spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

do NOT upgrade to KitKat if you want apps to use your SD card!!!

quote:
with Android 4.4 KitKat, a change in the way the operating system gives read and write permissions to apps has caused a bit of a brouhaha among Android users. ... the ability of third-party apps to freely write to SD card has been crippled.
»gs4.wonderhowto.com/how- ··· 0152036/

this is insane

how could they change such fundamental and critical functionality without giving us an option!?

I paid $$ for my phone due to this functionality - to use my SD card in it ..

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

That's why you find out the total changes in any upgrade. I'm still using 4.3 since I like the privacy controls. Lollipop doesn't look any better. I also need the SD card for app database storage.

Even on updating apps, check. I've had a couple of apps really change for the worse.
They were paid for apps, too.

I'm with TMO and I don't own a TMO phone. They can't push it to me.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Fundamental?

Critical?

I don't even use SD Cards anymore... My N7 tablet won't even accept them. If I need to transfer files to/from my tablet I use a thumb drive, or any number of wireless methods.

Don't cheap out and buy an 8gb phone.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

That's why you find out the total changes in any upgrade. I'm still using 4.3 since I like the privacy controls. Lollipop doesn't look any better. I also need the SD card for app database storage.

Even on updating apps, check. I've had a couple of apps really change for the worse.
They were paid for apps, too.

I'm with TMO and I don't own a TMO phone. They can't push it to me.

actually i resisted the update for a long time .. on my Note 3

bjt the messege kept popping up .. with "agree"

and one timet 1:1000 chance in a pocket it clicked "agree"!!!

i was like OMG!!

and it updated!

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I'm running an Oppo Find 7. Chinese feature phone with Color OS. TMO can't update me. Oppo has the update out, but you have to download. You can also tell the phone to ignore. Wanted a Oneplus One, but subscription nonsense got me.

Just an FYI:
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· ost-sale

I had trouble with some TMO bloatware - so I've been rooting phones ever since.

Everyone drools about new OS. They can't wait. I'd rather wait and see what's going on first. I don't need the bells and whistles. I need a fast processor and plenty of storage. I don't do entertainment or social anything on phone. It's a reference library and has to be TOL to get the hardware.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
said by burner50:

Fundamental?

Critical?

I don't even use SD Cards anymore... My N7 tablet won't even accept them. If I need to transfer files to/from my tablet I use a thumb drive, or any number of wireless methods.

Don't cheap out and buy an 8gb phone.

To some its is and personally why I will never consider a Nexus until that changes. Personally I want more than 32GB and be able to freely move stuff around and yes that is a fundamental OS operation, that has been crippled. Most devices don't run well when internal storage gets tight so its nice to be able to move stuff off but still have ready access to it..

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS to inGearX

to inGearX
Wow have you been living under a rock? This is old news. You have options to enable the sdcard again.

Root the device
Install a custom Rom

In lollipop there is currently a method odd enabling the sdcard without rooting it
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Hayward0

to Hayward0
This debate is always a funny one. I made do with a 16 gig nexus 5 for a year. If your loading that much stuff on a phone you need a tablet not a phone. I use cloud storage for all my photos. I have a drop box account with 500gigs of storage that is only 20% full. I have all the phones in the house dumping there photos to it when they are on WiFi. The a script runs and wipes the photos from the phone. The reason google was trying to get rid of SD cards is that there is no real standard for speed. Someone puts a class 2 card in the experience is going to suck compaired to someone using a class 10. Just my .02
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to inGearX

to inGearX
Root it and run one of several SD Card fix programs. I've done it on S4 and S5 phones with no problem. Towelroot is a quick painless way of rooting. The whole process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

towelroot wont work on new phones that were released like the nexus 6 or note 4.

The other thing to look at there were 12 million iPhones 6/6+ sold at launch and it does not have a sd slot. I hate to say it the days of phones with sd cards is dying.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

It does on the GS4, which is what OP was posting about.

I don't give a rat's ass about Apple shit.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
For future reference, I would see what recovery options are available to you. Occasionally, do whatever you need to do to take your phone out of service (such as forwarding to another number or whatever), reboot into a recovery such as TWRP, and make a Nandroid backup. It's like using Clonezilla or Ghost to back up your device, and if something like your recent update happens, you reboot TWRP and restore from Nandroid, and POOF! your phone is basically back to the way it was when you took the Nandroid backup. After taking your Nandroid, be sure to copy it off your device somewhere safe, because it may be necessary to wipe your phone in the process of restoring (such as unlocking a bootloader). My personal preference is not to replace the stock recovery, but to boot it by rebooting my device into the bootloader, connecting the device to a computer via USB, and using fastboot to do for example
fastboot boot TWRP.img
But it's possible you can't unlock your bootloader, or your bootloader doesn't work with fastboot (e.g., a lot of Samsung products have Odin instead, which does things differently).
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by rchandra:

For future reference, I would see what recovery options are available to you. Occasionally, do whatever you need to do to take your phone out of service (such as forwarding to another number or whatever), reboot into a recovery such as TWRP, and make a Nandroid backup. It's like using Clonezilla or Ghost to back up your device, and if something like your recent update happens, you reboot TWRP and restore from Nandroid, and POOF! your phone is basically back to the way it was when you took the Nandroid backup. After taking your Nandroid, be sure to copy it off your device somewhere safe, because it may be necessary to wipe your phone in the process of restoring (such as unlocking a bootloader). My personal preference is not to replace the stock recovery, but to boot it by rebooting my device into the bootloader, connecting the device to a computer via USB, and using fastboot to do for example

fastboot boot TWRP.img
But it's possible you can't unlock your bootloader, or your bootloader doesn't work with fastboot (e.g., a lot of Samsung products have Odin instead, which does things differently).

Agree with you but in some cases that wont work with some devices. HTC for one may change the hboot with an update and you cant reload the old rom.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

towelroot wont work on new phones that were released like the nexus 6 or note 4.

The other thing to look at there were 12 million iPhones 6/6+ sold at launch and it does not have a sd slot. I hate to say it the days of phones with sd cards is dying.

No iDevice has ever had one, and again why I moved to Android though I still have my ancient always lacking space iPod Touch 32GB for the few Apps I like only on them.

I prefer not to be dependent on WiFi or expensive and limited cell data to do things.

My Asus Transformer has a total of 96 GB. 32 int, 32 micro SD and 32 SD in the keyboard dock, and at the moment another 32 mini USB dongle in the dock USB port so 128 GB total.

Access to tons of pictures, music, and video with no need to anywhere near the internet and not hackable as the clouds are proving to be.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

If your loading that much stuff on a phone you need a tablet not a phone. I use cloud storage for all my photos. I have a drop box account with 500gigs of storage that is only 20% full.

Take a few 4k videos on your phone and see how fast that 16GB gets eaten up. Uploading those videos as they are taken is not practical in most situations. The alternative is simply.... SD storage. So I think the real question is... why not use a phone instead of a tablet.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

4k videos till the tvs are more main stream are a waste but I do see your point tcope
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Video in 4k now as it can't be increased later.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
Um towelroot is a last resort option for some older os versions. There are dozens of root methods. As for the days of phones with sd cards dying that is not the case. Apple crap never has had a sdcard slot. Note 3 note 4 note edge s5 all have sd cards all blu phones have sd cards most Motorola most other makes of phones. Some high end phones have 64gb or more internal storage don't have them but ma of those have sd cards as well. With new sd cards going up to 128 to 512gb storage the days of sd cards being a thing of the past is never going to happen. Now what may very well happen with sdcards pushing towards 1tb is ssd hds may end up becoming obsolete if transfer speeds for sd card type storage mediums can get to the same performance levels and there is no reason why they can not.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

jm101 to inGearX

to inGearX
I just bought a 16GB Moto X and am a bit worried about the storage but I figure it's better than the 4GB of internal storage that is in my current phone. 4GB combined with bloatware is horrible.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Nanaki

to Nanaki
You call apple stuff junk the same could be said for samsung junk... Samsung and apple mirror each other. They both look to control there phones with an iron fist. I think over time you will see samsung locking down there devices on all carriers.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Used my friends AT&T S4 running Kit Kat and it has the option to move apps to the SD card.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to inGearX

to inGearX
Formatting your phone once a while is good for its health. After all, more than half of the data occupying phone's memory is junk.

AnonDude
@97.95.147.x

AnonDude to tcope

Anon

to tcope
said by tcope:

Take a few 4k videos on your phone and see how fast that 16GB gets eaten up. Uploading those videos as they are taken is not practical in most situations. The alternative is simply.... SD storage. So I think the real question is... why not use a phone instead of a tablet.

Except you can still put that 4K video on a SD card to that point is moot. That still leaves phone storage for apps.
tcope
Premium Member
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

MY reply was to the post that an SD card was not needed due to cloud storage and the like. So my reply had merit.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
Um first manufactures apple samsung lg etc do not carrier lock their devices by choice. The carriers require it as part of their deal with the manufacture. As for carrier locked phones that is something that is going to rapidly fade away over the next couple 3 years.

As for samsung mirroring apple your not very knowledgeable about the phone market. If not for samsung and synaptics apple would not be a touch screen device. Infact there would be no touch screen devices at all. Samsung was the first company to ever have any sort of screen input back when screen input required a light pen. That was samsungs tech. Early touch screens were also samsung. More modern touch digitizers are partly samsung and partly synaptics. Synaptics is who makes your touch pads chip on your laptop be that a mac or windows/linux based machine. That touch pad aka track pad is synaptics driven. The only other company out there with touch and pen input that has their own system is wacom who makes the highest res pen input system on the market.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

Nova

the parts of the phone is not the issue you made a statement that apples phones are crap. I was stating samsungs phones are crap. Samsungs phones mirror what apple has done. Button on the chin of the device ring a bell. There is a reason samsung has to pay apple billions for copyright infringement.

I was not talking about carrier locks either. Im talking about locking down the devices os which is samsungs or any other oems right. I have not owned a carrier locked device for a great while.

The consumer does not care what parts of the phone are made by what company only what is on the outer shell.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

apple was not the first to do that btw. Pre smart phones such as the lg rumor touch had that im stareing at one right now (my own) And while apple was at it why didn't they sue any of the companys that made the my touch phones? Or how about lg or any of the others? Answer is simple dirty pool. Honestly if i was samsung i would put the gentle pressure that would be needed on the companies producing the digitizer tech that apple uses to not renew the lic and watch apple die. Apple again would not even exist with out samsung.
Samsung screens just as a example are found in a dozen different phones htc lg and nokia to name 3. apple sued samsung because they were and still are inferior to samsung and they know it. They sued only out of spite else they would have went after lg htc Motorola etc all.

As for the consumer not caring consumers for the most part are a uneducated lot who buy what the media sells them. Most often to their own detriment. I work on these damn things daily so i can say with some real authority on the subject that samsungs s3 to Sx home button is just like every other blister type button that has been made for decades. Blackberry's scroll ball has a blister type button under it. as does the rumor touch by lg such as i use. Dozens of non smart phones used the button at the chin or even more than 1 of them again like the rumor touch. Apple sued samsung hoping that they would not use a physical home button for fear of their bottom line being hurt yet Samsung still uses it. So in the end all apple did was show how anti competitive they truelly are. They are afraid of other companies period.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

ok that where we have to disagree. Samsungs pre galaxy phones sucked. They copied the iPhone with the fascinate then there galaxy line took off. Before that samsung was a small player in smartphones. And samsung is now losing market share because there phones are not that different from generation to generation. The note edge is a nice gimmick but not worth 925.00. I am really interested to see what direction the s6 goes since they got rid of the guys that designed the s5.

As for apple doing it first they may not have been but they patented it first.

as for pressure from digitizer makers not going to happen because those patents are FRAND patents.

To me if you are in phone repair you should love the fact that apple makes screen replacement east compaired to other oems.

And no I dont have an apple phones and never will.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

LOL easier? you kidding right? Iphone 5 on up is not to bad but 4s are a nightmare. I have to fully gut a iphone 4 to replace the screen. I can also do a glass only on any galaxy line of phone up to the 5 (not had a chance to try a 5 yet) with out so much as turning the phone off in just under to just over a hour. BLU brand phones are a strait up joy to work on smart logical builds with every thing where you would expect it to be and just as many screws as needed to hold it together.

Iphone 6 line while built like the 5 is cost prohibitive for full lcd meaning i need to figure out some technique to remove the glass from it with out breaking the digitizer and lcd. Unlike the galaxy phones i do not have a nice sturdy back plate with the back of the lcd glued to it to support the fragile lcd.

As for the patents on the digitizer it does not matter. The chip etc will not be covered under the same patent. All the digitizer it self is is a bit of plastic or glass with a very fine wire mesh etc. All phone manus make their own (other than those who i mentioned before who use samsung display assemblies) The chip that controls it and reads it is another matter.

I under stand the idea behind frand it prevents me from doing something silly like um snagging a patent on say the wheel and holding every one hostage. How ever i fail to understand why digitizer tech would be under such a patent. As nothing prevents apple etc all from coming up with their own 2 or 3 billion to develop their own tech. I?ll take your word that it is under the frand patent though.

I know i would fight against it tooth and nail. Why should i have to provide apple with any thing when they sue me or same for any other company. If i own a tech a company that files a suit against me uses then i should be able to tell them to stuff it they are no longer allowed to use my tech. That alone would prevent frivolous law suits like apples from ever happening.

But back to the topic at hand. While i use a custom rom of kitkat on my tablet i have not ever seen any of the phones we sell where you can not move apps to the sd card. Personally with phones have multiple gigs of internal storage and most apps being well under a gig i would leave them installed to internal any ways. Do to the fact any sd card will be slower than internal storage your only shooting your self in the foot performance wise granted a very small caliber shot but still. I think people are afraid something like what happens with blackberry may happen on their phones where you can only install a few apps then have to delete to install more. Black berry though had only a couple 100 megs of storage at best versus a couple gigs on modern smart phones (i refer to black berry curve phones). Another problem with installing apps to sd cards is if one is set to run at start up and the card is removed you could end up with a nice head ache. How ever every phone i have worked with here on kit kat has let apps be installed to sd card or at least moved to.