Search similar:

uniqs

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

[Appliances] Clothes washer decided to self destruct... need help...

So .. I have Maytag Neptune top loading clothes washer.

It is very similar to this

»img.epinions.com/images/ ··· d200.jpg

(Not the model, but the look). I'm at work right now so I don't have the model number available.

Recently, it started exhibiting a problem. The problem is that the machine wouldn't finish the spin cycle. You would run a load of laundry, go to put it into the dryer, only to find that, the tub was still full of water.

Now the problem was a little intermittent, but worse on the gentle cycle than a normal cycle.

You could then move the load type selection dial to spin and it would go about it's business.

I had read online of a few people who have had the same issue. They determine it was the dial that selects the load types that was faulty. I figured I had some time before I needed to pull the washer apart.

Well, last night ... I put some clothes in the washer and turned it on. Left the room... I came back about 20 minutes later to smell a not-so-happy-electronics smell coming from my laundry room. Oh CRAP! I thought.

I look at the washer and the dial is hadn't moved very much... it looked like it was on the fill cycle when it decided to die. The tub is full of water ....

I tried other options, no life from the washing machine.

For safety, I unplugged it the power from the wall.

Now it's Christmas time ... worst possible time for the washer to be a stinker. I'm more than capable of repairing it, if I can find the problem parts. Any ideas where to start? My thoughts were to start with the control board inside the top of the unit... am I off?

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

This guy's videos helped me troubleshoot & repair my washer... »www.do-it-yourself-washi ··· elp.com/ plus listening to him speak makes me giggle a little.

Reading your description, it sounds like your timer dial assembly needs to be replaced. Relatively easy job if you are somewhat mechanically or electronically inclined, hopefully you can find a used one on ebay like I did for $25 instead of paying full retail for new replacement...which could run you $200.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to clevere1

to clevere1
I think I would start with a visual inspection of the control board. If you smelt the magic smoke then you should visually see a fault on the board.
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli to clevere1

to clevere1
post it over here:

»appliantology.org/

these guys have diagnosed and helped me fix my dishwasher, refrigerator, washer, and dryer.

Never had anything buy awesome help

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Oh no! You let the magic smoke out!
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7 to clevere1

to clevere1
First you need to determine the source of the stink - Control panel or motor (or what?) Quickest way is to expose the parts behind the timer.

For parts replacement, I've used Sears Parts direct just to find that actual part and part number. Sometimes I bought the part from them other times from local parts store or online.

Sears sells parts for ton of different items, but no knee or hip parts.

Just type in the CORRECT full model number and off you go.

»www.searspartsdirect.com ··· 14x00001

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
How old is the unit?

Since it was having draining/spin problems before the main failure, its very possible the original failure (drain pump) may have shorted and burnt out the control board. If so, you`d be looking at a pump motor as well as a control board, which may get pricey. You could just have lint/etc stuck in the pump, which would eventually overload the motor, and cause a snowball effect.

Havent heard too many good things about the newer washers, in particular the computerized POS ones..

good luck

-j
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Sux this close to the holidays. First i was thinking timer control. Now that you smell burning probably more than that.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Thanks all.

I'll be sucking out the water tonight, then removing the control panel and looking from there. I'll post some photos/models etc as soon as I can get the water out...

So glad I got myself a wet/dry vac last year

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Can you turn the timer to a non-burned out cycle that has a drain/spin cycle?

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

I was able to yes. Something is fried now, it smells badly and does nothing... I shall get photos later tonight.
clevere1

clevere1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Seems the unit is from 1998 or so according to the date on the control board... but they could use the same control board for years..

I got to the control board and timer today. The control board does not show any visual signs of engaging in "the poof" activities. Nor does it show any sense of smell signs of hitting the "magic smoke".

In fact, nothing in the control panel looks or smells damaged. Seems like something down below is amiss .. I need to get a mess cleaned up before I remove the panels to the washer .. going to do that tomorrow.

The model number MAV7200AWW. I've attached a photo of the control board for your viewing pleasure.

I'll be removing the back tomorrow to take a look at the pump. But I am concerned there are other problems because, like I said before, it did nothing this time around....

Bornloser
join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH

Bornloser

That control board is only for the water supply. Has nothing to do with your problem. Machine has a standard timer on it. Remove the belt under the machine and check the pump for bearing failure and make sure there is nothing in it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Parneli

Premium Member

to Parneli
I always recommend the Appliance Samurai and it looks like that is their new forum. I like it! That site helped me fix my washer, saved me a ton of money.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Thanks guys. I'll have a look see probably tomorrow.

I also signed up for the Appliance Samurai forums.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
Burned inside timer? I have seen that before.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

In fact, nothing in the control panel looks or smells damaged. Seems like something down below is amiss .. I need to get a mess cleaned up before I remove the panels to the washer .. going to do that tomorrow.

The model number MAV7200AWW. I've attached a photo of the control board for your viewing pleasure.

Timer is what failed from your description. Control board looks great.

FYI, Your unit has a belt driven mechanical pump.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Thanks. I'll be looking at it tomorrow night... The timer itself doesn't smell like burned electronics.... What else in the thing could smell liked burned electronics? Probably the motor?

former qwest
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
out there

former qwest

Premium Member

could be the belt.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

The belt is in tact, looks ok. But there are shavings of something all over the place....
clevere1

clevere1

Premium Member

I checked the transmission pulley, it turns as does all the pulleys on the underside of the unit. The water pump seems to be ok, no drag and doesn't seem to wobble. The belt looks ok ...

However, there is a ton of black plastics on the underside of the washer and all over the floor around it... kind of like when a belt rubs on a car ... But the belt looks ok.

Ok, so I got the lid off. The burned electronics smell is coming from the motor I also noticed that I can't turn the agitator by hand and I can't turn the drum by hand either ..

Also, any recommendations for a sub 800.00 top loading washer? 6 people in the family, so we do a ton of laundry. I found a couple, but it seems like people have problems with water pumps, etc on new units... any advice would be helpful.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Craigslist. You don't really need a fancy washer to get by.
Portlandia!
»portland.craigslist.org/ ··· 947.html
»portland.craigslist.org/ ··· 901.html
»portland.craigslist.org/ ··· 563.html

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

1 edit

clevere1

Premium Member

Wife wants "new"

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
This is what I am going to get.

»www.speedqueen.com/home/ ··· x?id=346

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
Our washer has acted up a bit for quite a while - it seemed to forget where it was in the cycle and start over. Or, if you left the lid open while it filled, instead of going into 'pause' mode, it would turn off. For the model we had, and most in general, the most likely culprits, in order, were the lid switch, timer, then main control board. I bypassed the lid switch - no go. There didn't appear to be a separate time - I presume it was part of the main board (??), which was $225.

We ended up with a Maytag (I know, name/brand means little now) top-loader, high-efficiency model. It's from Lowes and was on sale for $500. Got our first full month's water bill just yesterday, in fact - 30% less water usage !. It will pay for itself in just over (1) year.
Hall

1 recommendation

Hall to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

Wife wants "new"

She'll need to replace your fully-functioning dryer while you guys are at it then too. You know, so they match !

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1 to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Which may tag? Any issues with it?
clevere1

clevere1 to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
We decided .. no matching set... The dryer works just fine. In fact, I put new rollers, bearings and pulleys in it 6 months ago.

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
We bought a matching set of Whirlpool (same as Maytag) Cabrio HE top-load washer and dryer when we bought our new home in May. We absolutely love them. They are used often and save a ton of energy/water. I can get the model numbers tonight if you want them.

snailspace
join:2000-11-27
Montevallo, AL

snailspace to clevere1

to clevere1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqaV_VaSHS8

Watch this video,I had the same problem with my Maytag.
Easy fix,replace the belt also.