spc
Search similar:

uniqs
carltonp
join:2014-08-20

carltonp

[Config] Routing on Layer 2 Switch

Hello Community,

Can someone remind me how to configure routing between vlans on Cisco WS-C2960X-48FPS switch.

I know you can't configure a routing protocol, but I can't remember how to route between vlans on the switch?

Cheers

Qsig
join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

Qsig

You can't route between VLANs on a Layer 2 switch, only layer 3 switch or a router involved.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

3 edits

markysharkey to carltonp

Premium Member

to carltonp
Sorry QSig but since IOS 12.2.52 2960's have the ability to route for directly attached networks and static routes. They can't do dynamic routing so a router would be needed if dynamic routing (EIGRP / OSPF etc) was the requirement.

switch(config)#sdm prefer lanbase-routing

Then reboot. Then

switch(config)ip routing

Then create as many SVI's as you need and they will route no worries.
You need LANBase IOS minimum. LANLite won't support this and none of them support dynamic routing as mentioned.
carltonp
join:2014-08-20

carltonp

Wicked

You're a star
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to carltonp

MVM

to carltonp
...proof again of there being the CCNx answer, and the "real life" answer *LOL*
Thanks for pointing out that "gotcha" there markysharkey See Profile

Regards
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

It's a gotcha that has allowed be to win business. I don't need to spend more on an "actual" layer 3 switch for SMB's when I can shove a 2960S in there for not much more than an SLM series switch. The work I do rarely requires a dynamic routing protocol for the LAN to function so I can spec a LANBase switch to handle LAN routing. This also ensures the only traffic that hits the edge router is destined for the internet which makes for some pretty light config on the edge, meaning I can keep my processor cycles down as low as possible, which as we all know is very important if the edge is an ISR router

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

...proof again of there being the CCNx answer, and the "real life" answer *LOL*

to pick nits -- the cisco curriculum is correct -- you can't route on a pure layer-2 switch.
now -- the 2960 has been given limited "routing" capabilities -- which no longer makes it a pure layer-2 switch -- but a simple layer-3 switch (assuming all caveats are met).

q.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

If I understand it correctly (and I'm sure Tubbs will correct me if I don't) the 2960S (or X) is the base option for an IOS based switch. Only LANLite software does not support Layer 3 capability. LANBase and IPServices both do, so for a pure Layer 2 IOS based switch is has to be a 2960S/X with LANLite.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_

MVM

Does it route IPv6?

In this day and age, I dont think you can call something a router any more if it doesnt do IPv6.

I certainly wouldnt call it a router.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by TomS_:

In this day and age, I dont think you can call something a router any more if it doesnt do IPv6.

who needs ipv6 when there is nat444??!
honestly -- outside of the colo and s/p space -- oh, and the fed gov -- no one is deploying ipv6 with any urgency. there's no real business driver yet.

q.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_

MVM

I really hate the whole "no one is doing IPv6 so why should I bother" argument. If everyone says it, of course there will never be much of it, and there wont be any case for it.

People have got to create demand for it, and people have got to create content to supply it. You cant wait for one to happen or it never will, everyone has to put in their bit no matter how much of the other there is.

Its a bit of a chicken and egg problem, but I think people just need to get up off their fence posts and do something about it.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by TomS_:

I really hate the whole "no one is doing IPv6 so why should I bother" argument. If everyone says it, of course there will never be much of it, and there wont be any case for it.

look at it from the operational (and possibly captial) costs for doing this.

creating an ipv6 addressing schema. lab testing. change window creation. outage windows. trial deployments. more windows. more deployments. cases with $hw_vendor. purchase new hardware because things don't work right. more windows. more deployments.

for what? there's no business driver. there's no killer application that is driving the movement of native v6 on the desktop. additionally -- if you're talking about internal corporate resources -- there isn't (and maybe won't ever) be a need for ipv6 in the enterprise.

its not the job of the enterprise to move to something wherein there is no driver. it comes down to the "if you build it -- they will come". develop the need for ipv6 -- that can only be used within ipv6 -- and let it start building traction.

i'm not trying to be intentionally difficult -- but we've been trying to establish training for ipv6: design methodologies, deployment strategies, working with v6, device v6 parity matricies, etc. each time -- we sit around the table and go down the list of times where we could have successfully injected v6 into a discussion with an organization. once -- maybe twice a year. and our services revenue is quite hefty. theres no demand. orgs play with it to say they are doing it. not much else.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to Qsig

Premium Member

to Qsig
said by Qsig:

You can't route between VLANs on a Layer 2 switch, only layer 3 switch or a router involved.

Technically you're right but cisco has blurred the line and let the 2900's become lite L3 switches (very limited number of vlan interfaces and no dynamic but its there.)

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_ to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
Well sure, if youre talking about a big organisation, sure its not going to be cheap if anything needs to be replaced, theres a good chance that a lot of it needs to be replaced. And we all know big business moves slow on things, so not really surprising. So thats a bit of a weighted argument.

But there are plenty of home users that could pick up IPv6 and start to create incredible demand.

I wonder, for example, how many people in this forum have IPv6 enabled at home? If you dont you should make it your geek new years resolution...

Home is a good place to start playing with IPv6, or anything really, before taking it to work and enabling systems there.

Understanding what can limit or impact your ability to roll out IPv6 will help you make more informed decisions about what gear to purchase in the future. And understanding how to configure it and roll it out will ensure you can do it as quickly as possible.

And while it may cost a lot of money to enable IPv6 organisation wide, theres no particular reason that an initial rollout shouldnt be limited to a small portion of the network - a canary or pilot - covering the sys/net admins only for example. Youve got to start *somewhere* before reaching the end goal. This isnt "flick a switch and its done" type stuff, the longer its left, the longer it will be until its complete.
TomS_

TomS_ to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

i'm not trying to be intentionally difficult

You dont have to try.