas.
said by Mele20:

I either call bookmarks via right click on the page I want to bookmark, or I use bookmarks from the Menu bar.

I mostly use the Menu bar menu, but am beginning to use the Star button more and more, now that I can put it where I want it (one of the few things which I DO like about Australis over FF4 thru 28 UI), and now that my extension hides its Siamese twin.
said by Mele20:

I don't need a separate Bookmarks button cluttering the space at the end of the address bar.

Plus, the address bar is very long, and much of that is just wasted space, so I like to have that star inside it.

As mentioned in other threads, I solve the wasted empty address bar space by merging the all of my Nav bar components into my Menu bar (and then using CTR to hide the Nav bar), and I prefer the Star immediately to the right of the Help Menu, to which purpose I am also working on another extension to let me put the Star Button wherever I want in the non-Australis FF, PM, and SM -and it's almost completed.
said by Mele20:

I thought it odd that I could remove the Persona and turn on the default theme withOUT needing to restart Fx, but I guess that's because it was just a Persona and not a full theme.

Agreed, and that's what I noticed too.
said by Mele20:

But then I had to restart for some other reason, and now the Star button in URL bar extension works ok on Fx on Win 8.

Weird, but take it !
said by Mele20:

The author though says you need another extension also, to have 'Star Button in URL bar' work right.

Maybe it works ok for me without another extension because I bookmark by right clicking on the page, and that with this extension, gives me the pop up box where I can scroll down and choose whatever folder I want to put the bookmark in.

Maybe.

I read that too, but not sure what he meant, and it was moot to me, as I use CTR when testing Australis UI browsers, and CTR doesn't have that warning.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

If you do warm up to CTR

It is not so much need to "warm up to it" as my trying (as I did with Win 8 when I got this computer) to get used to and work with Australis. But the Fx Release Manager got back to me in the listserv and wanted to know what buttons are in different places on Win 10 Preview as opposed to Win 8 so I've been testing Fx 31 ESR on both Windows versions with and without Red Cats complete theme, and with Personas instead, and good lord, but NONE of the Personas I have used on Fx 24ESR work on Fx 31 and only Two Personas I have found so far (of hundreds I have tried) that work correctly on Fx 31 on either OS! I bet they might work if I install CTR. I love Red Cats but I also like to use Personas.

As I told the Fx Release Manager, it is not Red Cats not working correctly on Win 10 causing the buttons to be in different places from Windows 8 as I first assumed. The buttons remain in different places when the default theme is used with or without Personas. So, it must be Fx 31 ESR not working right on Win 10 and I wonder if current Fx works right on Win 10 as far as button placement. I guess I need to do the portable Fx thing you keep recommending to me so I can see if current Fx puts the buttons correctly as per Australis on Win 10. Current Fx must work correctly or I would be finding others asking why Win 10 and Fx Australis versions don't get along.

Personas on Australis on Win 8 and Win 10 freak out I think because I use a custom Windowblinds skin with Aereo affects and I use Tree Style Tabs which adapts to the Fx theme or Persona in use but not so on Australis with the exception of two Personas of all the ones I've tried so far.
said by Davesnothere:

Not anymore, if you install a new extension which I have developed and am final testing.

Goody! I want it when you finish testing it.
said by Davesnothere:

I mostly use the Menu bar menu, but am beginning to use the Star button more and more, now that I can put it where I want it

Yeah, I liked when the popup for bookmarking was on the left side instead of the right as it is now.
Mele20

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: PORTABLE Edition is UP

said by Davesnothere:

Mele, this has YOUR name all over it.

OK. I installed it on Win 8. I'll have to install it again on Win 10. Then I added Portable Fx and pinned the .exe to Start8. I tried to start Fx portable and it said I had a version of Fx running and needed to shut it down first! That's not so cool. I used to install several versions of Fx (and other browsers) on my XP computer and I could run all of them at the same time if I wanted (assuming had enough RAM).

Anyhow, I shut down Fx that was running and started the portable version. That THING (can't call it a browser) was HORRIBLE until I installed Tree Style Tabs. It didn't even have any way to make it full screen? What kind of browser does that? Installing Tree Style Tabs gave me the the buttons in the upper right corner so I could make it full screen. But before I installed this only extension (and no themes or personas) I could see INSANITY but it is NOT me! It's these idiot Fx devs that are crazy. THE BUTTONS ARE POSITIONED COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY on this Fx from what I see on Fx 31ESR on Win 8 and differently from Fx 31 ESR on Win 10. So, I now have a THIRD positioning of Unmovable buttons! That's insane and ridiculous.

This is 34.0.5 with Yahoo as the default search engine (I got rid of that right away). I also got my first "treat" ever of that new tab page with the advertising. Yuck. Got rid of that fast too.

It installed an extension without my doing anything...WordWeb Oneclick Lookup. Why would it do that? Yes, WordWeb is in the systray but I haven't seen the extension for oneclick lookup install on Fx or Pale Moon on its own before. I do like being able to see what Fx 34.0.5 is like without disturbing Fx 31 ESR but I won't use it hardly unless I tweak it fully first and that takes time.

Hmm....all Personas I have tried work fine on it and I do have Tree Style Tabs installed that uses the Persona you have installed. On Fx 31 ESR (both Profiles) the Personas (except for a couple) have blurred font on the tabs so I couldn't tell except by the favicon (if there was one) what each tab was. But the font is not blurred on Fx 34.0.5. I wonder if another of my extensions is causing that on Fx31 ESR? The Personas on Fx31 ESR also caused my desktop theme to show in the area where the tabs are. That is awful and shouldn't happen and doesn't on this portable version. Only two Personas did not let the Desktop theme show through in the column where the tabs are under the few tabs I had open. Weird.
Mele20

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: FireFox 31.3.0 ESR Released

Click for full size
Well...I'll be....I LIKE Fx 34.0.5 so far but I hate the Home button now being all the way to the far right side of the address bar. I use the Home button very frequently too.

I was able to make those buttons for the bookmarks disappear off the right side of the address bar and they went into Bookmarks on the Menu bar! Blow me away but now those ugly things are gone and when I right click on a page I get a neat little window that will, among other things, call the bookmark window from Bookmarks on the Menu bar so the popup window is now on the left side right under the favicon on the address bar. That's great! But without the star in the address bar I can't easily tell if the page is bookmarked or not.

I hate the Home button now being all the way to the far right side of the address bar. I use the Home button very frequently too.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

You can move all buttons where you want them via 'customize'.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

When did that happen? I see I can move them on Fx 31 ESR also! So, why are so many people using CTR then? I thought the main reason to use CTR was to be able to move the buttons.

Why are the default theme buttons small ones but when you use a complete theme (instead of a Persona) they are huge and you can't make them small except via CTR? That's nutty. So, the only reason since whenever this happened (that you could move the buttons) to use CTR is to get small buttons with complete themes? And to be able to get the reload button out of the address bar as that is very irritating...but no other I can see for needing CTR and if you use IE much at all you are somewhat used to the reload button being in the address bar.