Westminster, CO

gibwar

[Speed] Widly fluctuating speeds

status

startup
Click for full size
downstream

upstream
I have the Comcast 50Mbps tier (before speed upgrades, I don't believe I've seen mine yet) and have had pretty good speeds before the last couple weeks. I never really paid attention to the modem (owned, D-Link DCM-301) but I decided to take a look. While the stuff displayed seems to be within specs of the FAQ, I noticed that 4 downstream channels are "Unknown" and the uncorrectables seem to be high for a modem that I only rebooted 10 hours ago (and the counters were near zero). When it came back up, the speed seemed to be normal for an hour, but quickly went back to being unreliable. I've attached screenshots of the modem status pages to this post.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

[Speed] Re: Widly fluctuating speeds

You need a tech visit. your downstream power levels a low, and looks like most channels are having problems.
CALL it in.
vty04
join:2014-08-26
Denver, CO

vty04 to gibwar

to gibwar

Re: [Speed] Widly fluctuating speeds

tshirt is correct. If you have already checking your inside wiring and made sure that everything was secure and not damaged, you need to call that in.
gibwar
join:2012-12-16
Westminster, CO

gibwar

I should follow up on this. I did quite a bit of testing with my connection and narrowed the culprit down to an old splitter that has a -5dB loss on each leg. Changing things around a little has made it acceptable and errors occur much less frequently. After doing some additional research, it looks like I might be best served by getting a TAP and using that instead (or just getting a new splitter with -3.5dB loss). I also need to pick up some shorter cables as I'm using some from a previous move and are much longer than necessary.

In case you're wondering, after the splitter, it goes to the modem and a HDHomeRun 3 cable card.

Does anyone here know of a good source for reliable TAPs? I haven't found a whole lot yet.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01

maxbrando to gibwar

Premium Member

to gibwar
It would seem like you have an ingress problem, all of the channels that have low to no SNR, seem to be on frequencies that correspond with Denver OTA stations. Check for loose fittings.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to gibwar

to gibwar
crazy DS channels 3,4,5,7 "unknown" with 0db SNR.