ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

Family Sharing e-mail address problem

What do I need to do to fix this?

When I try to invite my wife to family sharing I get the message:

Unable to invite nobody@nowhere.com to Family Sharing
You cannot send an invitation to your own account.

Her e-mail was formerly the secondary address on the account, as well as the Rescue E-mail Address, but I removed her address from both fields and verified the replacement address. The verification is shown in the iCloud screens.
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7

You should be able to just add her name. The Add function says "...name or email address...". I just went through the process to see what was involved. I did not add anyone as my wife already has her own iCloud email and Apple ID. I did not want to disturb that with Family Sharing.

What happens when you just add name only? If you are expecting that her name will be added to your email address, it ain't gonna happen. That is not shared, but everything else is, with an authorized Apple ID. You can set up another email address for johnandmarydoe @icloud.com, but that is as close as it gets.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by modelamac7:

What happens when you just add name only?

If I enter her name, i.e. Firstname (space) Lastname, the "Continue" button remains greyed. It never turns blue, as it does when I enter her E-mail address.

When I do enter her e-mail address, the button turns blue, I click it. Then I have to verify that I am a family organizer with a credit card CVV and press continue again.

At that point I have two choices:

The first is, "Ask this family member to enter the password for the Apple ID "p******@nowhere.com" Appearing below that text is a greyed box defaulted to "p*****@nowhere.com". A second greyed box has the text "password" in it.

If I enter just the "password", the "continue" button will not change to blue.

If I replace the text in the first box with my primary iCloud e-mail address, and then put in the correct password for my iCloud account, the "continue" button will turn blue.

I press it and I get red text saying, "Your Apple ID or password is incorrect".

(I made sure caps lock is off and tried it four times, and I needed the same password to simply get into the system, so I am pretty sure I am entering the password and Apple ID correctly.

The second option is, "Send nobody@nowhere.com an invitation" and if I select that, that's when I get the message quoted in my initial post.

Thanks for responding.
ArgMeMatey

ArgMeMatey

Somebody please dope slap me. I actually called them and found out I needed to create the separate Apple IDs first and then add them to family sharing. I suppose that was in the instructions somewhere.

Anyway, once I did that, it worked fine.