Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Mechanical Keyboards

I'm going to get a mechanical keyboard for my wife for Christmas. She already knows about it because I wanted to get her input as well.

She doesn't like that something doesn't register when she swore she pressed it, so I'm thinking tactile response is required.

Also, I'm looking at something not so loud (no Cherry MX Blues) mostly for you guys. You don't want to hear that shit on TeamSpeak every time you play with her *cough* Jobbie *cough*.

I was looking at the Razor Blackwidow 2014 keyboard lineups:
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· H6MG2H7E

The Chroma would be nice, but I think the $149.99 price range is a little more than I want to spend on a keyboard. The Standard Stealth has Cherry MX Orange, which I hear have some tactile response, but won't kill your eardrums on TS3.

What do you guys use/recommend?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

I have a Razor Black Widow Ultimate. It does have the Cherry MX Blues and I love it. Totally not for everyone though and you can hear it plain as day. That aside it is the first no Logitech keyboard I've had in damn near ten years and I'm pretty happy with it. It feels good, it is responsive, it has the macro keys, and the software associated with it isn't...too terribly bad. I think for a good reliable mechanical keyboard with a gaming focus in mind they can't be beat.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I use the Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth it has the Cherry MX Browns (Razer Orange) same clicky feel not much noise.

»www.amazon.com/Razer-Bla ··· 0IG3GSQ8

This is the non ultimate with no backlit
»www.amazon.com/Razer-Bla ··· 0ELNG49I

Love it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
My Corsair Vengeance K70 with the Cherry MX Brown switches is pure bliss to type on.

If you're looking for somethhing not so loud, Brown switches are quieter but still offer the tactile feed back when typing. You still get the "bump" on each keystroke.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I previously owned the above mentioned Black Widow Ultimate with Cherry MX blues, and I now own the Das Keyboard Model S pro with Cherry MX blues as well.

»www.amazon.com/Das-Keybo ··· essional

I really liked both, the only reason I got rid of the Razer is because it was destroyed in a flood, if I had to qualify both of them I'd say the Razer is a better gaming keyboard, but the Das is better for day to day typing and office stuff.

I got a new job recently and found out I can bring my own peripherals to work. So I may end up bringing the Das to work and getting an MX Blue K70 for myself.

EQ

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I got a new job recently and found out I can bring my own peripherals to work. So I may end up bringing the Das to work and getting an MX Blue K70 for myself.

EQ

That's funny you mention that. I've actually contemplated recently purchasing another K70 so I could use one at work. If I could get one for about $100, I might do it.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium Member
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA

cyrus360 to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I got the RGB K70 with the Cherry MX switches and like it a lot. It takes a lot of getting used to, especially when typing.

I also ordered the textured keys add-on accessory kit.

I don't find it to be overly loud, but it's not quiet like my old Logitech G15.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

That's funny you mention that. I've actually contemplated recently purchasing another K70 so I could use one at work. If I could get one for about $100, I might do it.

Every time I go to the computer store, I play with the K70, and I feel like it has the best features of the Das and Razer, I'm really thinking about grabbing it sooner than later.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I have a box in my garrage full of defective Razor products I have bought over the years. Two headsets, 1 keyboard, and 2 mice. On paper their products look great. And they usually get good reviews. Many people love them. But I have a shit experience with them.

The only Razor item I have been happy with is the mouse pad I have (which is awesome):

So, I'll not be buying any more Razor products (unless I get another mouse pad). I did just order a mechanical keyboard for my new system I'm building, but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't give you any feedback. Here is what I ordered:

Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB mechanical gaming keyboard

Logitech has never steered me wrong and I still love the G15 Keyboard that I've been using for years.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I did end up getting her the Razor Ultimate Stealth. I also hear reviews about possible issues, so if I end up having issues, I'll probably look at the Logitech next.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
This is what I have. Its great!

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Hopefully you will not be unlucky like me. My problem is that the cost of shipping was always more than the item was worth, so instead of RMA'ing the defective units I had to shit-can them.

But, that being said, what does she (and what do you) think of the Ultimate Stealth so far?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

i'll let you know after christmas. i ordered it last night

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

This is what I have. Its great!

Same here, I love the thing. My wife loves it more.

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I have the Logitech G710+ and if I had to do it over again, I'd get the Corsair K70.

If anything goes wrong with your Logitech keyboard, you will have to ship it to them to get it replaced. I had a broken foot on it, and they couldn't simply send me a foot replacement. Also, there's a huge thread about cracked keys and bad O-rings. Same deal, send back the keyboard instead of simply shipping out one piece.

I've had no problems getting one simple part replaced from Corsair.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Sorry to hijack but since Arch bought his I figured I'd throw this in here as opposed to making a new thread. My logitech k800 just shit the bed. It's not the first time it's screwed up recently. Re-installing the software and re-booting fixed it last time and will most likely fix it this time but I'm thinking it's on its way out so I'm looking into other options.

I honestly don't think I need a mechanical keyboard for what I do; mostly single player gaming and the occasional MMO I poopsock for a month then never look at again. Occasional competitive FPS which I'm really bad at anyway so hardware won't fix that. Plus I need a wireless keyboard to operate the PC from the recliner. The K800 worked perfectly but only lasted 3 1/2 years. Any suggestions?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

I did end up getting her the Razor Ultimate Stealth. I also hear reviews about possible issues, so if I end up having issues, I'll probably look at the Logitech next.

I've done extensive research and ordered several (I have a CM Storm Trigger and the wife/teenager both have Corsair Vengeance variants), and I have to say the Corsair Vengeance is probably the best mechanical keyboard you can get.

I heard the same troubles from Razor reviews, and generally don't like Razor peripherals (the Tiamat 7.1 headset being the exception to that), so I have to recommend the Corsair Vengeance.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

1 edit

Blockgorilla to Exodus

to Exodus
i'm working with Razer!! trying to get them tosend me a new black widow ultimate with the mx blues in it due to keys getting stuck in the down position.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Exodus

MVM

to Exodus
I have a Corsair Vengeance K95 with Cherry MX switches and I love this thing. It took a little bit for me to get used to it since I have a non-mechanical one here at work, but I love the mechanical keyboard now.

My advice, go into a store that sells these and try them out. I had the luxury of being able to do that and that is what sold me on the K95.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
said by Blockgorilla:

i'm working with Logitech trying to get them tosend me a new black widow ultimate with the mx blues in it due to keys getting stuck in the down position.

You are working with the wrong company there

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

lulz

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

said by Blockgorilla:

i'm working with Logitech trying to get them tosend me a new black widow ultimate with the mx blues in it due to keys getting stuck in the down position.

You are working with the wrong company there

I should contact Razer and tell them my G700s wireless mouse broke and demand a replacement.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
You have a kid, Kris? Teenager?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I would say any keyboard that's not an on-screen keyboard would be "mechanical." But...nomenclature aside, if you want to delve into the realm of tactile feedback keyboards, there is a Google+ Community for them, as well as a(n) FAQ written by its founder, noted open source advocate Eric S. Raymond.

i_opener_0
Geraldo's Mustache
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Richmond, VA

i_opener_0 to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Ducky Shine III user here with Cherry MX Browns. Couldn't be happier. Ducky keyboards may be a bit overpriced though, but their quality is second to none, and theyre not too flashy looking if that's your preference.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
Kinda. Wife's mother passed years ago, she has several siblings younger than her, father says he's done raising kids. We got custody of her brother when he was 15. He's 18 now, still living with us, going to college.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
If you come to the lan party, you can even meet him :P. He's been at the past 2 and has been fun to be around both times. Even when he's mafia

Looks like if the one Arch got me doesn't work out, the Corsair is the next best bet.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

Who else is going? Has anyone RSVP'ed yet?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to Antonica

Premium Member

to Antonica
You will love the Blackwidow with orange keys.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
A bunch.. go see the Pub Games thread..

»OT: Mar 27th-29th 2015 - 3rd Annual LAN Party and Mafia