uniqs

LD_in_ON
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23
WallyWorld

LD_in_ON

Premium Member

Any ex-inmates from Kingston Pen?

If you're feeling homesick and want to surround yourself with the familiar "bedroom furniture" from your previous address...

You can snap up a set cheap. There are currently about 7 listings for this stuff, and if you look back at the previous sales, they're going for a song.

Current Example:
»www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng. ··· erm-clos

Previous sales:

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Ha!vPerfect stuff for those little concrete condo boxes in Toronto, also given the material is stable, fire resistant, it would be perfect for a kids room, cottage, etc.

Fibreglass/resin furniture was a fad during the 60's and 70's, the items are strong but it costs a bit to make them as each item has to be laid down by hand layer by layer. I am surprises this stuff was used in prisons, metal fixtures might have been cheaper, but of course this was run by the government so money and efficiency aren't important.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Ha!vPerfect stuff for those little concrete condo boxes in Toronto, also given the material is stable, fire resistant, it would be perfect for a kids room, cottage, etc.

My parents bought a fiberglass composite lounge chair probably 25 years ago at a home show. Substantial (maybe a little heavy for a deck chair) and curved, really nice. I'm now in possession of it, and with a little scrubbing in the spring it will be a wonderful addition to the pool deck. I'm actually sorry there weren't at least two of them.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to LD_in_ON

Premium Member

to LD_in_ON
I figure the university here should get in on it. They are building two new dorms here and with that furniture they can really pack more students into each room.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
A lot of it was likely made by CORCAN so labour was cheap (a few $ a day per worker). See the CORCAN Catalogue at »www.csc-scc.gc.ca/corcan ··· ng.shtml for what they currently produce and make available to Federal government clients (they don't sell to the public).

I could be wrong however - usually CORCAN products can't be sold to the public and are thrown in the dump rather than auctioned off.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Interesting, and shamefully wasteful if it ends up being dumped. It is possible prisoners made it, but give the nature of some of the chemicals it seems unlikely, you can mix the resin incorrectly (or deliberately) and start a fire.

There is something very fitting and yet disturbing with prisoners making office cubicles.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to LD_in_ON

to LD_in_ON
The fact that Kingston Pen has closed still is surprising to be, i lived one street north of K-Pen during my college years, and i never felt safer in my life. The building is a landmark and actually quite interesting and beautiful in its own way. I do hope it brings some tourism to the city, as closing the prison did up root dozens of fuards and staff from the city. Kingston's only employers are the schools, the military and the surrounding prisons now (all public dollars i might add), but there are really no jobs there besides these industries for the most part, other than retail or the old dupont factory which is closing down.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to LD_in_ON

MVM

to LD_in_ON
The previous sale went for $25, not bad really if you have a cabin and kids, just get a better mattress then what they had at Kingston and you're good to go.

Could also make for some interesting 'go to your room' conversations.

Blake
Link Logger

Link Logger to LD_in_ON

MVM

to LD_in_ON
What I'd be interested in from the Surplus this week is this:

Off road beasts.

Blake

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member