slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

3 recommendations

train_wreck to johnfc

to johnfc

Re: [WiFi] Comcast secretly enabled 'xfinitywifi' for bridge-mode user!

said by johnfc:

Why is it important to have this feature off. Is there any evidence that having it on degrades the users service, creates security issues for the user, or in any way harms the user? If the answer is no, then what is the point?

Well the "xfinitywifi" network uses the same wirrless spectrum as any other wifi, and that fixed resource can be consumed by random passers by connected to it. That translates into slower wifi for you.

As for the security implications ..... my problem is that we really dont know HOW comcast is implementing this. With my limited understanding of network and router securely, i believe this COULD be done securely, and could also of course be rife with problems. Comcast hasnt explained much; they just gave it the green light.

I think thats where a lot of the indignation comes from; they did this without asking the user, and any technology company should be well aware of the backlash that can result from such an action.

Bovan
@24.155.16.x

1 recommendation

Bovan to johnfc

Anon

to johnfc
The core issue is people do not trust Comcast. They have shoved this thing down people's throats and turn it back on after people have explicitly asked for it to be turned off and let off.

Between xfinitywifi and the increase in the rental fee people should just go buy their own hardware. No more xfinitywifi and no more junk firmware being downloaded by Comcast whenever they feel like it. It is a no brainer.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to johnfc

Premium Member

to johnfc

imo, there would be an issue about Comcast extending its business plant into my home, among other things, effectively making my house a business location in a residential neighborhood.

And then is the cost of running a business location in my neighborhood. Is Comcast going to pay me for that location cost? Ya know, real estate is all about location, location, location. Where is the compensation from Comcast to me for a WiFi location in this neighborhood? Comcast obvious wants to have this location, why not compensate me for it?

If all Comcast customers wanted to establish a location in Comcast data centers, would Comcast give that location to all their customers without charge?

Location carries an associated value. imo, Comcast is usurping the location of my house without the appropriate compensation to me for that value.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
well due to having statics I'm forced to have a gateway device, but I just verified again that my DPC3939B is not broadcasting wifi, (I just held a device with the wifi analyser app running next to it and the 2nd strongest SSID was weaker than -90db)

compared to my SSID at about -35db

I do see some xfinitywifi, but its weaker than -90db and its on the same channel as mine so there's really no chance its usable within the area mine covers.

though since upgrading to a 1262N from my old 1242AG AP due to physical differences in the units I can't ATM point the antenna's straight upward (I need to ether get a slightly lower platform for it or go for ceiling mounting and flip it upside down)

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

...any technology company should...

imo, Comcast is not a technology company that does business, but a business company that uses technology.

Comcast is not about expanding technology.

Comcast is about exploiting cool technology to transfer more and more money from its customers' accounts to Comcast's coffers.

Do you think for an instant that Comcast's foray into IPv6 was done to keep the techies happy?

Of course not.

There is a strategic need for Comcast to have the IPv6 addresses in order to accommodate the Internet of Things and/or the SmartHouse of the Future.

imo, for Comcast, IPv6 was a strategic business decision, not a technical one.

Period.

Comcast is all about giving its shareholders the best return for their dollars.

Unfortunately, Comcast's senior management, starting with, Mr. Brian "what do you mean we have a customer service problem" Roberts appears to believe that abusing customers produces a better monetary return than treating customers like human beings.

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

2 recommendations

scjohnson to Bovan

to Bovan
said by Bovan :

No more xfinitywifi and no more junk firmware being downloaded by Comcast whenever they feel like it. It is a no brainer.

Comcast pushes appropriate firmware updates to all modems that are connected to the network, so it's not really any different in that regard.

CC_Firmware
@99.71.148.x

1 recommendation

CC_Firmware

Anon

said by scjohnson:

said by Bovan :

No more xfinitywifi and no more junk firmware being downloaded by Comcast whenever they feel like it. It is a no brainer.

Comcast pushes appropriate firmware updates to all modems that are connected to the network, so it's not really any different in that regard.

Except that Comcast can't push firmware to a standard bridge cable modem that will turn it into a commercial WiFi hotspot that the Customer can't control.

Nor can they push firmware (or config files) to a standard bridge modem that disables firewall rules and exposes the customer's servers directly to the Internet. I am a Comcast Business Class customer, and the nasty "disable the firewall" trick was done to me on more than one occasion (on their firewall/router that they advertised at that time as being equivalent to a Cisco or Juniper firewall). I initially tried getting their gateway box put into bridge mode connected to my own router(s), but they kept screwing that up too. I dumped the Comcast gateway box and installed my own standard cable modem (and I have had no more interference from Comcast on my network).

Is it possible that at some future date Comcast might push defective firmware to my stanard cable modem that turns it into a useless black plastic brick? Sure it is, but that is just one of the hazards that you have to accept for doing business with any ISP. I have had that happen to me with AT&T. I also used to do field support for several CLECs and VARs, and I can't count the number of times I would be called to make a zero-dark-thirty trip to the boonies to revive/replace a router that got bricked by a remote IOS update or config change (even "enterprise" class customers are subject to the occasional bricked router).

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

scjohnson

said by CC_Firmware :

I can't count the number of times I would be called to make a zero-dark-thirty trip to the boonies to revive/replace a router that got bricked by a remote IOS update or config change (even "enterprise" class customers are subject to the occasional bricked router).

All good points.

I have certainly had to do my fair share of "fun" emergency recoveries in rommon before..

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to CC_Firmware

Premium Member

to CC_Firmware
said by CC_Firmware :

(even "enterprise" class customers are subject to the occasional bricked router).

Ya I recently got a 24 port L3 POE (3560G) switch cheap because someone couldn't reload the IOS.

Ended up using Rommon and Xmodem to load an IOS then tftp to load the tar file ver of the IOS.

But ya good points, a plain cable modem doesn't genrally have the hardware to do routing or the other L3 functions that a gateway does so they can't turn on what isn't there to be turned on.

LoopDoGG79
Dont believe anything you read
Premium Member
join:2015-01-16
Modesto, CA

1 recommendation

LoopDoGG79 to moulder3

Premium Member

to moulder3
Just got off with comcast. Can confirm, my comcast router that was switched to bridge mode was being used as a hotspot. Pretty low down and dirty. My signal seems more reliable now.