uniqs
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

Obi110 vs. Grandstream HT701

I've been using an Obi110 for a number of years now and have had no particular problems with it, other than I find switching between the native web interface and Obitalk somewhat less than intuitive. Aside from switching away from using GoogleVoice for outbound calls a year or so ago, the need to reconfigure the adapter doesn't happen very often. HT701s are pretty cheap - is there any advantage or disadvantage to switching?

I'm leaning towards "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but wouldn't have a problem switching if there were a compelling reason to do so.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by travelguy:

I'm leaning towards "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but wouldn't have a problem switching if there were a compelling reason to do so.

If I were you, I will be a stickler on this motto unless I can get some FREE ATA units to play with. I haven't done this; however, IIRC an OBi-1XX device allows other ATA to use it as a SIP proxy server to place an outbound call. Can anyone please confirm this? If so and in this case, perhaps you can get an additional HT701 (or an inexpensive unlocked version called BasicTalk) and configure it in such a way to use your OBi110 as a SIP proxy server so that you can place/receive(?) calls on your HT701 through your OBi-110.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

2 recommendations

Ken1943 to travelguy

to travelguy
I like having spares around. Got an Obi100 and ran it for a few weeks. Ordered a Grandstream 701 and been running that for a couple of years. If the 701 dies I have the 100, IF I CAN FIND IT.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

configure it in such a way to use your OBi110 as a SIP proxy server so that you can place/receive(?) calls on your HT701 through your OBi-110

That sounds technically interesting, but I'm not really seeing any advantage to a setup like that for my limited use. I really just need to support a landline, and who does much with those these days? If I did switch to an HT-701 it would be to completely replace the Obi-110.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by travelguy:

said by mazilo:

configure it in such a way to use your OBi110 as a SIP proxy server so that you can place/receive(?) calls on your HT701 through your OBi-110

That sounds technically interesting, but I'm not really seeing any advantage to a setup like that for my limited use. I really just need to support a landline, and who does much with those these days? If I did switch to an HT-701 it would be to completely replace the Obi-110.

Oh IC.
advocate99
join:2011-03-08

1 recommendation

advocate99 to travelguy

to travelguy
I have found the sound quality on the Obi units to be MUCH better than the sound quality on the Grandstream units. Grandstream often overdeviates and distorts.

Stick with the Obi device...